Etching Logo on a Forced Patina

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Zach_Ball, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Zach_Ball

Zach_Ball

Nov 2, 2018
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on etching my logo.

I make carbon steel knives and usually do a forced patina on my knives, but I am having trouble getting a crisp logo etch. It seems like the porous surface of the patina causes the etch to be soft around the edges. I've been getting clean results on a normal piece of steel, and i'm going to experiment with etching the logo before the patina.

Also, I would really like to do a DC etch after the patina to leave a lighter colored logo but it also comes out soft. Any advice?

2. imill3567

imill3567 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2014
    My method is to do the etch before the patina at the tail end of your finish grinding or sanding so you can do a pass or two after the etch, then it'll be crisp. Once you patina it doesn't stand out as much as on a satin finish though.

3. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    i have purchased a cheap cnc laser. by using nail polish and then then using the laser to burn the logo into the nail polish. Then etch it with the remaining nail polish as a resist. Very crisp clean logo.

That being said, imill3567 had a very good suggestion that saves the cost of a laser.

4. FredyCro

FredyCro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2019
    I never tried it, but could etching the logo before, filling it with nail polish, sanding it back and then etching the blade work?

5. Zach_Ball

Zach_Ball

Nov 2, 2018
    Thanks for the help guys!

6. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Etch mark while in the white, mask mark with a piece of stick on vinyl, etch, peel off vinyl and use a qtip with a little ferris on it to just darken the Brite area.
    I have my daughter cut me small ovals that covers my mark on her cricket thing.
    Vinyl letter cutter.