Etching Logo on a Forced Patina

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on etching my logo.

I make carbon steel knives and usually do a forced patina on my knives, but I am having trouble getting a crisp logo etch. It seems like the porous surface of the patina causes the etch to be soft around the edges. I've been getting clean results on a normal piece of steel, and i'm going to experiment with etching the logo before the patina.

Also, I would really like to do a DC etch after the patina to leave a lighter colored logo but it also comes out soft. Any advice?

My method is to do the etch before the patina at the tail end of your finish grinding or sanding so you can do a pass or two after the etch, then it'll be crisp. Once you patina it doesn't stand out as much as on a satin finish though.

i have purchased a cheap cnc laser. by using nail polish and then then using the laser to burn the logo into the nail polish. Then etch it with the remaining nail polish as a resist. Very crisp clean logo.

That being said, imill3567 had a very good suggestion that saves the cost of a laser.

I never tried it, but could etching the logo before, filling it with nail polish, sanding it back and then etching the blade work?

Etch mark while in the white, mask mark with a piece of stick on vinyl, etch, peel off vinyl and use a qtip with a little ferris on it to just darken the Brite area.
I have my daughter cut me small ovals that covers my mark on her cricket thing.
Vinyl letter cutter.

Back