Ethan, how bout some history of your knives?

Ethan, when you get time, I would love to hear about your different knive designs and how you came by them. I know you are an outdoorsman, and survival guru and I would really enjoy reading about the different knives and what your thinking was behind your creations.

Thanks
AI

Hey AI ....

Check the thread about the RD9 ......There is a quickie history of the seven and nine there....More to come...

All Best...

ethan

Similar Characteristics of the Becker Knives
Typical of the fixed blade best survival knives, these aforementioned Becker Knives are full tang blades. With a Rockwell Hardness score of 58-59, they are manufactured using high carbon 0170-6C steel and a non reflective matte black epoxy powder coat. These robust, thick knife blades are vary from .188 inches to a full quarter-inch and give you the impression these knifes can take punishment.

The Becker Knife handles are made of molded GV6H glass filled nylon scales with a lanyard hole.

Most Becker Knives come with a Kydex sheath that can be carried in a number of ways. I like kydex knife sheaths because it securely fastens the knife and allows me to carry the knife upside down for easy deployment without fear of loosing it.

Becker B1 Brute
The Becker BK1 knife is known as the Becker Brute. Like the some of its other knives, the BK1 knifes blade is a full quarter inch thick. It’s recurve blade is nine and one-half inches with a full length of fifteen inches from pommel to tip.

Rather than a survival knife, I would classify the Becker BK1 knife more as a small survival machete. In my view a blade of this size is limited in the role it can play as an all around serious survival gear component due to its large size and weight. The length of the Becker BK1 blade tends to prohibit work of finer detail a true survival knife is often called upon.

That being said, the ability to swing the Becker B1 with force gives this blade the ability to cut through finer limbs, grasses, and such, which could come in handy when traveling through densely vegetated areas. However, if you need to chop, say, firewood you would be better off with an axe or hatchet.

The Becker BK1 weighs 22 ounces.

Becker BK2 Campanion
Occasionally I have heard the Becker BK2 knife erroneously referred to as the “Becker Companion”. This chunky, thick blade is a five and one-quarter inch drop point that is a full quarter-inch thick! Overall length of the Becker BK2 is ten and five-eighths inches.

Exceedingly rugged, and heavy for it’s size, the quarter-inch blade thickness of the Becker BK2 seems meant more for a longer blade machete sized knife. I’ve used my Becker BK2 as a baton for firewood and for some very heavy duty prying that would break nearly any other of my survival knives in two.

One problem with the Becker BK2 is that its slab-like blade is very heavy for a true survival knife and possibly best serves as a vehicle blade where weight and bulk is not so much an issue. The knife also works well in the kitchen, by the way!

The Becker BK2 weighs 14.6 ounces.

Becker BK3 TacTool
The Becker BK3 knife is known as the TacTool and meant to be somewhat of a multi-purpose knife. This rectangular knife has a length of twelve and one-half inches. The seven-inch blade of the Becker Bk3 is about one-third serrated at its base.

Although I am not necessarily a big fan of serrated survival blades, they do have their place when cutting man-made fibers such as nylon or 550 paracord over traditionally bladed knives.

The Becker BK3 also features a blunt end blade that could find some use as a wood planer, for example. Opposite the cutting side of the blade is a notch for breaking wire.

The TacTool is designed to pry, hammer, and cut, which makes it a good urban survival tool where forced entry into buildings is a plus.

Like the BK1, I find the Becker BK3 to be on the large size for a true survival knife according to my personal definition. However this is indeed a very rugged blade and would serve you well should you choose to carry it.

The Becker BK3 weighs 18.6 ounces.

Becker BK6 Patrol Machete
The Becker BK6 Patrol Machete is of true machete size, being nineteen inches long with a blade length of 14-inches. The fourteen inch recurve blade gradually widens from about one-third the way from the handle to twice the width near its curved tip.

The Becker BK6 comes with either a kydex sheath (my favorite) or a nylon sheath that dangles loosely at your side in the traditional method.

Again, in my opinion a machete often has limited use as a survival knife due to its size and bulk. Of course depending upon the area you are traveling in a survival machete may be just what you need.

Becker BK7 Combat Utility
With the Becker BK7 Combat Utility knife we are entering more into the area of real survival knives. In fact the BK7 is perhaps the most sought after of Becker Knives in the survival community.

Though the blade is a little on the large size for a survival knife, being a clip point that is seven inches in length, the Becker BK7 does not have the extreme (as some might think) bulk and weight of those knives mentioned earlier in this article.

Becker BK7 knife is made from thinner blade stock than the BK1, BK2, BK3, and BK4 blades, at .188 inches thick.

Added features of the Becker BK7 knife is a thumb ramp notch that helps you guide the knife during usage.

Still a very rugged and dependable knife, the BK7 is going into the range of typical best survival knives as outlined in the Survival Topic How to Choose a Survival Knife. With an overall length of twelve and three-quarters inches this scales to being a very large survival knife that may be a bit impractical.

The Becker BK7 sheath is not full kydex as most of the others but is nylon with a kydex liner.

The Becker BK7 weighs 12.9 ounces.

Becker BK9 Bowie
The Becker BK9 Bowie is something of a beefier, larger version of the Becker BK7. Its nine-inch clip point blade that is .210 inches thick makes it a large survival knife that for its size and bulk may limit its usefulness in being carried on foot through the wilderness.

Certainly an impressive looking knife at fourteen and seven-eighths inches in overall length, the Becker BK9 has a built-in hammer pommel as well as the notched thumb ramp seen in the BK7.

I have also seen a Becker BK9 desert series.

If you ever find yourself at the Alamo, Jim Bowie would be interested in taking a look at your rugged and robust Becker BK9 Bowie.

The Becker BK9 weighs 8.25 ounces.

Becker BK10 Crewman Utility
The Becker BK10 Crewman Utility is one of the Becker blades that fall into the range of good survival knives, in my opinion of course.

With a five and one-half inch clip point Bowie type blade, the Becker BK10 has a rugged 188-inch thick blade, the notched thumb ramp and hammer pommel and kydex lined nylon sheath.

There is also a Becker BK10 desert series that is popular with the troops.

Becker BK11 Becker Necker
Meant to be a take-anywhere knife, the Becker BK11 knife is also called the “Becker Necker”. The Becker BK11 Becker Necker is a skeletonized knife that weighs in at just two and a half ounces.

The Becker BK11 makes a very good survival knife due to its small size and weight but overall rugged build. The BK11 has a three and one-quarter inch blade with an overall length of six and three-quarters inches. It features what is known as a “finger choil, holes in the handle for lashing onto spear poles and the like, a wire breaker notch and bottle opener.

The Becker Bk11 is known as the Becker Necker because it comes with a kydex neck sheath.

Becker BK77 Extreme
The Becker BK77 Extreme is a very expensive knife that is quite large for survival knife purposes. Its seven-inch clip point blade has the thumb notch ramp and hammer pommel of some of the other Beckers and is twelve and three-quarters inches overall in length.

Bucking the trend of its usual high carbon 0170-6C steel, the Becker BK77 is made of S30V stainless and micarta handle.

The sheath for the Becker BK77 is a little different from most of the other Beckers in that it is usually a Special Ops tactical sheath that has a small stowage pocket for additional survival gear.

The Becker BK77 weighs 12.9 ounces.

Its weird how the BK2 weighs more than both the BK7 (also weird that the BK& is heavier than the BK9), and BK9.

Back