Extremely coarse crystal growth on parkerized knife?

Indeed, do that, Leon, with whatever solvent you choose. That's what I said in the first place. Your best bet always is to rinse clean and hang to dry without wiping. That may be overkill for your process, but sounds like you might just want overkill until you get it down.

Let's say you wanna do a real rust blue.

Involves boiling to clean it. Acetone and then boil it in distilled water. Rubbing alcohol will work. 91% is the strongest available. They add water so it doesn't evaporate too quickly.

Best finish.

#1. Clean. Proper metal prep. Whatever you gotta do.

#2. Instructions followed. No freestyle adding things you think will work. Follow the instructions. Any serious solution will have a detailed instructions.

They made it and trust me. They know more then you do. So do what they tell you to do.

Good luck, Leon. I'll leave ya be. I did my first rust blueing about 40 years ago on knife parts, but I've never done Parkerizing. I'll let the experts guide you. Know a few things about chemicals, though, so I just suggest to watch for contamination from your cleaning materials and surfaces. I don't even trust paper towels. Emollients.

And, by the way, isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol. Pharmacy.

You can get manganese phosphate from places that do the colored plant pots. Vases, cups, things like that.

It's a substance that produces a certain color on fired hardened clay pots. Kiln territory. It also does black parkerized on steel.

You can do it yourself but it's not easy.

About how to stand the blade on edge -
Make a stand from stainless wire that supports the tang allowing the blade to rest on the edge. Stand the blade in the tank edge down.

Another simple way is to bend a stainless wire in to sit on the edges of the pan and go through a hole in the tang. Bend it so the blade is submerged and resting on the edge. You can also make this wire support with a narrow groove in the meddle that the ang sits in. See PDF image.

Attachments

• Wire rest.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
I've been Parkerizing in a mild steel tube for a decade. I've never used stainless. (As well as hot bluing for 25 years.)
I suspend vertically in a tube.
I never use harsh chemicals on steel I intend to blue or Parkerize. I only clean with diluted Simple Green and hot water with a toothbrush and rinse.
Even/successful Parkerizing depends on consistent media blasting.
tx51NfZ.jpg

ftm0MK1.jpg

Back