Excessive?

With a paltry .38 Colt Agent loaded with non +P Chiefs Special loads and a cheap LumiLite 2AA flashlight by my bed, I feel like a domesticated sheeple next to most of you!

About the cheap light, I'm just too lazy to remove the 8x SureFire from my work pants every night. It's usually a few more feet away, along with the carry folders in my assorted pants pockets.

Karl

P.S. Soon, I'll get the G-19 or the BHP (both with tritium front sights) up and running with a SureFire tac light, but I'll still use yesterday's Federal 9BP ammo.

It's your house, you do as you damn well please. If others disagree, that's fine, they don't have to have anything by their bedside, just don't try to impose your views on the rest of us. I'm not pointing that at any post, it's just a very general philosophy from my Libertarian way of thinking.

If I am a good law abiding citizen, I will never find out what you have by your bedside, and that's the way it should be.

On my dressar I have:
-a cheap asp copy
-MOD Ladyhawk
-Mini Maglight

On my shelf above the head of my bed:
-Spyderco Merlin

On the side of my bed:
-a tanto (about 16 in)
Matt
-Being paranoid is fun. It gives me a good reason to buy new stuff.

I sleep with a 12 guage next to my bed because my aim is off when I'm woken up. Even with tritium night sights my Sig is my second choice.

Ever since the Bobitt thing I'm keeping sharp things out of the bedroom until there's a cure for PMS.

------------------
The more people I meet,the more I like my dog:^)

[This message has been edited by horizonod (edited 05-15-2001).]

If I were married I would part with the wife sleeping next to me before the knife
biggrin.gif

Dark Nemesis

------------------
Crimson Horizon
Nothing but edge baby...
dark.nemesis@home.com

Knives in bed, are only if you sleep in a water bed.I woke up really wet one morning. Since then its a shotgun on my headboard. tou know what? I feel much safer.

When I lived on Long Island, and Gun Laws weren't as stict as the city, I had my Mossenberg 500 in one of those fake book shelves right above my headboard. Loaded with #9 shot, I was literally able to fill my bedroom with lead if I wanted to in seconds. I tested this puppy out at the range with the bird shot, and let me tell you...with in 12ft. or so...your butt would have been BURNING!!!

I now sleep with a neck knife either on or near my bed, usually my Patrolman. I also have my Cold Steel Lathi next to my bed-something which I have grown DEADLY proficient with.

When it comes to home defense, I want to make as much noise and be as messy as I can in order to get the guy out ASAP! Knives for home defense...NO WAY!!!

Steve in NYC

------------------
What we do today in life...echoes in eternity...
Every man dies...not every man lives...

I prefer a tomahawk, but I'm prejudiced.
Of course, as a retired police officer, I also think highly of my Remington 870.
And have the world's only Attack Basset Hound as an early-warning system.

I'd rather not deal with the whole mess of blood and the law, so I prefer an Air-Taser with Laser Sights. It'll put em down from 20 feet away and you can hog tie him up nicely in duct tape for the 20 minutes or so he will be out so the cops can cart him off easily.
smile.gif

------------------
Marc

[This message has been edited by Lomic (edited 05-16-2001).]

Golly. I only have 2 7-8" fixed blades in hand's reach, plus a 5' rattan stick/bolo, plus a nice 36" blackthorn. Been thinking about getting my 1911 back from whence it is loaned. Also thinking of one of Livesay's wands, and/or a sjambok.

Maybe that's why I have insomnia so often. Need more armament.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Well,I sleep with US Mil. cargo shorts and that gives me enough room to rest comfortably with my BM 350 and sometimes I'll add the Spyderco Goddard. I don't have any fireamrs, I have an RWS precision airgun, but that won't do me any good because its a four hour drive away.

I think awareness of the situation is the best defense we have... the Spydie is a last resort.

------------------
Spydies... Bet you can't buy just one.
ICQ# 117419996

Well, I sleep with a CRKT M16 next to my bed, but I dunno if I could get to it and open it after just waking up in the middle of the night. And I have a Starfire spiked axe hanging on my wall on the other side of the bed. Starfire weapons aren't sharpened (for stage combat, mostly) but I think I could crack a skull with that baby. My dad has a nunchuk next to his bed, and he's really good with it. I feel sorry for the poor burglar who breaks into our house!

Although, I've been thinking about this lately: I sleep very soundly, and I don't know if I'd wake up if someone tried to enter the house. We don't have an alarm, and we fixed the stairs so they don't creak. How would you know if someone is in the house before he comes in and either:
A) Murders you in your bed?
OR
B) Takes some stuff and leaves?

We don't even have a dog (although I think that's going to change this summer).

Asha'man

---------------------------------------

------------------
Ó caíde sín don té sín nach mbaíneann sín dó.
"Since it’s no one’s concern, then no one should care."

I'm pretty sure I could get to any of my knives within about 2.5 seconds. Reading these posts have made me realize I need them closer closer closer
smile.gif
Not that it matters, a burglar could dance around my room playing a tuba without waking me up
frown.gif

Its all or nothing.... anything less will find you with a white picket fence up your butt!!

No guns in this country, so Surefire 6P and ASP on the stand right next to my head, Benchmade Leopard (it's the biggest knife I have) inbetween my girlfriend and I. Bed is up against the wall, me sleeping on the outside, next to the door. Steel door and frame (loud rattling noise when someone puts those pizza or chinese delivery flyers on it, or even when the wind is blowing good), bars on all windows. Three locks on the outside door. Two quick notes - one, the Surefire blinds the s**t out of me when I turn it on in the middle of the night. And that's with the damn thing pointed AWAY from me. White room helps. Two - my girlfriend may not agree with all this, meaning she may not think to do it herself, but she appreciates the fact that I am ready and willing to defend us. Makes her feel safe. Which makes me hope she'll understand the Glocks and Mossbergs by the bed when we move to the States.
wink.gif

ZF

paranoia is awareness

A couple of people have recommended putting a knife (or knives) in the intruders hands, to make it look 'more" like self defense.

This is an urban myth and will more likely get you in worse trouble than before. Any decent crime scene investigator will be able to tell what happend, and they will want to know what you were trying to cover up!

If an intruder is in your house, and you are in reasonable fear of your life, then you can do whatever is necessary. Stab 'em, shoot 'em....whatever. But DO NOT try to change a crime scene or you will definitely spend time in the pokey. Sorry.

Back to topic:
SIG 229 .40 with night sights, Sure Fire Flashlight and Microtech Kestrel in the bedside table.
Mossberg 590 with Ghostring sights, speedfeed stock and M-7 bayonet under the bed.
C&S Hi-power and BM Reflex on my wifes side.
Chow/Collie mix at the foot of the bed and an attack Dauchsand "in" the bed.
wink.gif

Just because the whole world is out to get you doesn't mean your paranoid!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"May you live in interesting times"

AKTI - A000389

[This message has been edited by Kingknives (edited 05-19-2001).]

I'm like Rattler xx, I was raised in the "sticks", carrying knives and firearms from around 11 or 12 yrs old on and do not think anyone is weird or any other of these liberals definitions for wanting to be able to protect themselves or their loved ones. For me, two custom "cocked & locked .45's loaded with 230 gr Hydro-Shok, 12 ga riot pump oo buck, other side of bed, 20 gauge riot with #3buck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kingknives:
A couple of people have recommended putting a knife (or knives) in the intruders hands, to make it look 'more" like self defense.</font>

As one of those who contributed such a comment let me just clarify that it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Guess I needed to put some smilies in there...

--Bob Q

Back