ESEE pictures and chat ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

If you cut something, please share.
You are in luck! Although I rarely cut much cardboard, I happened to have some double-layer corrugated cardboard handy that needed cutting. But first some measurements on the Sencillo.

Edge-On-Up BESS readings at five spots spaced along the edge, in grams:
Code:
Near tip:   202
...         156
Midpoint:   132
...         124
Near heel:  172
This is much better than most factory edges from major brands, but not quite as sharp as my other three ESEEs (Izula, Xancudo, and 4).

The edge bevel is 19 degrees on one side, 20 degrees on the other, plus or minus 1 degree, as measured with a laser goniometer. The bevel is a very nice V shape, hardly any convexity. This is excellent work and typical for ESEE. Whether you like the angles is a matter of personal preference. But the angles are too wide for really good cardboard slicing.

As to the cardboard, I will tell you the results for some other knives to put things in context. The box was about 13x15x23 inches, and I wanted to flatten it. At first, I was not thinking about comparing knives, but that just sort of happened.

I have been comparing box cutters lately. First, I grabbed an XW box cutter because it was handy. That was a complete failure, even though the blade was about BESS 120. It's hard to measure edge angles on such a small blade. But for whatever reason, it just would not cut the cardboard.

Tried another XW with a new blade. It would cut the cardboard, but it was very difficult.

I pulled the Hogue Deka with Magnacut out of my pocket. It is about BESS 230 on average with bevel angles of 23 and 37 degrees. I would subjectively rate it poor at cutting cardboard. I need to reprofile it.

Next was a Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 with H1, average BESS score around 220, 15 degrees per side. I rate it very good at cutting cardboard.

Benchmade Bugout with M390, BESS 200, 23 and 21 degrees, good, but not as good as my old blue Bugout with S30V, 18 degrees per side. I don't have BESS scores handy for the blue one, but I would say it's a bit dull and very good at cutting cardboard.

Microtech MSI, M390MK, fully serrated, under BESS 100, excellent.

Cold_Steel Finn Wolf, AUS-8A, around BESS 120, 11 degrees per side, superb. I used this to finish flattening the box, but I still have enough cardboard for more testing.

So just now I tried the Sencillo. I would rate it good at slicing cardboard. But, if there are lots of hidden staples in that cardboard, the wide angles and Magnacut might make the Sencillo a better choice than the Finn Wolf.

Recd mine a few days ago. Iโ€™ve been cutting everything wood, card board rope, tape etcโ€ฆ

The magnacut has great edge retention. It arrived shaving sharp and it is still shaving sharp.

Great feel in the hand. I have large hands, Iโ€™m a big guy 6-4.
I carry horizontal scout on non dominant side.

Its hot where I am 109ยฐf expected today and 100+ for the next week, normal summer weather. I went for a hunt before it got too hot. I had my ESEE 3 today.
Screenshot_20231210-092432.png
PXL_20231209_190122685.jpg
PXL_20231209_202553341.jpg

Small game hang around shady trees. I'd already shot and prepped a pair for the pot with the ESEE, so I filmed this cheeky hare. He can wait for another day.

Hit 44 in my back yard here in Sydney yesterday mate. I am no great fan of the heat ! Reminds me of being a kid and standing under a sprinkler in summer though......yes ...yes I did yesterday !

Back