Fake or Replica Forgecraft knives exsits???

I purchased a small set of Forgecraft knives at the flea market this past weekend, and when I got home something felt wrong about them. They were taped to cardboard and put in a plastic bag for safety, and I didn't take them off the cardboard, so the back of the blade was hidden. They were in great shape, so I didn't worry about it and grabbed them for $10 for an 8" chef, a boning knife, and a 4" parer (not pictured)

My concern is a "Columbia" stamp on the back of the blade, not a very good grind (thick edge), and a cheap feeling handle (soft wood). Are their reproductions of Forgecraft knives? They seem a little cheap to be worth faking. I'm also unfamiliar with "Olde Forge" brand which was another red flag.

Can anyone confirm if these are real or not? From the Columbia stamp alone I'm leaning toward NOT.

Photos:
Notice the two tone finish near the heel on the Chef. It appeared to come off when I sanded it with 800 grit sand paper. Weird, maybe a coating to prevent rust, but its almost like a thin chrome plating or something. IDK!
BBF75F3E-95A5-4AB8-8100-69B1245E41C1_zps6lpz2euo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5A963F4D-B68A-480D-A951-EC393BA39054_zpsp6ilthco.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
19C26C4E-BFE7-45F8-BB97-9757208A24F8_zps4etbmtdv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The other forgecrafts I own have straight angles cut on the scales to the tang. These are curved. And the wood used feels wrong, its too soft.
66C9AAB2-2F77-412A-9F69-1BF309D920D1_zpsiniwhwm4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here I showcase the grind and the edge. Huge bevel on one side, almost none on the other.
5399EF69-F963-4195-B5F8-DC0326B9E06C_zpsrjthdoke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
F97F7916-0B18-45E7-8541-EE4F44C3CCE0_zpskby3rys1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any comments on if these knives are real, and if they are worth keeping if they are not, are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

BladeCommander BladeCommander What did you conclude?

I don’t fully remember, but my conclusion was they were either imported to mimic the Forgecraft style, or made for a lower cost market domestically in that style. So not necessarily fake, but not actual Forgecraft as I was hoping. The early Forgecraft had thin edges and hard steel. I have a few of them, but I had to buy my Forgecraft 10” chef knife on EBay.

The Olde Forge chef knife I reground for practice and gifted to a coworker. I had it back for sharpening several times over the last few years and it is holding up very well. The steel is good and takes nice patina without getting rusty. So I would say the steel is good, but the grind and finish is lacking. Worth the price I paid, but not much more.

Interesting, I wonder if Incolma could have made these ?

They make all kinds of other bladed tools aside from machetes and it would not surprise me if they make cutlery as well.

Back