esee 6 and other options

I'm looking for a 6 inch, give or take, fixed blade. The esee 6 is really close to what I'm looking for, and I here a lot of good things about them and 1095 steel, but the thought of rust keeps me from pulling the trigger. All my knifes are stainless except for my GSO 4.1 in 3v. So far it seems like it will hold pretty well. I've never had any knive in 1095.

Any imput would be great. Should I just get the esee 6, other good options I should look at that are in that size range.

The blade coating will do a pretty good job protecting it, unless you live by the beach in Florida or something you shouldn't have a problem with rust.

The majority of my knives are carbon and I have no issues with rust. I just make sure to dry them off if they get wet and clean them after using them with something acidic like cutting up fruit. If you're really worried pick up some mineral oil for a couple bucks from the grocery store and wipe your blades down with assn old rag from time to time.

So far I've used my stripped ESEE - 4 for kitchen duty including cutting up grapefruit, bananas, cantaloupe and bacon, washing between uses.
There is also some light petting to heavy fondling with sometimes sweaty hands and I haven't had a bit of rust. If the rust stigma weren't attached to 1095 I otherwise wouldn't give it a thought.

eta- in all fairness I do think it has a lot to do with your environment. I haven't taken it to the Texas Gulf Coast where even stainless will rust before your eyes and I seem to have a low salt content in my sweat as I've never needed to wipe my guns down after handling. But I'm also careful not to let others handle my guns and knives.

OP, Unless you're one of those people that gives your guns the red funk after handling them or lives next to the ocean I wouldn't worry about rust on 1095 either if I were you.

Last edited:
Maybe consider a Bark River Bravo 1.5 in S35VN stainless. Blade is 5-3/4". Can also be had in 3V as well. If you like the Survive knives, what about GSO 5.1, 6, or 7/7. All great knives. Also you want to consider some of the Entrek offerings in 440c stainless. 1095 is great material, does require minimal maintenance (oiling the blade occasionally), but is will hold up just fine. When I'm done using my knives that are in 1095, I just spray with a little Rem Oil and wipe clean. Takes all of 5 minutes. Knives in 1095 can be had relatively cheaper than 3V or S35VN, so it may be worth the investment. If it turns out that 1095 isn't for you, you can always trade or sell here on the forum.

Last edited:
It's not like it will be pitted with rust over night. I got an esee 6 and izula, they usually get a surface rust over night if I don't wipe them down, But easily sharpens or stropped out.

ESEE makes great knives, and you won't make a mistake buying the 6. But in your situation, I'd go for the Boker Vox Rold. The D2 is more rust resistant than 1095 and there'a coated version too. But maybe I'ma little biased because I love mine ;-)
But if you go 1095-go Esee and keep the coating on!

The Boker Vox Rold is a nice looking knike, but I see its made in china... I try not to buy from china

I have an ESEE 3 and 4 that I have used for years. Even taken them fishing in salt water. A little maintenance and they are all good. I get a few little rust spots from time to time but it is rare! I would not worry about rust unless you are in the ocean everyday!

ESEE makes great knives, and you won't make a mistake buying the 6. But in your situation, I'd go for the Boker Vox Rold. The D2 is more rust resistant than 1095 and there'a coated version too. But maybe I'ma little biased because I love mine ;-)
But if you go 1095-go Esee and keep the coating on!

Good looking knife but the handles look like shit. They need to put panels on that follow the lines of the knife and not look like someone just slapped on a pair off another knife.
No way can that be comfortable either.

I have had very little issues with rust on my carbon steel fixed blades, it is all in how you care for the blade dont leave the blade in a wet sheath or leave it out in the rain. If you do use it when it is wet just dry it off afterwards. With that being said I think the ESEE 6 is a fine knife and I have loved mine but decided to retire it for a different blade.

Good looking knife but the handles look like shit. They need to put panels on that follow the lines of the knife and not look like someone just slapped on a pair off another knife.
No way can that be comfortable either.

Quite the opposite in fact, the handles are very comfortable.
The contours fill a small/medium hand quite good and the end of the handle keeps you from slipping off when chopping

Lionsteel has a new M7 RamZar just posted about that is damn impressive.

Definitely worth considering. Well-executed kydex sheath, too.

Ok, I'll add the M7 to my list. For the money it looks like I could get two esee 6's for the price of a M7. I do like the sound of an up graded D2 steel though. I was also looking at a Tops Dart. This would be a lot easier if I could look at and handle them all together. It's hard to tell from pics just how the knife will feel in your hand.

I've picked up the Tex Creek XL from TOPS. Sweet blade, totally turned me off of an ESEE. 6" blade, 3/16" thick 1095 steel, leather sheath. Retails at about 130-145. I'm sure an ESEE 6 is just as good, I just find the fit and finish a bit more appealing.
tumblr_n320c24obn1rd4pxuo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3tkbmgH1J1rd4pxuo1_1280.jpg

Back