Factory 2nd's ?

up1911fan

Gold Member
What can be expected from factory 2nd's? Cosmetic imperfections only, or could it be the blade/lock/action? Considering taking a chance on one but have some concerns. Thanks.

They will be functional and safe to use. The action could be rough, the lock could be sticky, there could be some play in one direction or another. Of they could be perfect. Most of mine I've never found what made them seconds. But I also shop for mine at the Sale where I can hadle them and find ones with flaws that I can live with.

I got a couple LW Native 5 in Maxamet, from online 2nd sale. All pretty soft. So, maybe heat treat, on those ones?
Like, VG-10 soft..

Most others, can't tell what's wrong.

Most have been good with little (mechanical and cosmetic) problems! I did get a weird 15V Shaman with micro pits in the blade like this..
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95259 no issues with actual cutting performance!
Also in the same mystery box a beautiful Red 4V Military that had loose lanyard tube and some minor G10 imperfections!

Surprising

The covid online 2nd sale.(wasn't clear on that) Maxamet was still newer. I know they had lots of Maxamet for sale.
Ok, maybe not as soft as VG-10, but it sure doesn't like to hold an edge, like it should . Lol.

Some have warped blades.

LW Manix Maxamet
Curved like a banana
That's been an ongoing problem with Maxamet, and the longer the blade the more common it is. Makes you wonder why they keep using it.
The covid online 2nd sale.(wasn't clear on that) Maxamet was still newer. I know they had lots of Maxamet for sale.
Ok, maybe not as soft as VG-10, but it sure doesn't like to hold an edge, like it should . Lol.
I find it's a lot like ZDP-189 to sharpen. Use very light pressure, alternate sides, avoid forming a burr, take your time and trust the abrasives to do the work. Once you get a burr on either, you might as well run the blade edge down on a stone until it's flat and start over. Otherwise that burr is going to break off in use and leave a flat edge and leave you wondering how this stuff got a reputation for holding an edge.

I've dealt with what you speak of, with retail/first quality Maxamet.
The sharpening isn't the issue with the 2nds I have/have gifted and sharpened for my step dad and daughter in-law.
It just doesn't really like to hold a edge, compared to the retail pieces.

I've dealt with what you speak of, with retail/first quality Maxamet.
The sharpening isn't the issue with the 2nds I have/have gifted and sharpened for my step dad and daughter in-law.
It just doesn't really like to hold a edge, compared to the retail pieces.
I wonder why? Maxamet is the particular steel in a 2nd I was considering.

I'm comparing factory second Manix to first quality Mules in Maxamet and find no noticeable difference in edgeholding. But that's only a four blade sample (six if we count Natives as well), so I suppose you could be right about your examples. Having met Sal and talked extensively with him, I believe a bad heat treat would get a knife scrapped rather than seconded. He's a knife nut/steel junky/performance fiend.

They're supposed to be mechanically and structurally fine to use (they wouldn't sell a product that's unsafe to use) . My 15V Manix is ground slightly crooked in the distal taper, making it look off-center. But it's still very far from rubbing, the steel is VERY good, and it cost me less than what I'd pay for a regular S30V Manix, I'd take this deal again and again.

The only 2nd's knife I have is a Shaman I got in last years big sale. It came perfect besides a couple faint hairlines in the stonewashed finish blade. I love the knife and it only coat $95!

Thanks guys. Went ahead and ordered a Para 3 2nd in Maxamet. It looks pretty good in the pics.

If I’m not mistaken, Spyderco also adds a small file-out mark near the Spydie-hole to indicate that it’s a factory second. So there’s no confusion.

I gave my "non knife guy" friend a 2nds Shaman, and he is beyond happy! I noticed no issues with it, beside a slight flat spot on the scales. Action, centering, sharpening all fantastic. He replaced the scales anyway, and uses the heck out of it!!!

I have had three Spyderco factory seconds over the years and the ONLY thing I ever found that was different from a factory perfect specimen was the little nick Spyderco puts in them to mark them as factory seconds. Unless you are a collector or something, a Spyderco factory second will work great for you.

Back