Ever follow the "Buy them all!" suggestion?

Ya know how, sometimes, you'll ask on the forum about several knives and some smartalic :p will say, "Buy them all!" ?

Have you ever ACTUALLY DONE IT?

I have. It's actually not such an absurd idea.:eek:

I don't mind spending money on a bunch of knives as long as I can sell or trade them later. If you can do it, try it.

For example, I had a couple recent posts asking about heavy-duty fixed-blade knives and if they could handle heavy work, especially prying.

I ended up buying several even though I know I only want one or two. I've got a Cold Steel Trailmaster. I've got coming a Becker TacTool and a SOG Tigershark and I'm working on deals for a Becker Brute and a Buck General.

So, NOW, I'll get the chance to handle all these knives first hand. I probably won't TRY them so I can still sell or trade what I don't want.

But my point is...
If you DO have some free cash for an experiment like this (especially since you can get it back in cash or knives) it's ACTUALLY NOT an ABSURD idea when someone says, "Buy them all."

I've done this very thing several times with things like neck-knives, small edc fixed-blades, "gentleman's knives" and maybe others and it HELPS!

I get the chance to hold in my hands, say for example: 5 "gentleman's knives" to get a good look at them and see what I like. Then, I choose what I want to keep and trade or sell the rest. With trades, I usually come out even or even on top a little. With sales I usually have to take a minimal loss. But I always end up happy that I DID buy several and get the chance to check them out side-by side and choose between them. Often times, I actually chose the knife that I didn't expect to be my favorite!

I know. I know. This might all sound very snobbish to those of you who can't drop the money for "them all" and I'm sorry for that. I don't mean to be. But if you DO, I highly recommend the buy-five, keep 1, sell/trade the rest strategy.

If you do take a little loss in shipping/selling it sure beats the heck out of spending the time, money and energy it takes to try things one-at-a-time until you find the one you want and it's worth it to have the ones you were thinking about side-by-side to decide.

So, the next time somebody, jokingly says, "Buy them all!", DO consider it.

I'm trying to buy all the Sebenzas I can, does that count? ;)

The "buy them all" suggestion I got was followed by "... because you will wind up owning them all anyway" wich was insightful. I have not, yet, but to be honest I know I will eventually. It changed my perspective a little and was helpful advice.

Chris

Back