F1 elmax

rileybassman1

Gold Member
DLT got a batch a 40th anniversary Fallkniven elmax F1s in... Pretty stoked to get one in hand as I think this is the first standard F1 model in Elmax.

Last edited:
4m7dazch.jpg

Sweet! Still a great design -- mine's the original VG-10 model.
Yes indead - a classic! VG-10 is great, have several kitchen knives in it and dig it - takes an amazing edge! Stoked for Elmax and non-laminated F1 for field use.

I have the VG7 version. From disliking the handle and especially the sheath to the performance of the knife itself - I really expected more for the price.

I'm really curious about performance of the Elmax version - but not nearly curious enough to even think of getting one.

I'll follow the thread tho and see what are the impressions.

Always desperately wanted an f1 and just picked up the anniversary model in elmax. I am not putting it through its paces in case i don't keep it, the convex blade is done beautifully and it came very sharp but the handle is ok not great, the killer is the sheath which i find to be pathetic- i prefer my $15 dollar mora hd sheath which locks in well and has a small thumb ramp to assist releasing the blade, or the trc k1s sheath with thumb ramp nicely executed taco style, instead you get a locking lever that when unlocked in the upright position with a pull tab is in the way of grasping the handle much less pushing off with your thumb. I am now considering a $50 dollar sheath or just holding it to sell someday or gift. UGH! Love the size and blade but handle ok but but but the sheath. I am torn to keep or not to use or not and saddened for the price and all the love they get that the improved sheath is well not.

Always desperately wanted an f1 and just picked up the anniversary model in elmax. I am not putting it through its paces in case i don't keep it, the convex blade is done beautifully and it came very sharp but the handle is ok not great, the killer is the sheath which i find to be pathetic- i prefer my $15 dollar mora hd sheath which locks in well and has a small thumb ramp to assist releasing the blade, or the trc k1s sheath with thumb ramp nicely executed taco style, instead you get a locking lever that when unlocked in the upright position with a pull tab is in the way of grasping the handle much less pushing off with your thumb. I am now considering a $50 dollar sheath or just holding it to sell someday or gift. UGH! Love the size and blade but handle ok but but but the sheath. I am torn to keep or not to use or not and saddened for the price and all the love they get that the improved sheath is well not.
Huh interesting… for what it is, I love the handle and the sheath - durable, light, element proof, great retention. Sorry it’s not what you are looking for — alas the journey never ends!

I view it as a cold weather survival/hunting knife. It can bushcraft, it can do a lot of things - other knives are better purpose built for certain tasks, but it’s good at all of them.

Several sheath options out there if that’s your limiting factor. I might even be willing to trade for something else if you don’t decide to keep it…

Curious those hating the handles, you have large hands and used to more coke bottle styles?

I have all sorts of handles shapes and sizes and for the F1’s role, I enjoy it. I live in Montana tho and cold winter is when I love the Fallkniven handles… not too dissimilar to their Swedish design purpose I suppose

Curious those hating the handles, you have large hands and used to more coke bottle styles?

I have all sorts of handles shapes and sizes and for the F1’s role, I enjoy it. I live in Montana tho and cold winter is when I love the Fallkniven handles… not too dissimilar to their Swedish design purpose I suppose
I don't hate the handle and imagine it really fine in use, its just doesn't sit great with me but ok. Large hands- actually like flat handle slim knives like esee 3, my old seal pup elite, trc k1s, but probably have to admit my mora bushcraft force or survival handles might be a favorite.

Huh interesting… for what it is, I love the handle and the sheath - durable, light, element proof, great retention. Sorry it’s not what you are looking for — alas the journey never ends!

I view it as a cold weather survival/hunting knife. It can bushcraft, it can do a lot of things - other knives are better purpose built for certain tasks, but it’s good at all of them.

Several sheath options out there if that’s your limiting factor. I might even be willing to trade for something else if you don’t decide to keep it…
The handle would probably grow on me with handling and use but not sure i want to - i think utility wise the sheath is fine its the fact that i can't grab more knife to remove it because of the latch. You are right it never ends but i wanted this to be "the one".

The handle would probably grow on me with handling and use but not sure i want to - i think utility wise the sheath is fine its the fact that i can't grab more knife to remove it because of the latch. You are right it never ends but i wanted this to be "the one".
That’s always disappointing… when you have “the one” coming and it fails to meet expectations - sorry!

Back