Experience the Talonized Ferox

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
sBxV4Gu.jpg

I asked Chris to send me this piece a few weeks ago. It is altogether quite different than the other knives in my collection. For one, it is my understanding that the Ferox was designed with combat in mind, drawing from the maker's experience as a U.S. veteran. It is a large blade, measuring overall length at 11", with 6" of cutting edge. This one is thicker than it looks, with a .21" spine (7/32") of CPM154. However, the spine tapers down to .05" just before the swedge and all the way to .01" at the bottom of the tang. The blade itself is 1.7" wide at the mid-line. This one is slightly blade heavy, balancing right at the ricasso, just forward of the deep grip notch.

yvCN9uZ.jpg

At its thickest point around the black canvas pin, the handle is 1.08" inches thick and 1.2" wide. The flat spot shown above makes it possible to rest the knife sideways in the palm, a grip variation discussed here: http://www.moderncombativesystemsblog.com/2016/08/fighting-knives-spotlight-ferox-fighter.html

The knife is a natural pointer.

It is very comfortable in hand, as you would expect from Chris's time spent training with Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge, and the large rectangular guard and bell-shaped bottom add a sense of grip security, regardless of positioning. The sandblasted micarta and Thunderstorm Kevlar scales are textured, but not uncomfortable, and they do not suffer from the over-smoothing typical with some phenolics.

YKdUI5b.jpg

The supremely tapered tang significantly reduces weight, which comes in at 0.3 kg (10.5 ounces) or .6 lb.

Here is one variation of Osprey Knife & Tool hammering on the flats, which creates a shifting pattern in direct light:

IOptEbf.jpg

I asked for Chris to sharpen the swedge, which was a good start. I proceeded to spend some time improving it to a true double-edge. The point is absolutely wicked ... I am calling it talonized.

LRZwxr5.jpg

I have made this a triple bevel knife. The straight primary edge is just under 40 degrees inclusive. To strengthen the tip, the sweeping belly of the knife to its terminus is more obtuse and comes in just around 46 degrees. The second grind on the swedge is approximately 50 degrees inclusive. The swedge will slice paper, but is not meant for general EDC tasks. The double edge greatly reduces drag for the sole purpose of penetration and slicing during self-defense (which I sincerely hope is never necessary).

When first holding this knife, I had mixed opinions. However, as I came to think about it from a design perspective, I found I had very little criticism. It is a remarkable application of Chris's vision for this style of blade, and it challenged my perceptions of what a knife should and could be. When you think about the number of talented individuals out there grinding on steel, it is quite a task to make a product that is instantly recognizable and attributable to any one maker. When I look at the Ferox, there is no mistaking the maker, and it is perhaps for this reason that Chris chose it to represent his graduation from apprenticeship to business owner http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Linton-of-Osprey-Knife-and-Tool-has-Graduated

If you are a collector or might conceivably need a blade in this category, I would strongly encourage you to consider the Ferox. If you have one of the few that have been made, let's see it!

Last edited:
Excellent review and no doubt a Grail knife to many. Although that's secondary to the emphasis on the makers ideas that accumulated to produce this blade. Well Done Jarrett!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to see someone picked that up and it is not sitting in a knife drawer. Exceptional example of the Ferox

Thanks for the comments. Gus, I know you have a nice one ready for primetime. Varga49, the intersection of function and beauty is where many of us reside! FeralGentleman, this one has never seen safetime. When I first picked it up I was a little uncomfortable. Analogous to my first time holding a firearm, the immediate thought was "this is a weapon". It is certainly capable of bushcraft, however, as I am sure you are aware. I am going to send it for some leather soon and see how she carries.

Wow! That thing is badass. Thanks for showing it off! :thumbup:

Very cool!

You have such purdy knife terminology that I think I want to send you the new Unnamed Prototype (which I'm going to call "Intimidator") and have you do a review on it. You and your "ricaso" and "terminus" ... :)

(take it as a compliment)

I dig the name for the prototype. Definitely send it to me, I guarantee more words and sharp termini are on the agenda.

yvCN9uZ.jpg

YKdUI5b.jpg

IOptEbf.jpg

LRZwxr5.jpg

When first holding this knife, I had mixed opinions. However, as I came to think about it from a design perspective, I found I had very little criticism. It is a remarkable application of Chris's vision for this style of blade, and it challenged my perceptions of what a knife should and could be. When you think about the number of talented individuals out there grinding on steel, it is quite a task to make a product that is instantly recognizable and attributable to any one maker. When I look at the Ferox, there is no mistaking the maker, and it is perhaps for this reason that Chris chose it to represent his graduation from apprenticeship to business owner http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Linton-of-Osprey-Knife-and-Tool-has-Graduated

Jarrett,
Thank you for taking the time out to do this short review on the Ferox you picked up a few weeks ago, I really like how you incorporated the links to the other threads in your review, and your photographs are top notch! I am pleased to hear that my design intentions are translated through the knife into the users hand. And you hit the nail on the head about why I chose this particular design for my graduation knife.
I had to look at the photos a couple of times to really get a grasp of what you did with the clip,I think its pretty cool! Maybe you could show us somemore pictures of your modification. I hope to see more post in the future from you that feature this knife, Maybe when you get your TS Kevlar project done. ;)

Thanks for the comments. Gus, I know you have a nice one ready for primetime. Varga49, the intersection of function and beauty is where many of us reside! FeralGentleman, this one has never seen safetime. When I first picked it up I was a little uncomfortable. Analogous to my first time holding a firearm, the immediate thought was "this is a weapon". It is certainly capable of bushcraft, however, as I am sure you are aware. I am going to send it for some leather soon and see how she carries.

I am glad your first thought was this is a weapon, no mistake of its intention. Lets me know I did my job and that you can feel the intent of the knife in your hand.

I dig the name for the prototype. Definitely send it to me, I guarantee more words and sharp termini are on the agenda.

Excited to see you guy's arrange this and look forward toward your analysis and sharp lingo Jarrett

Last edited:
Back