European Sword recommendations

Hi all. Sorry for the somewhat noobish post but I've been trying to find a decent European-style sword for a while. Unfortunately, I keep finding the usual wall-hangers for way too much money and the usual claims that they're "battle ready". In a nutshell, I'm looking for something akin to what my ancestors would have carried. I've managed to trace my ancestry to the Celts, Visigoths, Romans, Normans (mother's ancestors were at Hastings), and the Germanic Barbarian tribes. Right now the top one on my list is the Norman Sword made by Cold Steel, but I wanted to get some opinions and facts before taking the plunge. If it helps, I do have some experience with blades, primarily iai-jutsu and some training from some buddies who do medieval faires.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I would suggest any of the single-handers from Albion, Arms & Armor's "12th C. Sword" or perhaps the Del Tin 2121, 2120, 2131, etc. This assumes, from your post, that you're interested in a type X/XI, sort-of post Viking era sword. Good luck in your search!

I would suggest any of the single-handers from Albion, Arms & Armor's "12th C. Sword" or perhaps the Del Tin 2121, 2120, 2131, etc. This assumes, from your post, that you're interested in a type X/XI, sort-of post Viking era sword. Good luck in your search!

Seconded in all respects. I'd skip the cold steel.

For my 2 cents, you won't find much under 500$ that deserves the name "sword". I have never been disappointed with an Albion, can't say the same for most of the other production swords I have owned.

Thank's for the responses. It looks like Albion's Norman is what I had in mind. Now to scratch together the money for it. Ahh, well. While I'm saving up, I can do more research, learn more about swordsmanship, etc.

first three posts are spot on, can't get a good sword for cheap. If you do you will be disappointed.

Thank's for the responses. It looks like Albion's Norman is what I had in mind. Now to scratch together the money for it. Ahh, well. While I'm saving up, I can do more research, learn more about swordsmanship, etc.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Someone that not only will take good advice but recognizes that buying a quality product later is better than buying a mediocre product now! :thumbup:

For my 2 cents, you won't find much under 500$ that deserves the name "sword". I have never been disappointed with an Albion, can't say the same for most of the other production swords I have owned.

To be fair you have to admit that your standards are a bit higher than most people's. :)

To be fair you have to admit that your standards are a bit higher than most people's. :)

Now, that could be....like many other things, sword collecting is a learning experience. Maybe the lemonade is more enjoyable if you have to squeeze some lemons to get it...:)

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Someone that not only will take good advice but recognizes that buying a quality product later is better than buying a mediocre product now! :thumbup:

Thanks. I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mentality and nothing pisses me off like someone who cheaps out after recieving good advice not to and then starts acting butthurt when their item that "is 200 bucks cheapter" than the higher quality product shits the bed.

Thanks. I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mentality and nothing pisses me off like someone who cheaps out after recieving good advice not to and then starts acting butthurt when their item that "is 200 bucks cheapter" than the higher quality product shits the bed.

If more people were like that, our economy might be in better shape. Look at the number of threads in this very forum where someone is asking if that 75 dollar chitana is worth the money...

If more people were like that, our economy might be in better shape. Look at the number of threads in this very forum where someone is asking if that 75 dollar chitana is worth the money...

I know, right? People need to learn it's all about value, not price. I've had people call me a gear snob because I demand the best quality I can afford. Yet when their shit breaks, mine is still going strong. This has happened enough that I wound up learning how to pull of a pretty damn good trollface; if they're dumb enough to disregard my advice (and the advice of others who know what they're talking about) then I'm asshole enough to rub it in.

I know, right? People need to learn it's all about value, not price. I've had people call me a gear snob because I demand the best quality I can afford. Yet when their shit breaks, mine is still going strong. This has happened enough that I wound up learning how to pull of a pretty damn good trollface; if they're dumb enough to disregard my advice (and the advice of others who know what they're talking about) then I'm asshole enough to rub it in.

LOL. Trollface, I like that. Good luck in your searching. Remember too, that there are various custom makers out there as well. Also you might want to try the guys at OlliN sword design. They do some nice work as well.

One other thing Will_1400, a really nice sword like an Albion, A&A, etc. deserves an equally nice historically accurate scabbard and scabbard suspension. A plain leather cover/sheath will do for transport, but a really nice, spot-on scabbard completes the package!;):thumbup::)

I guess what I'm looking for is an heirloom quality blade. Something I can learn to use and then pass the knowledge on to my decendants (along with the sword, of course... in my will. lol). Those blades from Sabrersmith are an example of what I was talking about earlier: just 100 bucks or so more puts me in Del Tin territory so why waste the cash when I'm probably going to get a higher qualty blade anyways?

ETA: they also talk about how their method of blade making (stock removal) is faster than forging. If a company comes right out and says they're making swords as fast as possible, that makes me dubious as to the quality of their product.

One other thing Will_1400, a really nice sword like an Albion, A&A, etc. deserves an equally nice historically accurate scabbard and scabbard suspension. A plain leather cover/sheath will do for transport, but a really nice, spot-on scabbard completes the package!;):thumbup::)

Point taken. Know any good scabbard makers or, even better, info on what makes a good scabbard so I can do the proper research?

Immediately, right off the top of my head: Tritonworks. Google it. Amazing and high quality work.:thumbup:

Back