Excellent 14 Minute Video-- A year in the woods--alone--

That was a pretty cool video, thanks for sharing. I like all the household items he made from scratch....fly swatter, coat hanger, dustpan, etc. And his simple but effective system for collecting water. The winter must have been a bit harsh. At least for me it would have been, being that I've lived in warm California climate my whole life so I'm not as cold-weather hardened as some of you guys.

Oh, and the one thing I'd definitely bring is my book, the SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman!

That was a pretty cool video, thanks for sharing. I like all the household items he made from scratch....fly swatter, coat hanger, dustpan, etc. And his simple but effective system for collecting water. The winter must have been a bit harsh. At least for me it would have been, being that I've lived in warm California climate my whole life so I'm not as cold-weather hardened as some of you guys.

Oh, and the one thing I'd definitely bring is my book, the SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman!

Thanks for watching it Brother

I've seen that before but I watched it again. I had forgotten some of the things he showed, like the fish/frog spear and the fly swatter....

Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

That was a really cool video. I've always admired ones that are able to get away from civilization for so long. Thank you for posting.

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and camping with him twice at the Wilderness Learning Center. He's a really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable. He had a picture album of the year he spent in the woods as well as a few hysterical stories that you won't see in that video. Thanks for sharing the video Dr. Bill!

Just watched the video; looks like a good time.

Myself, I'd bring a bunch of knives (of course), along with the requisite axe and saw.

I would definitely want lots of insect repellant as well...mosquitos are my arch nemesis.
Something to write in as well; with the solar panel like he had, that could even be a laptop.

Back