a1 with sheath
rc6a15.jpg

esee 6 with sheath
rc6a16.jpg

thickness
rc6a17.jpg

Fallkniven A1 feels heavier

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

I feel like punching you....... Nice knives and the shots is what i was looking for actually. Thinking about a Fallkniven A1/F1/S1 or a 6.... Now i want both.
Well that was before the Large Sebenza thats incoming in a few days... To many nice knives

I have a FK A-1. It is a fantastic knife. If you always wanted one... get it. You'll be happy you did. Sharpening convex is no biggie. It's a pretty low maintenance knife. The edge chipping issue is highly overstated , Imo. I've had no problems beating the daylights outta mine. Get the leather sheath , it's a lot better than the kydex , unless you plan on being around water all the time.
Thanks for the photo side-by-sides.

I have both knives (Fallkniven A1 and ESEE 6) and love them both!! So far, they've both performed flawlessly for any task I've needed.

The biggest difference between these is the warranty with Fallkniven only being for two years. But, the performance capability of the A1 outweighs the warranty issue in my opinion.

I haven't had a Fallkniven yet, but I will eventually. They are pretty nice blades, but I can't really see them doing something more then the knives I already have in the size range.

Nice comparo! The Fallkniven A1 and S1 have both been on my list of knives to get for a few years. My first "good" fixed blade was the F1 I bought a few years ago before I got into RAT/ESEE knives. I've since bought the Izula, RC-3, RC-4, RC-6, Lite Machete and Spyderco Jerry Hossom Forester.
I might have to revisit the A1 and S1 (though a Thor would be sweet too!).

How do the 6 and the A1 compare in use?

I would say the RC6 1095 is tougher than the VG10 of the A1. The VG10 might chip a little if you baton through wood and the blade hits the ground. It might nick. I have both knives.

RC6 - Tougher steel but will rust. Better suited for a survival knife IMO due to overall strength. Wont chip easily. Micarta is nice.

A1 - Stainless. More brittle. Wont rust easily. Sexy knife. Grippy handle.

Both great knives. RC6 has the warranty. A1 has the stainless. I believe that for a survival knife/camping knife, 1095 is the best choice. There are some that agree and some that do not. Thats just life. These have been my experiences with both knives. If i had to choose 1 knife only, the RC6 would be on my belt. No doubt. If you are not going to be splitting wood or chopping at all, the A1 might be the knife for you, but then you might as well get a smaller knife like the F1.

just my 0.2

I've been thinking about picking up an A1....might sound strange but in the sheath it reminds me of a bait knife my grandpa had when I was a kid....not excited about the sheath. Its the knife that is the main point anyways, and it looks awesome. It gets rave reviews. Still not sure if I can justify it right now.

Fallkniven knives look so cool. If I was to buy a stainless knife they would be my choice A1 and A2. The 6 is hard to beat with the full flat grind and choil.

I have an F1 and RC-3, 4 and 5. I end up carrying and using the RAT's (ESEE) more, but I like the stainless of the F1 also.

Thx for sharing this. Definitely 2 great products on the market. But somehow I still feel more attracted to the & than the A1

I would say the RC6 1095 is tougher than the VG10 of the A1.

I'm not so sure. The vg10 isn't just a vg10 but a laminate, so while the edge may be on the hard side the fatty part of the blade is supported with a softer more impact resistant core.

Either way you rub it this is academic since both are stoopid tough knives, but after seeing what kinds of abuse the fallkniven can withstand in choosing between the two knives I'd hate to have to live on the difference.

I would say the RC6 1095 is tougher than the VG10 of the A1. The VG10 might chip a little if you baton through wood and the blade hits the ground. It might nick. I have both knives.

RC6 - Tougher steel but will rust. Better suited for a survival knife IMO due to overall strength. Wont chip easily. Micarta is nice.

A1 - Stainless. More brittle. Wont rust easily. Sexy knife. Grippy handle.

Both great knives. RC6 has the warranty. A1 has the stainless. I believe that for a survival knife/camping knife, 1095 is the best choice. There are some that agree and some that do not. Thats just life. These have been my experiences with both knives. If i had to choose 1 knife only, the RC6 would be on my belt. No doubt. If you are not going to be splitting wood or chopping at all, the A1 might be the knife for you, but then you might as well get a smaller knife like the F1.

just my 0.2

There isnt anything to gripe about the A1. The spine of the A1 can be used as a firesteel striker, the ESEE 6 cant without some file work and i dont care who you are, useing your edge as a firesteel striker is brutal, i always use the spine of a knife.

1095 tougher? I dont know man, the fallkniven would chip and the ESEE 6 would dent. Either way you made contact witht he ground and you werent smart enough to have another piece of wood/stump underneath what you were battoning through..either way your edge is goofed.

I had a fallkniven A1 but sold it and have regretted it ever since. On that note, through use and testing/observation you cant go wrong with any ESEE knife. Chances are that the ESEE 6 would perform side by side with the A1 except for splitting firewood which the fallkniven wins by default because of how thick it is. Then again the 6 would be less cumbersome to use for detail work..In my mind though, getting down to the nitty gritty facts is like comparing brown rice to white rice.

Just remember, if SHTF and society breaks down all you are going to have on your hip is a knife. be it a buck 110 fixed blade, an ESEE 6 or a Fallkniven A1, no warranty of any sort, just your common sense. That knife will be your lifeline, so know it, love it and take care of it, cause if you dont it cant take care of you and there wont be anyone to send the knife to to get repaired or replaced.

G1

For my money, I will take the 6. The carbon steel, warrany, and a lot of little design features of the knife make it more worth my money, at least in my eye, when compared to a more expensive Fallkniven.

ESEE's product has really stolen everyone else's thunder in my own collecting habits these days.

On the note of Fallkniven, has anyone seen their MC1? It's not as entirely practical as some of the rest of their line, but that is one BAD knife. :thumbup:

Back