Fake Paramilitary 2?

I figure my best bet is to post some pictures and ask.

It's been years since I've handled a PM2 and was recently gifted one by my Fiancee. I normally buy most of my knives through recommended and reputable dealers - most recently, a Gayle Bradley 2. After reading "fake" threads over the past few years and comparing the two boxes (GB 2 and the PM2) I wanted to make sure I have the real thing. The PM2 was purchased on Amazon for what seems to be the normal price of a PM2.

The box is the only thing that has me a bit worried but I don't have a second PM2 to directly compare it to. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. If some of the information needs to be sent through a PM as to not make it public, that's fine. After watching some youtube videos and reading a bunch of threads, the differences between the fakes and the real ones are quite small. FWIW, the one I have is rock solid with no blade play - good detent too. I have yet to test edge retention on the blade just in case it needs to be returned. The box it came in did not have the Edge-U-Cation paper - just the standard flyer, plastic bag and slightly smaller foam.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. :D Thanks again for any help.

20170211_144929_zpsxx6xbev7.jpg

20170211_144910_zpsjh94lduw.jpg

20170211_144844_zps7yhlsrcc.jpg

20170211_144847_zpsit9vudsf.jpg

20170211_144831_zpsr5hibxur.jpg

20170211_144821_zpsiexdmmh8.jpg

No expert here, but I think you got lucky. Looks good to me.
Joe

^^^ [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji6]

A very gracious & generous offer!!!
Zatch, jump on it before he lowers his offer!!

looks legit, nothing stands out to me. Fakes have a rigid ramp on the g10 which slopes down to the compression lock area.

The generosity is second to none:D

Sorry for the late reply, work was crazy. I'm glad to hear that I was just being a bit crazy. I've read enough threads to make me wonder.

I do have to say that I'm in love with the PM2. It fits my big hands perfectly and will end being my main work knife. I owned one a couple years back for a brief moment and I've missed having one since letting it go. For me, it lives up to the hype that it seems to have.

Though...the GB 2 might have it beat. :thumbup:

Thanks again!

I also think it looks authentic. FWIW, IIRC, I once bought a Spyderco from an authorized dealer and also did not get the Edge-U-Cation paper. I was not expecting that, but basically dismissed it as an oversight on someone's part somewhere along the way. I don't remember which PM2 it was, but I have yet to personally encounter a fake, knock on wood!!!

I also think it looks authentic. FWIW, IIRC, I once bought a Spyderco from an authorized dealer and also did not get the Edge-U-Cation paper. I was not expecting that, but basically dismissed it as an oversight on someone's part somewhere along the way. I don't remember which PM2 it was, but I have yet to personally encounter a fake, knock on wood!!!
I've gone through a few Spyderco's and I think this was the first time I didn't recieve one. Although, opening a box up and finding one with all kinds of misspelled words, like I've seen in other unfortunate cases, would be a sad sign.

Knife looks ok but the box def looks fake to me. The UPC code specifically the numbers are usually bolder and closer to the barcode, almost if not sometimes slightly overlapping.

Also might help if u took a picture of the entire knife. Certain things are easier to nitpick then. I know the lanyard tube is usually a big give away as well as the spydie logo on the pocket clip

Here is a real spydie box barcode. Also look inside the box, the foam cushing is usually think (cant see tru) and not perfectly flush with the inside of box. Fake ones are flush with inside of box and a thinner more seetru foam.

90fe8550a82a03674f962e00a7018700.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a real spydie box barcode. Also look inside the box, the foam cushing is usually think (cant see tru) and not perfectly flush with the inside of box. Fake ones are flush with inside of box and a thinner more seetru foam.

90fe8550a82a03674f962e00a7018700.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The chances are bigger that the box differs than the knife in case of original products.

Taking a look at a box is only 5% to know if it is authentic, due to the fact that paper boxes and barcode stickers are extremely easy to make.

For instant, all of my Spyderco barcodes differ in thickness of font, so that is a really lame way to determine one is fake or not.

The easiest wat to find out your para2 is authentic, is to feel the quality. Replica's often are made from inferior quality, strength of pocket clips, etc.

Also the corners of the G10 at the compression lock should be not cornered.

Yours look legit, but you already figured that out.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Knife looks ok but the box def looks fake to me. The UPC code specifically the numbers are usually bolder and closer to the barcode, almost if not sometimes slightly overlapping.

Also might help if u took a picture of the entire knife. Certain things are easier to nitpick then. I know the lanyard tube is usually a big give away as well as the spydie logo on the pocket clip

20170213_031134_zpszrzumltl.jpg

20170213_031228_001_zpsyqq4psv0.jpg

[
20170213_030920_zpsoxzdvaot.jpg

Let me know if you notice anything.

The foam seems correct to me and is identical to a Gayle Bradley 2 box that was purchased from a reputable source. The label was the first thing that made me thing something could be wrong.

To me, the knife does seem authentic. I've never bought or handled a "fake" and can't make a comparison in that regard...but it seems solid. G10, pocket clip, lockup, being able to open smoothly without noticeable play. I haven't had any issues with steel when it's been used at work.

Thanks again for the responses and help!

Dude, just believe everyone and stop searching for things that arent there. Youre PM2 is authentic.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Looks fake. Ill give ya $50 for it.

The generosity is second to none:D

Maybe I'm mistaken here, guys, but I think sanman's tongue was firmly in his cheek when he wrote that post. I sure laughed when I first read it. Or am I misreading your posts? :confused:

Sorry for the late reply, work was crazy. I'm glad to hear that I was just being a bit crazy. I've read enough threads to make me wonder.

I do have to say that I'm in love with the PM2. It fits my big hands perfectly and will end being my main work knife. I owned one a couple years back for a brief moment and I've missed having one since letting it go. For me, it lives up to the hype that it seems to have.

Though...the GB 2 might have it beat. :thumbup:

Thanks again!

The PM2 is indeed a great knife. Despite all the blades I have, one of my two often finds its way into my pocket and gets used. Same for my GB1.

Yours looks good to me from the pics you provided. The notches in the liners shown below are generally considered to be a positive indicator of authenticity.

ZK5lxOc.jpg

A little paranoia goes a long way. As they say, just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean everybody's not actually out to get you. :p

Back