Factory Randall stone replacement?

Hello all,

I pretty much have one knife, it's a Randall and it's strictly a user. It is a model 11 w/ 4.5" carbon blade. I keep it very very sharp with my Spyderco ceramic stones. The small stone that came in the pocket of my #11 sheath is quite coarse for just touching up the edge of my blade and my broadheads in the field. My question is: do any quality stone manufacturers make a fine or ultra fine stone that will fit in my #11's sheath? I really would rather not take a saw to a perfectly good full-size stone.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you all and take care.

EZE-LAP makes quite a few different grit and sized diamond stones.
I'm sure you could find one to fit it perfectly.
I bought one to replace the cheapo stone that came with my Ontario AFSK.

The EZE-LAP suggestion might be a good one. They do seem to have at least one diamond hone (Fine) in the 1" X 3" size (near typical size for the sheath-pocketed stones, though some of those might be 3/4" wide). The diamond will obviously be more aggressive than a ceramic, but I'd bet it'll leave a very good edge, nevertheless:

EZ_21F_3214.jpg

Knifecenter carries these, sold either by itself (~$9) or with a small leather pouch (~$10).

David

Last edited:
Norton makes some small India stones (aluminum oxide) in 1" x 4" x 1/2" size, in coarse/medium/fine grits. These might not quite fit the pocket in your sheath, however. In terms of abrasive grit, the fine India might be closer to a ceramic, though still likely a little more aggressive.

David

Another possibility, DMT's 'Mini-Sharp' hone (XC/C/F/EF) is 2-11/16" long x 15/16" wide; this green one is the EF (9 micron):

DMTF70Ea.jpg

David

Back