Ethics of hunting ... should I learn to hunt deer?

HERE

Lets not fool around with shotguns, 10 ga or 12ga. Not even magnum rifles. Step up to a real MAN'S WEAPON!

Also good for any kind of Zombies. Even dinosaur zombies and elephants, whales, herds of whatever.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it . . . . . . . .

Well, I am glad to see I am not alone in how I feel about hunting. I love the outdoors, love to hunt, seriously dislike death and suffering, but I am seriously thinking about starting to raise my own chickens this year. As hunting season approaches, I keep thinking I will take a deer and a couple turkeys this year for the meat. Growing up there were an awful lot of people that would shoot the deer, cut the head off, and throw the rest in a ditch. That really disgusts me.

Growing up there were an awful lot of people that would shoot the deer, cut the head off, and throw the rest in a ditch. That really disgusts me.

That is seriously illegal.... Call your local game warden if you see it happening.

Deer are dangerous! They are not the cute Bambi animals in folk tales.
There are so many deer in flatlands, that I know so many people who have been attacked by them. I know someone who had a deer jump through her windshield from a hill on the side of the road. Her face was demolished - not the deer - the driver of the car. She looked OK after lots of expensive plastic surgery.

The deer are out to get us.

I know someone who said that her family is considering leaving and selling the family farm and home. Everyone in the family has hit so many deer with their cars that they are
SCARED - yep the deer are winning!

It is us or them!

Seriously, I don't hunt and now avoid eating beef or pork. I don't hunt because of all the hunters and bad shots out there. I might do it if I had a safe place to hunt. I am not worrying about the deer! I just have met too many people who were shot accidentally by relatives or friends (not the VP).

While I have known lots of people who have hunted small, southern deer with 357 mag handguns, I wouldn't consider anything with less than 1000 ft lbs of energy and that is for the woods - like a 357 mag carbine and a heavy bullet. If I wanted to hunt for meat, then slower and heavier is probably better than faster and lighter - I own a 270 and would load it for the game I planned to hunt. I know people who have taken lots of deer with a 243W in NC, but flatlands deer are 2X the size. What will work well depends on local conditions.

You can't use a rifle in Flatlands - it has to be a shotgun or bow.

I know someone who said that her family is considering leaving and selling the family farm and home. Everyone in the family has hit so many deer with their cars that they are

Seriously, I don't hunt and now avoid eating beef or pork. I don't hunt because of all the hunters and bad shots out there. I might do it if I had a safe place to hunt. I am not worrying about the deer! I just have met too many people who were shot accidentally by relatives or friends (not the VP).

While I have known lots of people who have hunted small, southern deer with 357 mag handguns, I wouldn't consider anything with less than 1000 ft lbs of energy and that is for the woods - like a 357 mag carbine and a heavy bullet. If I wanted to hunt for meat, then slower and heavier is probably better than faster and lighter - I own a 270 and would load it for the game I planned to hunt. I know people who have taken lots of deer with a 243W in NC, but flatlands deer are 2X the size. What will work well depends on local conditions.

You can't use a rifle in Flatlands - it has to be a shotgun or bow.

You have valid points about numbers of hunters. Thats one reason we bought our own property.

I gather it is some regional law that requires shotguns in your "flatlands" I could see that in high density people populated areas.

I use a .270 and there are numerous loads for various game. A great cartridge
We also use the .243 and I have NEVER lost a deer that I have shot at with one. Not saying it couldn't happen, but bought it in 1972 and have taken a huge amount of deer with it. The .243 became my backup when I got the .270.
This past season the scope went off on the .270 and the .243 scored 4 deer for table meat. I really don't know why I even with the .270. Macho factor I guess. and fwiw,,, we process our own deer from field to freezer. We don't eat no bad bambi.... Oh yeah.... big huge deer guards on 90% of locak trucks and many on regular cars.

Back