Factory scale replacement?

So let's say I have a 940 and a 943, and I want to swap the scales on them. Can I send them both into Benchmade to do it for me?
If not, then obviously I must do it myself, and if I do will that void their warranty / lifesharp service?

Also how would one go about getting a couple of BM's deep carry pocket clips? Is it simply a matter of asking and paying like $5 or whatever? Thanks guys

Clips they'll send you free-- you can ask, but I rather doubt they'll swap stuff out for you.

I've sent many knives in for various reasons that I've modded-- blade mods, scale swaps and aftermkts, skeletonized liners you name it-- never had an issue. Even had a few compliments on the work.

BM won't go out of their way to give you a hard time-- after all, people who work on knives tend to buy a LOT of them....

Wow, thanks. I did not know BM sent out free clips. What deep carry clips do they have? Only this one?

20140128_171412_zps6ee0a749.jpg

Wow, thanks. I did not know BM sent out free clips. What deep carry clips do they have? Only one?

That'll fit? I'm pretty sure it's that one and the same one in black. There's another one that is used in the 300-1, but I think the screws are set wider. There's also a deep carry clip on the SOCP. I think the screws are set the same as the 300-1 though.

So yeah, pretty sure you've got satin or black deep carry as your options. The black can be found on the 275 Adamas.

The 275 Adamas clip has larger holes, for #4 screws. It'll work, but better to get the 810 Contego clip w/ holes for #2 screws.

I've sent many knives in for various reasons that I've modded-- blade mods, scale swaps and aftermkts, skeletonized liners you name it-- never had an issue. Even had a few compliments on the work.
QUOTE]

You have sent in Benchmades for warranty work WITH the aftermarket scales ON THE KNIFE and never had any trouble?
This is interesting to me, and if so BM just gained a few points in my book.

I think just about anything I've sent in that would've come w/ a backspacer had homemade standoffs on it, as another example.

Obviously I can't speak for BM but if you think about it, the issues they likely wish to avoid are those where people send in a box of pieces, and want BM to put them back together. Or someone who just plain wrecks stuff, trying to make changes. But the people who work on knives are a scarce minority I'm sure, and those of us who do it I suspect gen'ly know what we're doing.

Again, I suspect modders buy a whole lot more knives then we would, were we not into modding-- GOOD for BM. And one nice thing about forums like this are the fact that there are many around here who are willing to walk someone thru, on their first attempts at stuff. So nothing gets wrecked.

Back