"EXTRA 5% OFF WHEN YOU BUY 3 OR MORE" of these Schrade knives.

It looks like someone has found some more Schrade blades.
The seller lists these knives as New in unopened boxes and made in the USA. :confused:
This makes collecting genuine Schrade knives, just a little harder.
These blades have been finished off, with non-genuine wooden handles.

They look OK for a user, however; I do not believe these knives could ever be called "Collectable"

Just type "schrade new loveless" into eBay - To see these blades, selling as "NEW KNIVES".

Last edited:
Moderator. The auction is not his and he is not shilling for a seller or prompting someone to buy the item(s). He has posted this for identification purposes as allowed in the rules. The topic is pertainent to the collection of authentic ISC manufactured knives as these have been completed aftermarket from parts by an unnamed source in an unidentified location. Also, the ad is blatently misleading in saying that these knives are "New in the unopened box, as the seller or his merchant provided unused boxes to put them in, likely acquired post-auction as well. Please reconsider the link removal and infraction. Or apply it to the Levine knife identification subforum and others across the board without exception.

Michael

The infraction has been reversed and the link restored. It would helpful if threads like this were clearly titled in the future. This would help to avoid any additional misunderstandings.

Codger, It's my understanding that linking to active auctions is not permitted since neither the seller nor eBay are Bladeforums sponsor dealers. AFAIK, you can link to eBay auctions for identification purposes only after the auction has ended.

I'm not a moderator, not the one who reported the post, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night. ;)

I suspect that Koldgold is linking to a bunch of 152OT knives with plywood handles. I saw those too.

Link to ended auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-USA...-KNIFE-LTD-152-NEW-IN-BOX-152OT-/201080124773

The infraction has been reversed and the link restored. It would helpful if threads like this were clearly titled in the future. This would help to avoid any additional misunderstandings.

Thanks for clarifying, Morrow. :thumbup:

It is allowable under certain circumstances, having nothing to do with eBay sponsorship but rather under the "deal spotting" guidelines. Thank you Morrow for reconsidering this action.

IMHO, and many others who collect real Schrades, these Frankenknives are not true USA made Schrades but component sent overseas for finishing in an unnamed factory there. Some sellers present them as such and some go to great lengths to disguise their origin. Such as placing them in auction salvage boxes from the Schrade factory and calling them "new in the original box" to fool potential buyers. Schrade did not place unfinished blades in boxes. This is what Ken was referring to in his post.

Ebay, or the seller has removed the auction linked in the OP. But we have seen these aftermarket finished knives, mostly fixed blades, in many patterns now and with three or more varieties of non-authentic wooden handles, light, dark and typical pakkawood (actually an expired registered trademark and I doubt if the material is even true pakawood). Phenolic resin impregnated laminated wood probably, but not Pakkawood from the U.S. supplier.

This practice is so common place and the fact that there are so many "odd" un-cataloged genuine Schrades out there, that one has to be diligent when inspecting and identifying Schrade knives on ebay. Sometimes I can tell that the seller is just ignorant about the knives and sometimes it's apparent that they are dishonest crooks. As far as the authentic or authentic looking boxes go, I once in the past bought a NOS box, (I think), for a blue jigged bone PH2 that I had bought that was minus the box. The knife and sheath is the real deal and the flattened unused box only adds to the package. Is the box the real deal? When trying to decide whether or not Schrade items are real or not I try to investigate the seller as much as possible. Check out their other items, profile and feedback and such. Sometimes that gives you a peak at who the seller is and if there is anything inconsistent with the truth. There is a ton of PH1s and PH2s out there for auction and sale that have black wood handles and original looking boxes and papers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Schrade never marketed a standard PH with a black wood handle. And while we are talking about it, how can we be sure about the origin of all of the "End of Days" kinves? I have never heard any particulars about factory Schrade parts knives. I have a few of them and like them so much that I would not give them up. But with all of the spare parts knives out there and the deception and ignorance surrounding these knives, I have to wonder. Assembled by factory workers, or, someone with a box of parts they bought? I'm especially curious about the Staglon handled "knockoffs" on the 96ot and 97ot knives. Both of which I own and like very much and will continue to no matter what their origin. Now I have a 194OT that I bought from a little hardware store in a small town in northern California in 2006. This knife has a SC503 stainless blade on it. It was part of some leftovers the store had buried behind the counter. Soon after 2004 I used to search for these "leftovers" in stores and scored alot of standard models that way for closeout prices. I actually have two of these, one I got on ebay without a box and papers. So we know that there are mixed parts knives out there that came from the factory. But where do we draw the line on what is an End of Days knife from the factory and what is not? And then there are a few that I just don't care. It's a nice knife and I want it! Like the 787 Muskrat pattern knife pictured below. There is no model number on it. Blade stamped on one blade blade only, SCHRADE WALDEN over NY USA, in the same script as my authentic Schrades. I know Taylor uses that stamp, but in a different script. I also searched for a Taylor knife like it, before I purchased, and couldn't find one. My conclusion is that it is assembled from purchased Schrade spare parts and adorned with some of the prettest bone I have seen, by a good craftsman. It is so pretty that I bought it, knowing what I was getting and not caring. I am all about original Schrade knives, but this is a nice knife in my mind and I made an exception.

Purchased in a hardware store
194oteod.jpg

194oteod3.jpg

Spare Parts Turned Into Something Pretty
787schradewaldenbone.jpg

787schradewaldenbone4.jpg

Last edited:
"And lo in the latter days it came to pass that a voice from on high (The bankruptcy receiver) issued a commandment to the factory management. "If it fits, assemble it". And thus were born another whole genre of Schrade knives. The intent was to use a few remaining employees to add to the inhouse inventory (which already included a huge order ready to ship to WalMart) so as to use up many of the loose components and increase the quantity of completed knives for the auction. IIRC, this happend from July through October of 2004 when the auction took place. These, along with special factory orders and remainders of prior orders held for warranty replacement, and the contents of the Sample room and Wall Collection were among the first knives sold by the two winning bidders to merchants who put them mostly on eBay. Having now dried up for the most part, the "pallet blades" began appearing some months ago. It has been almost ten years since the factory liquidation sale.

Thank you! Do you have any information on the configuration of the Walmart knife? I am really curious about how those Staglon scales came into exsistance. They don't appear to be the same as the Ducks Unlimited (buzz saw) knives of the same configuration with a DU shield. At any rate some people think much more highly than I do about some of these EOD knives. This one sold on ebay for $205.00 a few weeks ago. I guess it's worth whatever someone will pay.

uendofdaysknives2.jpg

I am really curious about how those Staglon scales came into exsistance. They don't appear to be the same as the Ducks Unlimited (buzz saw) knives of the same configuration with a DU shield.

They seem to be basic Uncle Henry handle scales.

Here's a group of trappers that includes two Old Timers with UH scales and an Old Timer with an SC blade.
OTTrappers.jpg

And here's evidence that mixing and matching parts was a long-standing tradition at Schrade well before the bankruptcy era: A Primble Old Timer with a Craftsman blade.
PrimbleCraftsmanOldTimer.jpg

Here's anothere EOD knife, purchased well before any imported Old Timers or Asian-finished knives hit the market:
The blade is a standard 14OT. But the handles? Who knows. At least they're real wood, not the plywood found on the recent assembly jobs.

DSC_1238.jpg

I also have a similar 14OT, same blade, but with white micarta handles. Originally I believed the white knife was a recently assembly, until, with the use of this forum, I was able to track the provenience to pre-2004. The knife had been a rare prototype.

Nice collection, Bob.

I hope I haven't highjacked this thread and got off topic! Someone jump in here and change coarse if needed.

Bob, Here is another odd one for you, in green.
I also own and have seen alot of blank "Scrimshaw" knives too that I see as EOD factory assembled knives.

ueodpartsknife.jpg

I also have a similar 14OT, same blade, but with white micarta handles. Originally I believed the white knife was a recently assembly, until, with the use of this forum, I was able to track the provenience to pre-2004. The knife had been a rare prototype.

Possibly Schrade was thinking about making a variation of this 13OT Trailblazer?

13ottrailblazer.jpg

Green Delrin was a favorite of U.S. Tobacco (Skoal/copenhagan) knives and some Ducks Unlimited knives. Not surprising that some covers remained without shielding. Scrims were made on demand for the SC series and as ad specialties from stocks of finished knives held in stock for the purpose. All that remained was to heat stamp them. I have several that are blank as well. And I have seen some that appeared to be scrimmed aftermarket.

Green Delrin was a favorite of U.S. Tobacco (Skoal/copenhagan) knives and some Ducks Unlimited knives. Not surprising that some covers remained without shielding. Scrims were made on demand for the SC series and as ad specialties from stocks of finished knives held in stock for the purpose. All that remained was to heat stamp them. I have several that are blank as well. And I have seen some that appeared to be scrimmed aftermarket.

I am cuious about how the inlay of badges and shields was done. I lean toward the indentation being molded on the Staglon and milled out indentations on the Old Timer Derlin. But then that makes wonder about all of the unshielded knives out there. Like the unshielded 77UH and the EOD Staglons. If they were all milled out, that would explain all of the blanks. But Staglon/Uncle Henrys look molded instead of cut to me. The sloppy fit on some testifies to bad molding in my mind. (which is a little shaky)

An example of a "aftermarket" scrimshaw Schrade parts knife. (I'm pretty darn sure) No signature. This is one of those exceptions I posted about earlier that I have. The idea of actually having a trapper on a trapper knife was too desirable to pass up. And it was cheap. It carries a 296Y stamped blade.

eodtrapper4.jpg

Possibly Schrade was thinking about making a variation of this 13OT Trailblazer?

13ottrailblazer.jpg

Mine has the same white material, but no bolster or shield.

If that's your 13OT, I'm insanely jealous. It took forever just to find a NIB brown 13OT. :)

An example of a "aftermarket" scrimshaw Schrade parts knife. (I'm pretty darn sure) No signature. This is one of those exceptions I posted about earlier that I have. The idea of actually having a trapper on a trapper knife was too desirable to pass up. And it was cheap. It carries a 296Y stamped blade.

eodtrapper4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

No, that is legit. Why the 296Y blade was used I don't know, but it was a legit issue.

ETA: I can't find a flyer for it but remember seeing that in a gift box with graphic sheet. Might have been a SMKW SFO. "The Trapper".

Last edited:
Where did they come from....really?

unclehenryeod97uh_1.jpg

Saddlebum your knife is, an "unfinished SDU6CPT". They were listed in Schrade's flyers in 2003.
image.php

In the past week I have seen a new Schrade Collector on this forum, proudly showing off his NIB Taylor knives.
We, as Schrade Collectors; are very lucky we have so many fellow collectors on this forum with such a wealth of knowledge.

I for one, use these forums every day to improve my knowledge and correct misleading information.

You have posted this reply:
“This practice is so common place and the fact that there are so many "odd" un-catalogued genuine Schrades out there, that one has to be diligent when inspecting and identifying Schrade knives on ebay.”

“As far as the authentic or authentic looking boxes go, I once in the past bought a NOS box, (I think), for a blue jigged bone PH2 that I had bought that was minus the box.
The knife and sheath is the real deal and the flattened unused box only adds to the package.
Is the box the real deal? “

It looks like we can all learn something new every day, on these forums!

The Blue jigged bone PH2 knives came in “Plain White boxes”, with the other knives in the full set, Schrade made as a Special Order.

Your knife, if it came without a shield; is a spare “Warranty Replacement Knife”
if it has a shield you now know; you need to find the rest of the set; and the Display Case they came in.

My intentions in this post, was only to inform / warn would-be collectors; just starting to collect the Schrade knives that were made in the USA for 100 years,

image.php

Last edited:
Back