Estwing Afternoon

I picked this up at the local Home Depot to play with - thought it might look cool with a trim, patina and convex edge:D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now it might be a good little pack Axe

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have that same hatchet. I may have to give some of that a go. What did you use to remove the metal on the bottom side of the head, if you don't mind my asking?

I used a 4" hand grinder to cut the bottom out and one cut off wheel to trim of back and allot of water to keep it cool.

the estwing is the smaller 12"

Didn't it come with a sheath?

Those Estwings are some made in the USA awesome. It'll last a lifetime.
Cool Mod too.

I love those Estwing hatchets. You don't have to worry about the heads coming off due to poor wedges.

Interesting...but correct forum?
Dude there are so many off topic threads in this forum it's unreal so why not another one?:rolleyes: I think the decline of the outdoor forums is a direct result in the mods allowing the off topic talk in vendor sub-forums. Not that it's Becker's fault necessarily. The decline started with ESEE and the Becker sub-forum is just carrying on the torch. Or perhaps it started with Busse.

I do not currently own an Estwing hatchet but my my 26' camp axe is the most awesome thrower ever.......Love my Estwing prybars and their framing hammer is THE standard against which I measure all others.....NO MOVING PARTS, NO PARTS THAT CAN MOVE.......Yea.....

ethan

I have a had a Gransfors Bruks for quite some time, a wonderful axe, but I wanted something a bit more rugged so I bought a Fiskars, however with this mod, I may need to try a Estwing, I only have a Work Sharp, so I doubt I could take off much stock though.

Made me dig out my Estwing No.1. There's just something about American steel and leather.

Ethan, It made me smile to imagine you throwing a 26' axe so is it a safe bet that you meant 26"?

Anyhow I love my Estwing hatchet and hammers. The leather handles are very comfortable and easy to hold. Not only do I have relatively new ones but I also have one Estwing hammer that is over 55 years old and still beautiful despite it's age.

Last edited:
Hey Rfguy....

I only threw the 26 footers in my misspent youth........They do age with grace and dignity, do they not ????.....I wish I was doing as good a job in that department !!!!!.....When that 26" sinks into the butt it makes the sweetest sound......Yeah,Yeah guys----no need to go there........I mostly use that axe for limbing as it has a pretty thin profile.....Light and fast......Great tools......

All Best....

ethan

right now at least, the new standard for pry bars for me is the Stanley FuBar III... not bad for $70ish

Ethan has seen this. it's a war hammer of a prybar. when the poop hits the impeller, that's the tool i want with me. two maybe :)

i'm led to believe they make a firefighter entry bar version... might have a finer chisel point for prying, and two holes for a sling :> $150+ if you can find one, AND if they will sell you one. snark.

always wanted Estwings, but they never did it for me, quite. mmm. maybe i'll keep my eyes out.

I'm a carpenter by trade and I won't buy another brand of hammer. My favorites are the 28oz framer and 16oz finish hammer. I've had them almost 15 years and they're still going strong. A scoutmaster friend says that Estwing's axes are the only ones that his scout troop can't break.

Back