Explain this one!!!

Tanker 1/66

Gold Member
Just picked this up on a new list buy now so I don't have it in hand yet. Stamped kabar 1208 USA but looks to be laser etched over stamp???

I have what the seller posted. But not the knife yet. Looked ligit. I thought maybe a factory rebuild and restamp

Definitely a legit 1208, but to my knowledge, Kabar doesn't do refurb work on older (read pre-ALCAS days) models. The 1208 was discontinued in 1978. It sold for $14.95.:)

Definitely a legit 1208, but to my knowledge, Kabar doesn't do refurb work on older (read pre-ALCAS days) models. The 1208 was discontinued in 1978. It sold for $14.95.:)

Thanks zzy any and all info is most helpful.

Today it sold for $45 lol When a buy now comes up you have to follow your gut. No time for doubt and research or its gone.

My guess is that the Ka bar was applied with a stencil and is some kind of a etching, chemical or electro process. The lettering font points to a stencil.

Why??? Thats another big question. It just seems a little pointless to me. It was already stamped. Which leads me to believe that it signifies something else also.

That one I can't help with. I've noticed over the years a lot of knives that look like muts between the 1208 and the 1209 as well as possibly some others. While they are very similar I've seen bright blade knives that where stamped 1209 which you would expect to be parkerized. Your knife has a wood handle, no big deal, but most 1208's came with stacked leather, at least early on. I've even seen them with the typical dark finished wood grips that were normal for 1209's. Gave me the impression that parts were being used from whatever they had available at the moment to assemble a knife. (???)

Thank you for sending the photos.

According to our researcher, someone just stenciled KA-BAR over the tang stamp. It is a real KA-BAR, but we would not have marked the blade with a stencil like that.

I hope this information is helpful. If we can assist you further, please feel free to contact us again.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Kristi

KA-BAR Customer Service

Pish!! Many KA-BAR knives were marked with that etched mark from the factory at one point in time. Kristi, I am sorry but your "researcher" just doesn't know earlier marks. Mike, I told you they would not get it right. I have no idea why it would have a stamped and an etched mark,but both are indeed factory marks. My theory is that the stamp did not make a clear mark so they used the etched mark so as not to scrap the knife as a second. I assure all of you that the etched mark on this knife IS indeed a factory made mark. I have seen many original knives with only that etched mark on them. By the way, it would be acid etched rather than laser etched.

Last edited:
You are right gunsil. With the blade in my hand I can see that the KA- are very lightly stamped the B is light and the AR is stamped deep.

Back