Experimental Camp Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So about a million years ago, I owned a H&B Forge Beavertail Throwing knife. I put in a bunch of time and sharpened it up to a very useful edge. It was one of my favorite blades as it could do normal cutting tasks and still be thrown when I saw a target. It was lost and has been mourned ever since. So this weekend I decided to make a similar Beavertail Dagger and while grinding that out, my head started thinking a larger camp knife with similar edge bevels might be fun! Well this is the result! 14 1/8in overall with a 9 3/16in blade tip to handle. I used some .262 thick 560 for the blade. The scales are black/maroon G10 attached with epoxy and flared tube fasteners. The bevels are short but the edge is thin. It’s very similar to a hatchet or tomahawk edge. I believe it will be a heck of a wood processor!!!! It’s definitely capable of chopping and will laugh off a wooden baton!

View attachment 1709427

Last edited:
I’m sure it will be fun! Everyone seems to enjoy breaking down wood around camp :D This will do that a so much more! I’m thinking about another design based on the British MOD knives.

Yea, geometry/bevels like that separate wood. Should make for a strong tip too. The (kinda) micro bevel will be easy to sharpen. Nice piece.

Back