ethan, i like the beckers that arrived yesterday

ethan,
I got my beckers last night. I now have eight counting the two bk13s. I am imressed. if you make something larger in the 1/4 inch range for a brute or bowie I would be very happy. my favorites now are the companion and the necker. I took a 5 mile hike today and the becker is perfect for that stuff. I alswo packed a busse for the trip but threw it in the bk7 sheath. even if the bk7 wasn't coming I was still going to bring the handy bk13. the quality of all the blades are good and they come with servicable edges.thank you. oh and the height of the bk9 does add weight for choping. was the original bk9 so wide from edge to spin?

Hey scrappy....

I am very glad you are happy with your new BECKERs and I amalways happy to hear that people make sure my babies get their outdoor exercise lol...The blades is the same dimension in length and width.....I am delighted that the BK13 REMORA meets with your approval..... I have found it to be a handy little devil and I think you will enjoy it........

Thanks again for your patronage.....

All Best...

ethan

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

ethan
it looks like you are bending the blade. how far did it flex (degrees)? you didn't break it did you? :) I can test with mine but is the blade stiff or does it flex easy?
thanks
terry

ethan
it looks like you are bending the blade. how far did it flex (degrees)? you didn't break it did you? :) I can test with mine but is the blade stiff or does it flex easy?
thanks
terry
Hi Terry- I am looking at these knives also and have a bunch of questions. It sounds as if you are WAY ahead of me !! I looked at www.knifetests.com and still am wondering. I think these will have great edge retention but maybe not as thick or ? as others. I have also been told that the new Beckers have different specs than old ones ? Do you guys have a link of where I can look at the complete line at the best price ? That way I can purchase and see for myself like you guys. Happy Holidays !!

I just received my BK9 and complimentary BK13....Sweet! I showed it to my 11 year old and "she" said....Thats bad to the bone! She's right. I love the little plastic lined sheath for the BK13 to ride along with it's larger companion. I popped a multi-tool in the extra pouch and I feel ready for almost anything. I just need to finish it off like the fella with the BK7 survival thread. Thanks Ethan for the great tool!

AI

ordawg.
the specs are the sam but the bk9 is thinner than before. the steel is tougher than then the older models because it is hardened to a lower rockwell. I don't which will be tougher. quality is good thought. I would get the companion if I didn't already have one. I still prefer a thicker blade for the bk9 but it is nice and has a wide blade design.

Thank You !! I am looking at the 7 & 9. It looks like they come with the little 13 ? I will peek at the companion also . Don't know this board that well- is OK to give a link where you guys get these ? These look like a great value just need to get wired in.Any info appreciated as always. Happy Holidays

Hey Guys....

First off ...The picture was an experiment.... My long sufferring son was trying to teach his technophobic elder how to post pics... The photo is of me seeing how far a NECKER can be bent before catastrophic failure....I live far enough out in the weeds that we use satellite and the uploads are slooow....John will be uploading a bunch of pics tonite or tomorrow and I will be trying to post them as appropriate....This was not a deliberate tease....I did break the blade after about 45 degrees of flex...For a neck knife with a fairly fine point this is excellent........In chip out tests where I was going onto the grain of the wood with the point by hand there was no problem....In this test I used a baton to drive the point into the end grain of seasoned white oak, a very hard, tough, close grained wood about a half inch. This is as close to a worst case scenario as I can conceive and still be anchored in the reality of what a knife is designed to do....I would like to point out that no knife is designed to pry apart a metal working vice or chop anvils into submission...(if I am on an anvil destroying mission I ALWAYS take power tools).....If you take a NECKER afield you now know how far it will likely flex before failure...That is in essence the point of the exercise,ie I try to test stuff well enough so that you can have confidence in how far you can push my products in the field......To take an example...I usually carry a SAK Rucksak with which I have been known to baton less than thumb size stuff for kindling...I have yet to break one because I am aware of it's limitations and do not push it beyond them and would blame only myself if I did...These days I usually have a NECKER off pavement and my Rucksak is rarely in danger.....With a NECKER I no longer worry....

Hey AI.....Please tell your lovely daughter that I think she has extremely good taste....A trait she obviously inherits from her father...Glad you are pleased.....Let me know how it works for you...

All Best...

ethan

Do they throw in the little 13 with the BK7 & 9 ? Or is this some other offer ? I thought I read it on one of the threads ? Thank You

Hey Guys....

First off ...The picture was an experiment.... My long sufferring son was trying to teach his technophobic elder how to post pics... The photo is of me seeing how far a NECKER can be bent before catastrophic failure....I live far enough out in the weeds that we use satellite and the uploads are slooow....John will be uploading a bunch of pics tonite or tomorrow and I will be trying to post them as appropriate....This was not a deliberate tease....I did break the blade after about 45 degrees of flex...For a neck knife with a fairly fine point this is excellent........In chip out tests where I was going onto the grain of the wood with the point by hand there was no problem....In this test I used a baton to drive the point into the end grain of seasoned white oak, a very hard, tough, close grained wood about a half inch. This is as close to a worst case scenario as I can conceive and still be anchored in the reality of what a knife is designed to do....I would like to point out that no knife is designed to pry apart a metal working vice or chop anvils into submission...(if I am on an anvil destroying mission I ALWAYS take power tools).....If you take a NECKER afield you now know how far it will likely flex before failure...That is in essence the point of the exercise,ie I try to test stuff well enough so that you can have confidence in how far you can push my products in the field......To take an example...I usually carry a SAK Rucksak with which I have been known to baton less than thumb size stuff for kindling...I have yet to break one because I am aware of it's limitations and do not push it beyond them and would blame only myself if I did...These days I usually have a NECKER off pavement and my Rucksak is rarely in danger.....With a NECKER I no longer worry....

Hey AI.....Please tell your lovely daughter that I think she has extremely good taste....A trait she obviously inherits from her father...Glad you are pleased.....Let me know how it works for you...

All Best...

ethan

Thanks Ethan....she got a kick out of you pointing out her good taste, and I admit I did as well. I will keep you abreast of my appreciation. I can say that it my initial impression is this could be one of the best all around do it all knives. I believe it is very well balanced for fine work, and also more then adaquate for heavy work. I think it has great length to baton, or use as a draw knife. I think the sheath design with smaller knife and pocket make for a truely exceptional package! Out of the box.....exceptionally sharp, as sharp as any of my knives which makes me believe that it has an exceptional cutting profile as it is a very large wide blade. I know there are better choppers out there, and I am sure there are better thin blades for food prep, and probably better knives for detail camp work, but I bet you would be hard pressed to find a better all around knife for these chores then the BK9....Did I mention it looks incredible? :D

Thanks again Ethan!!!
AI

Ordawg while supplies last they send the BK13 along.

I got my BK9 last night and batonned a few 2x4's with it, just to try out. Man that thing is nice. did a nice job making a spear point as well, but I struggled trying to make fuzz sticks, but that could just be my inexperience. Great job Ethan!

Hey AI...

Thanks for pointing out that the balance on the BK9 allows it to be easily used for small stuff as well......

Hey Chewbacca....

Thanks for buying a BK9 and I am glad it is working for you...About fuzz sticks....Try holding the stick in the weak hand, then with the knife held in the strong hand, choke up on the grip with your thumb on the spine of the blade(on the BK9 use the thumb ramp).....Then lay the knife on the stick at the approbriate angle and use both thumbs to push slowly into into the cut... I use this method a lot as it gives incredible control.....

All Best...

ethan

Back