EverydayCommentary take on Survive

Too bad. The basic gist of the article is that Guy is trying to up sales and popularity by purposely selling in small batches and the author is mad because he doesn't understand how to buy a GSO, Guy owes him an easier obtainable knife. There's a lot of misinformation in there. I could easily make a list of what is wrong in that article, but if you're here reading this you probably already know better.

Typical response of those who don't understand what SURVIVE! and Guy are all about. This guy clearly doesn't need a GSO and should find a company that can accommodate his need for instant gratification.

Thanks for sharing the article. I've never heard of that site, but I'm curious now.

I agree.

I am glad I am one of the bunch of people that has one of "the seven S!Ks ever made".

By his take I have owned every S!K ever made. I have had 4 different 5.1s, 3 different 3.5s, 2 necker2s, 2 neckers and 2 7/7s. Only two of knives were bought on the exchange. So every SK I have ever paid for I received. As soon as the guy quoted Mike Stewart, he lost credibility. Nothing wrong with Mike's knives, but Mike Stewart and Bark River were contracted to mak the original S!Ks. They werent up to Guy's standards and they had a falling out. Then there was the whole Ambush Knives thing. So generally most people fall onto a Love Survive!/Hate Bark River or a Hate Survive/love Bark River mindset. Not everyone, but most.

Last edited:
Seems like he's more upset at prospect of waiting than the quality of the products. This instant gratification and sense of entitlement in today's society kills me. Just wait for the knives you want from the brands you want and get off the soapbox. Or buy the readily available stuff from brands you want and pipe down. Either way get outside and spend time with other people. Don't just sit around on your computer whining like my 7 year old that wants ice cream NOW.

For the record, I just served my 7 year old some Fresh Market Vanilla Carmel Cone Crunch after she whined after soccer practice. I had to wait for 5 minutes to check out at Fresh Market on Saturday and I whined the entire time. I'm alone writing this on my computer indoors and I'm on a soapbox with thousands of dollars in deposits for Knives, Motorcycles, Guns, and other assorted quality stuff waiting for it all to arrive.

This guy clearly doesn't need a GSO and should find a company that can accommodate his need for instant gratification.

Spot on. He is bent at Busse too and they make a shit ton more knives than Guy. To anyone reading this that doesnt know. If you need "it" right now or next week, do not buy an S!K. Buy something like a Becker to fill your immediate need and then maybe pick up a used S!K or be patient and wait for the model that you want.

I have 8 knives currently on order with Survive (2.7, 2X 3.5, 3X 4.1 one of which is for my brother, 4.7, 6.0)... And it's well documented that I have one of the largest personal S!K "hoards" of anyone... And what I understand that this guy, and some of the keyboard warrior Johnny-Come-Lately pessimists miss is that I did not pay to preorder my knives so much as I invested in the mission and development of a couple of people in Idaho with a dream. Let that guy buy a Bark River... They're quality production knives for what they are... and I'll keep grinning knowing I'll be rewarded with a product he has not the patience to obtain, and because some great people in Idaho who believe in quality work and the American dream will build their "hobby" with a "community" the author of that piece will not ever understand. Bye Felicia.

For the record: I'm not anti-Johnny-Come-Lately, provided Johnny doesn't come with his whine over wait times or for a scoop of ndmiller's ice cream. So Johnny, if you're new here, welcome friend!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh well.
More knives for folks that are willing to be a little patient. He can have fun with his mediocre, off the shelf, mass produced knife.
Hopefully his readers will see this and make the right decision. Busse's and Survive's are on a completely different level than most knife companies.

It has been a while since I have followed S!K. I know they changed business models, but I had a 5.1 back a few years ago and you could just order them off the site right away. Did the business model change as far as how they produce knives?
I am familiar with how Busse does it, does Survive do the same?
I would be interested in checking out some of their products but (maybe like Tony on everydaycommentary?) I don't understand the Monday thing or how to order the knives.
Actually, I should probably check this sub-forum to see if there are stickies...
Anyways, I have seen lots of activity from around here pop up lately on BF, hope things are well!

It has been a while since I have followed S!K. I know they changed business models, but I had a 5.1 back a few years ago and you could just order them off the site right away. Did the business model change as far as how they produce knives?
I would be interested in checking out some of their products but (maybe like Tony on everydaycommentary?) I don't understand the Monday thing or how to order the knives.
Actually, I should probably check this sub-forum to see if there are stickies...
Anyways, I have seen lots of activity from around here pop up lately on BF, hope things are well!

Several ways you can buy their knives..

You can prepay (preorder) for their knives. They build them in model order and have the order listed on their updated production schedule. http://surviveknives.com/production-schedule/
This can (and has) takes a very long time.. and can (and has) takes well over a year to who knows how long.. so ONLY go this route if you are comfortable with waiting a long time.

2nd. You can keep checking for 2nds. sold as "monday sales" .. But these are not every monday and have been very rare.. when they do come up, thell will sell out the small batch of 2nds. in a few minutes so you really gota keep checking every day.. and it could be weeks to months just to get the opportunity..

3rd. Secondary market, used, or ebay.. Ebay usually has about a 50% markup over retail..

Hope that helps..

Preorders and presales are closed on everything except the GSO 8 right now. The 8 is a long ways out, they've quit estimating shipping times.

Monday sales are listed on their production schedule on their website and thus far have been seconds and some Ugly Betty's. You don't need ninja fingers like a Busse Ganzaa or CPK order but you still need to be quick. Shipping times on the Monday sales have been between a couple weeks to a couple months. There have also been a few custom releases listed.

The secondary market can be brutal but they do pop up on the exchange for reasonable prices from time to time.

Subscribing to the Monday Sales and Heads Up threads has helped me find where and when to buy a few times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ccc, glad you're here! Grogimus gave some great advice. When you have the time look through some threads here on your favorite models and topics.

Sadly we don't have any stickies yet, but we're working on it.

From what I can tell, Survive is doing great - better equipment, leading to increased capacity and improved products. I think to answer you question about what happened and why there's a "drought" of availability, the best answer is popularity. They're a midtech-style company with a product that can compete with the big names and do so at a lower cost. People have seen, and experienced, and shared this with others leading to a large increase in demand (without any advertising or artificial scarcity as this blogger would suggest). Along those lines and as others have already mentioned (and different than your previous experience), they really only sell direct to customers now (unless you were meaning directly off their site, in which case that part is the same).

There's definitely some flaws in the system (self-admitted). They're a 4 person (maybe 5?) operation and a lot of the major blade work is currently only done by Guy. But I think it's pretty hard to make any argument that they're not transparent or are trying to pull something (as some have suggested). I really like my Busse knives, and I too have a 2g ergo battle mistress on order, and I haven't heard anything from them directly in months (they haven't charged me yet either it must be said). But in that same timeframe we here on this forum have heard from Ellie nearly every day in some capacity or another as well as a monthly update newsletter and IG posts (I'm not on there much, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with the Busse forum). I'm not on Facebook but I think they post there also.

Wow, long post short.... Welcome, bring your patience, and enjoy!

Last edited:
2500 years ago Lao Tzu noted that those who speak don't always know what they're talking about. People who respect themselves and others make a point of learning about something before presuming to have an opinion about it -- and especially before attempting to impress their opinions on others.

I am not a knife aficionado but I do appreciate good quality work and I love supporting the little guy AND American made products. If not for a coworker I would not have known of Survive's existence and I'm sure we can all point to a certain somebody who let us in on this now open secret. There was a time when their products were definitely easier to obtain from the site but there is no telling how much their client base has multiplied over the last few years. After all, what started as a hobby has become a full time obsession for this wonderful team.

I've waited since November 2014 for a 4.1 directly from Survive and hopped on the pre-order for the starter knives the following April. I have learned that patience is a great virtue when acquiring Survive Knives. While waiting for my 4.1 I have obtained five other knives with all but one being purchased from the website without a pre-order. I have no issue with the way Guy chooses to run his business. Sure you can complain about money up front, he's held close to $1k of mine at times without me having anything to show for it. But I have full faith that he will deliver and what I do receive is the best quality for the price I paid. If he suddenly chose to increase production with a loss in quality would that really be in your best interest?

Two ears to one mouth - listen twice as much as you speak. Also, ten fingers - get to work cranking out more 4.7s!

The only change I would make to how Survive! runs the business are more realistic delivery dates. If I pay for something and I'm told it'll arrive in three months, then I expect it at that point. I don't mind the long wait times as long as a company is up front about it. Unfortunately, most S!K buyers are alerted to the fact that wait times are much longer than expected through a secondary source of info, these forums.

Last edited:
2500 years ago Lao Tzu noted that those who speak don't always know what they're talking about. People who respect themselves and others make a point of learning about something before presuming to have an opinion about it -- and especially before attempting to impress their opinions on others.

Wow! Well said! Looking at the comments there a lot of like minded (to the author) who are reading and commenting. Hopefully there are few people who are new to the whole S! scene being persuaded by that one poorly written article. A big problem is that he is informed enough to sound knowledgeable to people who don't know better. He knows about Monday sales and that they weren't very regular this summer and he knew about the short 5.1 preorder that recently happened. Then there were the massive misconceptions...............

I haven't had a chance to look more at that site, but is that what it mostly is? That guy or guys ranting about stuff they don't know about?

He's a good writer and does decent comparisons. I find value in most of his articles as a consistent point of view on knives, even if I don't always agree with his opinions.

He's a good writer and does decent comparisons. I find value in most of his articles as a consistent point of view on knives, even if I don't always agree with his opinions.

Despite his obvious dislike of SURVIVE! and their business model, it's too bad he didn't have more (correct) information to go off of. Like I said, most of what he wrote echoes comments I've heard from others that want a GSO and gave it an honest try for a bit, but just weren't around long enough to understand the big picture.

I initially avoided SK! because of some of that misinformation and my own lack of patience.... 3-4yrs later I sell off all my other fixed blades and end up back at SK! and couldn't be happier!! In the end quality prevails ... even if I'm still impatient [emoji16]

Back