Review Extrema Ratio Sethlans

Back when it was launched, I took a 'first look' at the Extrema Ratio Sethlans knife. Now, after being able to use the Sethlans for several months I can bring you this much more detailed look at the knife and its comprehensive equipped sheath.
The Sethlans is designed to be used for bushcraft, survival, and as a backup blade, so is also ideally suited for prepping, but I can tell you know, you are definitely going to want to use this knife.

(This thread is a new approach for me regarding sharing my reviews. Forums are where I came from, and the discussion on forums is something I hope to be involved in and inspire. It has become too much work to convert the reviews published on my website into forum versions, so I need to try something else to stay in touch with the forums.

To the Moderators, there is a reciprocal link at the end of every review on Tactical Reviews. If you have any concerns over this approach please let me know.)

Click on the photo below to go to the full review, but please come back here to discuss.

The 'First Look' Video:
Taking you back to the initial impressions and overview of the Sethlans.

A good look round the Sethlans Sheath - Things to look out for here are:

A good sheath can make or break a knife, as access to, and ease of carry, affect your experience of using the knife. The Sethlans has one of the most comprehensively equipped and well thought out sheaths of any knife I have used, and there are so many details to show, it is a major part of the review...

What is it like to use?
Being an Extrema Ratio knife, the Sethlans seems to be both typically characteristic of the brand, yet at the same time completely different and surprising. It also has me in a dilemma about how to set it up thanks to the super flexible sheath design.
If I were packing in a 'prepping' style, I would leave the full Sethlans sheath setup with the sharpening stone and fire-steel...

Once you have checked out the full review, please come back here to discuss.

Very extensive information about the knife specs in the review is very good! But I think it would be really helpful if there was also a comparison to other similar knives, and discussion of edge retention.

You forgot your disclosure statement about how you got the knife fot free, cherry picked by the manufacturer and you get to keep the knife.

Very extensive information about the knife specs in the review is very good! But I think it would be really helpful if there was also a comparison to other similar knives, and discussion of edge retention.

If only I had more time, but am a simple enthusiast fitting in everything in my spare time, so I can only provide part of the picture. Hopefully others can add to the discussion and cover aspects I don't have time to do.

You forgot your disclosure statement about how you got the knife fot free, cherry picked by the manufacturer and you get to keep the knife.

I have a page dedicated to this:

Disclosure

I'll repeat here if it helps.

The test sample featured in the article has been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons. All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.

You will find a wealth of measurements and information that are not subjective. Take from any review what you want.

I wanna know how good it is at slicing considering it appears to be a pretty thick blade.
Extract from the review:
"Despite the significantly thick blade tang, the blade itself has a thickness of 3.9mm combined with a depth of 37.5mm, and this makes for a 5 degree primary bevel angle. The figures might be a bit of a yawn, but what it means is a blade that slices really well thanks to the small bevel angle – yet at a maximum thickness at the spine of nearly 4mm, is still a good strong blade without feeling heavy."

Back