ESEE for hunting

Izula is great for cleaning deer and turkey in the field. Also like it for skinning, however I prefer a longer and thinner blade when butchering.

Also if you are in an area where you may be at risk of not making it back to your pre-established shelter for the night, you might be a little, "under knifed" when it comes to shelter building with an izula, but if you have a tube tent with you, you should be alright, depending on the weather/area.

Just out of curiosity, do snipe taste good? I have never seen them around where I live, but we do have a season on them.

100_5085.jpg

100_5008.jpg

100_5021.jpg

100_5103.jpg

100_5124.jpg

Ive used the Izula the RC-6 and an RC-3 to process game, the RC-3 is the best choice out of those three for its size and ease of cleaning. The Izula wrapped with paracord became a mess and a waste of paracord, it was also a little small when splitting the ribs. The RC-6 was a bit large for detail work.
I have used my RC-3 on 3 or so deer and plunty of other small game it gets the job done.

For field dressing a deer, all you need is an IZULA. I prefer to add the micarta scales.

For skinning deer, the ESEE-3 is great, and it would also work for field dressing.

For elk, I like to move up one size, so an ESEE-3 for field dressing, an ESEE-4 for skinning and quartering.

Great photos. Would like permission to use these on our web site.

with the exception of splitting the rib cage (even that can be handled by a small knife by getting into the cartilage just to the side of the breast bone) , I can't see why you'd need more knife than the Izula for any game animal- you can certainly use more knife if your inclined, but no real need IMO

if your quartering critters, then a saw or small axe will be need to be added- for field dressing and field boning a small (sharp) fixed blade is all you need

Processed lamb and deer with my 5, it worked fine. I liked the longer blade for cutting/wrapping as opposed to the izula

i'm going to use an Izula for deer season this fall. seems to be enough for me. i had a buck paklite last season....so i'm pretty sure the Izzy will be up to the task.

I've used an Izula and an Izula II. I prefer the II. It's perfect for field dressing.

For those of you ESEE fans that hunt....In your opinion which ESEE blade is best for your North American hunting needs where the primary requirement is field dressing game? That being said while you are out you'll run into other opportunities to use a blade. Just curious which blade you'd take along if you could only fit one in your bag?

My suggestion would be the 3 if it is to be used only/primarily for field dressing deer.

Ive used the Izzy, 3, 4 and 6, for everything from squirrels to deer and bear. That being said i travel with the 6 Always and the 6 does it for me, no problems. If i get in a pinch and need some heavy help 6 is there, its not a caper but it will work. I always have a small pocket knife tucked away if need arises. Besides lets get real how many of you guys are going to have 1 knife:D.

Back