Fake Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6?

Browsing Ebay i came across a knife bundle. No real interest in the other knives but it includes a Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6" which i have been wanting. Only thing is looking at the pocket clip i have NEVER seen a Cold Steel knife with this design of pocket clip before leading me to believe it is a clone. The markings on the blade seem a little off as well. Any input as to if this is a legit knife or just a clone?
13f942c441.jpg
55324d7ede.jpg
89d246c552.jpg

Looks fishy to me..... Any steel listed? What country does it ship from?

Edit: I just checked my Ti lite 6 and it has two holes side by side going through the scales.

Last edited:
Who cares if it's a "clone"? Cheap, China-made crap is cheap, China-made crap, either way.

Come one now man. I realize that you being a knifemaker you take pride in your craft. But can we not crap on things because of country of origin? And regardless this knife would be made in Taiwan which isn't china. Bear MGC and a few others prove that we make "cheap American crap" all the time. And Reate, WE and dozens of other high end Chinese brands prove you can get quality in any corner of the world if willing to pay the price. And its really comments and attitudes like above that have me caring less and less about buying a USA made knife. In fact it makes me want to check out what is new on the Chinese trading sites.

Come one now man. I realize that you being a knifemaker you take pride in your craft. But can we not crap on things because of country of origin? And regardless this knife would be made in Taiwan which isn't china. Bear MGC and a few others prove that we make "cheap American crap" all the time. And Reate, WE and dozens of other high end Chinese brands prove you can get quality in any corner of the world if willing to pay the price. And its really comments and attitudes like above that have me caring less and less about buying a USA made knife. In fact it makes me want to check out what is new on the Chinese trading sites.

Yeah. My disdain is really more just directed at Cold Steel as such. There's certainly no denying that good products come out of China and Taiwan.

There is no blade steel listed. It just looks suspicious to me because every cold steel knife ive owned had "COLD STEEL" on the pocket clip and usually the blade steel on the blade. The guy lives in the US and said that he bought the knife on Ebay 3-4 years ago so im about 99% sure its a counterfeit.

Look, it's on eBay, which is known as the fake/knockoff/clone capital of the internet, and it...doesn't....look...right. Do the math. It's as fake as a three dollar bill. There are a bunch of reputable sites that support this forum who will give you the best price on a real, new Ti-Lite, or you can cruise to the For Sale subforum here and keep an eye out. They come up fairly often and often for much less than the new price.

Is there any reason in particular you want to buy that knife??
Is it THAT much cheaper than a legit one from a dealer??
Most of us here steer clear of e prey for knives.
Joe

Maybe this should be a separate discussion, but there's communist China, a repressive police state, and then there's Taiwan, which used to be part of China and is now a thriving capitalist country. A lot of excellent blades are made there (Cold Steel's CTS-XHP Recon 1 and American Lawman, for example), and we knife knuts would likely be paying a lot more if they were made in the USA (or Canada:D).

All I gotta say is avoid ebay and Amazon unless you want to get a fake when you want the real thing. Some legit deals can be had, but all that extra work to find them ain't worth it.

So many words, so many opinions, so little information! Someone asks about a knife's legitimacy and in less than one page it devolves into multi-pronged derision. Wow!

First, a few facts:

banxj502, your knife is genuine. It is a second-generation 6-inch Zytel-handled Ti-Lite. Only the first couple of iterations of that model possessed that slotted pocket clip, which is why you don't see them very often.

Here is a picture of the knife and clip from the Cold Steel catalog in 2005, when it was introduced.

t9RfrCH.jpg

Here's a close-up of the clip.

AuIrqpF.jpg

Here's a picture from the 2007 catalog that still depicts the slotted clip. Note that Cold Steel had changed the knife's name to the Ti-Lite VI. Despite the name change, the clip remained the same. This is the model that you have.

nfv6lvE.jpg

For those who are interested, here's Cold Steel's statement about its Taiwanese production from a 2002 catalog. If you're going to judge the company for manufacturing products in Taiwan, at least understand its stated rationale for doing so.

XkUey6Y.jpg

Now, for a few opinions of my own:

I, too, wish that more modern knives were manufactured in the United States. But I cannot argue against the notion that Taiwanese knife manufacturing has become so excellent that it has all but surpassed American quality. Chinese manufacturing is gaining ground steadily, as well.

Cold Steel makes--or, for you puerile purists, pays others to make--some fantastic knives that are the equal or better of any manufacturer out there. Case in point:

pwYeCDo.jpg

mcgSBdm.jpg

This knife is among the finest examples of the production cutler's art that I have ever been blessed to own. I'd put it up against any folder on the market in whichever category you'd like to compare (with the possible exception of weight--she's no lightweight!).

-Steve

Last edited:
Who cares if it's a "clone"? Cheap, China-made crap is cheap, China-made crap, either way.

Leaving aside the "China" issue, if someone makes and sells a knife that looks exactly like yours, it's a clone.
If someone makes and sells a knife that looks exactly like yours, AND puts your markings and name on it/box,
then it's a counterfeit.

Leaving aside the "China" issue, if someone makes and sells a knife that looks exactly like yours, it's a clone.
If someone makes and sells a knife that looks exactly like yours, AND puts your markings and name on it/box,
then it's a counterfeit.

Sure. But it's just, Cold Steel doesn't make any knives. They market knives made by others.

So I just don't care about them much. That's all.

I do know like, how the dictionary defines "counterfeit," and stuff.

It is true that Cold Steel does not manufacture their own knives. Never have. Some of the biggest names have had their knives made for them either all or partially. But their rights regarding the products they sell under their brand name are no different than a knifemaker making each individual knife. How you feel about Cold Steel is of course your business and if you don't care for them, that's fine. A competitor selling a "clone" (aka knockoff) is a civil matter involving I.P. rights and patents, whereas "selling counterfeit products" is a Federal crime.

It is true that Cold Steel does not manufacture their own knives. Never have. Some of the biggest names have had their knives made for them either all or partially. But their rights regarding the products they sell under their brand name are no different than a knifemaker making each individual knife. How you feel about Cold Steel is of course your business and if you don't care for them, that's fine. A competitor selling a "clone" (aka knockoff) is a civil matter involving I.P. rights and patents, whereas "selling counterfeit products" is a Federal crime.

Oh I'm fully aware of the legal distinctions and everything. I just don't care about Cold Steel or what happens to them.

That's all.

Back