factory edge with one micro beveled side

hello,

i was checking my leek under magnification (el cheapo head type set up but it works) because i noticed it looked like i knocked the edge down a little and noticed one side has a micro bevel and the other doesnt. any one else notice this in any knife (factory edge).

-matt

Two part answer:

My G-10 Leek is sharpened on both sides.

Just as a primary grind on only one side is called a chisel grind, so too a microbevel on one side only can be called a chisel secondary grind. For example, Emerson knives can be chisel or v grind, but even on the v grind only have a microbevel on one side.

Many serrations are only cut on one side, even when the plain edge portion of the same blade has microbevels on both sides.

You can usually find worse things than that in any factory edge, especially if you use a magnifying glass. The only real difference is how long it'll take you to sharpen it properly, IMHO....

i didnt describe it well.

plain edge, hollow ground main bevel on both sides>secondary bevel on both sides>micro bevel only on clip side.

one side has 2 separate "grinds" while the other has 3 "grinds"

ill see if i can get pics of it later but i dont have a good macro lens so we will see
-matt

I've observed this on Kershaws, from the looks of it it appears they may use a small, fine polishing wheel on the very edge on one side, buffing more or less parallel to the edge. I even asked around a bit about this but never found out anything. The factory Kershaw edges I've had like this were quite good.

ya the edge is very aggressive and cuts well (the scar on my finger is great proof of that) just not a great push cut or fine slicer.

DoW when you resharpened the kershaws with it on them did you try and keep it on just said what ever and went about your
business

-matt

ya the edge is very aggressive and cuts well (the scar on my finger is great proof of that) just not a great push cut or fine slicer.

DoW when you resharpened the kershaws with it on them did you try and keep it on just said what ever and went about your business

-matt

The Kershaw forum seems to get quite a few posts where folks mention getting bitten by their new knives. :)

I just sharpen 'em my way. BTW if your Leek happens to be 13C26, I've found it to be one of the nicest of all steels to sharpen, with little tendency to burr and easily takes a nice, fine edge.

The Kershaw forum seems to get quite a few posts where folks mention getting bitten by their new knives. :)

I just sharpen 'em my way. BTW if your Leek happens to be 13C26, I've found it to be one of the nicest of all steels to sharpen, with little tendency to burr and easily takes a nice, fine edge.

ok,

naw i have a 440 (it has a black teflon coating on it though which i like, it also helps not make people go "o you have a knife" a little bit more since its not a shiny... plus its easy to clean)
-matt

Back