Exclusives - Need "Thought- to- share"?

Reading this illustrates that most customers have absolutely no clue as to the business side of things and why America has so many people voting for marxism. :(

What are you on about?

This entire thread is a testament to the intelligence, fairness, and common sense thinking of this community.

Random thought: if there were enough exclusives for everyone they wouldn't be exclusive anymore.

Of course rarity leads to speculation as with anything for which there is less offer than demand, but if these were mass produced, would collectors still want one so much? I don't think exclusives are a bad thing or there is anything wrong with the way they're distributed. That's just how that market segment works.

"Exclusive" means it is only sold by that one retailer. This should not mean that they are trying to limit quantity in order to promote collector value. Spyderco as a company is focused on producing knives for people to use. I take that to mean everybody that wants to buy one, not just a few people that want to profit from supply and demand.

Frankly I don't see why retailers order the small quantities that they do. It's like free money, guaranteed windfall. I can see that a pink Dodo might not appeal to a large audience, but we have seen that Manix2 and PM2, in interesting scales and steels, will sell and sell and keep selling. I don't think any exclusive of this type has ever approached saturation of the market. I don't know what it would take- if 2400 doesn't do it do they have to order 4800? 6000? 10,000? Think of the profit if you can sell 10,000 exclusives at $180 each.

"Exclusive" means it is only sold by that one retailer. This should not mean that they are trying to limit quantity in order to promote collector value. Spyderco as a company is focused on producing knives for people to use. I take that to mean everybody that wants to buy one, not just a few people that want to profit from supply and demand.

Frankly I don't see why retailers order the small quantities that they do. It's like free money, guaranteed windfall. I can see that a pink Dodo might not appeal to a large audience, but we have seen that Manix2 and PM2, in interesting scales and steels, will sell and sell and keep selling. I don't think any exclusive of this type has ever approached saturation of the market. I don't know what it would take- if 2400 doesn't do it do they have to order 4800? 6000? 10,000? Think of the profit if you can sell 10,000 exclusives at $180 each.

You have to consider manufacturing capacity. Spyderco can't dedicate the entire shop to a large exclusive run and let other exclusives, production, and R&D suffer. There has to be a balance. By keeping the numbers "low" I imagine it helps the vendor have confidence in the up-front commitment, allows Spyderco to deliver something unique and reap some hype, but keeps things manageable.

Providing a recent article as food for thought. I think the “scalper bot” community has been growing big time and I’d assume they are a factor in the instant buying up of Spyderco dealer exclusives and other limited releases. I fear that this activity could wreck the online seconds sale as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/inside-the-pandemics-biggest-cash-cow-scalper-bot-networks-hawking-hot?amp=true

I brought this up in another thread but people seem to think it's not real, or not affecting the knife industry. It is. It affects any industry with a good margin. There's a reason we're seeing ten Playstation 5's being sold by the same person for $1,500 each (standard price is $400 - $500).

It might be real. But at the same time it means there is a market for the inflated secondary-market prices. So IMO it still very well falls into the practice of capitalism.

Look - I dislike the act of knife flipping just as much as anyone else. But I honestly don't see how it can hurt the knife industry. It may hurt some individuals' knife hobby, to a very limited extent.

As for the suggestion on increasing the quantity of exclusives, it can be a risky move for dealers. Exclusives got sold out fast partly because of their limited quantities. Is the magic number 1,200, 2,400, 4,800, or 10,000 (assuming Spyderco even allows larger quantities)? I don't know and I suspect dealers do not know either, in most cases. It's not like ANY PM2 exclusives would get sold out quickly (remember the 2nd run of KW M4/CF PM2?).

Providing a recent article as food for thought. I think the “scalper bot” community has been growing big time and I’d assume they are a factor in the instant buying up of Spyderco dealer exclusives and other limited releases. I fear that this activity could wreck the online seconds sale as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/inside-the-pandemics-biggest-cash-cow-scalper-bot-networks-hawking-hot?amp=true
I don't think the volume and margin on knives would attract that type of attention. Also the knife sellers are more aware. If DLT or KSF gets a whole run sucked up by one zip code in Tacoma WA. I suspect they'll press pause. A big box retail outlet like Walmart selling out of PS5s probably won't have the same light switch on.

I don't think the volume and margin on knives would attract that type of attention. Also the knife sellers are more aware. If DLT or KSF gets a whole run sucked up by one zip code in Tacoma WA. I suspect they'll press pause. A big box retail outlet like Walmart selling out of PS5s probably won't have the same light switch on.

That's a fair point. The household limits are easy for bots to get around (not going to go into how), but the zip code is more difficult.

As far as the volume and margin on knives not attracting attention of bot users, I disagree a bit there. If someone already had a bought set up for purchasing game consoles, shoes, PC parts... It would be rather easy to add some knife websites to the list. I don't think knife reselling would be their main goal... Just reselling in general. Whatever they can get their hands on with high margins. I also wouldn't expect them to purchase 10 copies of the same knife (which would likely draw attention to them and cause their order to be cancelled), but instead just pick up one or two of each knife that is in demand.

Things like the PS5 and whatnot are only released once every few years and in very, very high numbers, so it makes sense to try to purchase 10+ of them to resell. Knives are a bit different. They may not be released in such large numbers or on such high volume sites, but there are a ton of releases each year. I mean we have Spyderco exclusives, Spyderco sprints, Kershaw exclusives, Buck of the Months, Great Eastern Cutlery, Northwoods... The list goes on and on. If you add the profits of getting even one of each release (or even every other release) it adds up real quick to a big pile of money. Especially if you're also using the bots on game consoles, PC components, shoes, etc... The knife sales would just be gravy for very little extra work.

That's a fair point. The household limits are easy for bots to get around (not going to go into how), but the zip code is more difficult.

As far as the volume and margin on knives not attracting attention of bot users, I disagree a bit there. If someone already had a bought set up for purchasing game consoles, shoes, PC parts... It would be rather easy to add some knife websites to the list. I don't think knife reselling would be their main goal... Just reselling in general. Whatever they can get their hands on with high margins. I also wouldn't expect them to purchase 10 copies of the same knife (which would likely draw attention to them and cause their order to be cancelled), but instead just pick up one or two of each knife that is in demand.

Things like the PS5 and whatnot are only released once every few years and in very, very high numbers, so it makes sense to try to purchase 10+ of them to resell. Knives are a bit different. They may not be released in such large numbers or on such high volume sites, but there are a ton of releases each year. I mean we have Spyderco exclusives, Spyderco sprints, Kershaw exclusives, Buck of the Months, Great Eastern Cutlery, Northwoods... The list goes on and on. If you add the profits of getting even one of each release (or even every other release) it adds up real quick to a big pile of money. Especially if you're also using the bots on game consoles, PC components, shoes, etc... The knife sales would just be gravy for very little extra work.
Maybe but it still does need some inside know how. I think that most of the knife flippers are the small time guys who do this to buy 5 knives and sell 4 so the get a free one. Without a real good read they wind up with a household of Brand X model Y knives that no one wants.

Stuff like Adidas shoes or a Nintendo Switch is low hanging fruit.

Maybe but it still does need some inside know how. I think that most of the knife flippers are the small time guys who do this to buy 5 knives and sell 4 so the get a free one. Without a real good read they wind up with a household of Brand X model Y knives that no one wants.

Stuff like Adidas shoes or a Nintendo Switch is low hanging fruit.

Another solid point. :)

You have to consider manufacturing capacity. Spyderco can't dedicate the entire shop to a large exclusive run and let other exclusives, production, and R&D suffer. There has to be a balance. By keeping the numbers "low" I imagine it helps the vendor have confidence in the up-front commitment, allows Spyderco to deliver something unique and reap some hype, but keeps things manageable.
They schedule the exclusives when they can fit into production. They are in the business to manufacture and sell knives, so if someone wants to order 10,000 in one fell swoop I'll bet they would jump on it.

What are you on about?

This entire thread is a testament to the intelligence, fairness, and common sense thinking of this community.
Just the first page.
It is a shame that there isn't a mechanism to offer additional quantity for the fans that want them.
They can buy them on the secondary market or place an order like the original vendor.
I felt robbed on the last run.
Owed something he has no right to.
limiting each customer to one knife per household
Putting limits on other people's freedom.
I do like the one per customer rule
Ditto
IMO there’s room to increase unit numbers in Exclusive and Sprint runs without jeopardizing sell-outs
What a terrible dilemma to sell everything you make.
i do like the 1 exclusive/sprint run per customer too,this way at least more people have a chance to get one!
Why stop at the end user, why not let other retailers get in on the exclusive runs? It's not fair to smaller retailers that can't afford to invest the capital for their own exclusive. The whole idea of EXCLUSIVITY!
iu

I have no problem with exclusives, I only wish that future runs were produced when exclusive releases are a hit and sell out quickly (hint hint: OD Cru-Wear Delica ;)). When I buy these types of models, I buy them because of the interesting material choices, not in the least because of rarity.

They schedule the exclusives when they can fit into production. They are in the business to manufacture and sell knives, so if someone wants to order 10,000 in one fell swoop I'll bet they would jump on it.

We try to avoid numbers like that. It would affect everything else too much.

sal

The con is there's not enough.

Making enough for everyone doesn't mean it isn't an exclusive. They aren't called exclusives because of who can buy them, only who can order them from the factory.

There's the big psychological disconnect in this activity. People are defining exclusive incorrectly. It's a version of a knife sold through one retailer, not a VIP pass.

Just a reminder here that for anyone who feels they want to be able to get the exclusive knives but can't set aside the time to play a lolly scramble every time they come up there is the collectors club too.

I turned a friend onto Spyderco and he eventually landed on the Para 3 as his "forever" knife. He is not a knife guy. He's a tool that works for me guy. He spent a year or so trying out different models but once he got a Para 3, it was over. The only other knife I can see him buying is the Mule Spy27 as he really likes the steel. But beyond that, he barely pays any attention and he's snagged two exclusives. One PM2 and one Para 3.

I mean, it can be done.

0C733C2F-F929-4B5A-84C1-9E4C8E3BE815.jpeg

Just the first page.
They can buy them on the secondary market or place an order like the original vendor.
Owed something he has no right to.
Putting limits on other people's freedom.
Ditto
What a terrible dilemma to sell everything you make.
Why stop at the end user, why not let other retailers get in on the exclusive runs? It's not fair to smaller retailers that can't afford to invest the capital for their own exclusive. The whole idea of EXCLUSIVITY!
iu

Back