Fall into Fun GAW (Winner: ED)

First of All my favorite Fall/Winter Activity - Watching TV/napping on a brisk Winter day. I've lost about 50-pounds since this picture was taken.

lWVK5jg.jpg

A Buck and some of his Does at our back fence. We don't use the antenna anymore. We've gone modern with DirecTV.

08lJ0Yp.jpg

My kind of deer hunting.

rTZKWez.jpg

My Neighborhood.

DYqyVFW.jpg

My hunting dog "Utah". Famous for tracking down and devouring cookie crumbs and the like.

hmadFzI.jpg

Oh, almost forgot a knife. Schrade LB7 Custom Stag Bear Paw with file work.

sH9T0BN.jpg

5EB7Ap3.jpg

Last edited:
This should move you; so .333 would make me a star in baseball. I'm in.
Moving along... :D

First of All my favorite Fall/Winter Activity - Watching TV/napping on a brisk Winter day.

lWVK5jg.jpg
You are talking to a professional napper here.

My Neighborhood.

DYqyVFW.jpg
Love your neighborhood!!!

My hunting dog "Utah". Famous for tracking down and devouring cookie crumbs and the like.

hmadFzI.jpg
Hey Ed, your dog is eyeing my cookies!!!

Nice looking knife, I am in please!
One of our fall activities is going to the pumpkin patch every year that one of the local churches runs:)

Look out, that giant hay turkey is about to gobble up your kid!!!
Pumpkin patches are so much fun and just scream Autumn.

I'll share one of my favorite Fall activities...
Fall is when the Steelhead and Half Pounders are in the rivers. Catching BIG fish on a fly rod is such a rush.
Just what you always wanted, a picture of a picture :D But at least this way I can include a knife in the picture...

About 20 years ago, my grandfather passed away when I was in college. I didn't get to spend as much time with him during his final 2 years as I would have liked, and if I had been home I'm sure I would have had many more pleasant visits with him. But among the numerous activities that he really enjoyed in life, was making apple cider in the fall. I have quite a few memories of watching him and my dad press and jug cider, while I drank more than my share. The last few years he was alive, it was easier for him to go buy cider than to do the work of making it himself, and so his old press sat out and rotted away.

Fast forward 15 years, I got married and bought a house with an apple orchard, and I asked my dad "what ever happened to Grandpa's old cider press?" The answer was, "I think it's out there about 100 yards into the woods laying in a pile of rotted wood and rusty nails." I told my dad my idea of wanting to make cider again, and wouldn't it be cool to do it with Grandpa's old press. We dug it out from under the leaves and moss, and looked at the giant mess, and thought it may be easier to just go buy a new press.

But I was determined to give it a go. My dad had vague memories of how it was first assembled back when he was a young teenager, and we slowly pieced together a blueprint of how it could be rebuilt. Almost anything wood needed to be replaced, the grinder blades were worn and rusted, the screw was siezed up and rusted. I ended up taking 2 days off work, and working in the garage with my dad to salvage anything possible, and build new anything that needed made. And since it was going to get used with kids around, I also added a lot of safety features.

P1030270.jpg

The only parts original are the threaded screw, the steel press plate, the grinder blades, and the oak barrel. Actually, the oak barrel was beyond saving last year, so as of 3 weeks ago that is now new also. What started out as a fun family tradition for my wife and daughter and dad, now involves my sister and her family, my other grandparents, my cousins and their kids, and some friends as well. It now is a giant cookout picnic that everyone looks forward to all year long, and everyone brings apples to make their own cider.

IMG_1629.jpg

The kids gather around the grinder, and each one gets their own bushel of apples to throw in. We mix about 5-6 varieties of apples together.

P1030316.jpg IMG_4252.jpg

And the kids really love drinking it straight out of the nozzle. I think we only get to jug about 1/2 of it, and the rest gets drank right on the spot.
P1030324.jpg

So now we have 4 generations of family together during our cider parties. It has become the new favorite family tradition. I'm sure my Grandpa would approve.

Thanks for the chance to enter this GAW, I'm In!

About 20 years ago, my grandfather passed away when I was in college. I didn't get to spend as much time with him during his final 2 years as I would have liked, and if I had been home I'm sure I would have had many more pleasant visits with him. But among the numerous activities that he really enjoyed in life, was making apple cider in the fall. I have quite a few memories of watching him and my dad press and jug cider, while I drank more than my share. The last few years he was alive, it was easier for him to go buy cider than to do the work of making it himself, and so his old press sat out and rotted away.

Fast forward 15 years, I got married and bought a house with an apple orchard, and I asked my dad "what ever happened to Grandpa's old cider press?" The answer was, "I think it's out there about 100 yards into the woods laying in a pile of rotted wood and rusty nails." I told my dad my idea of wanting to make cider again, and wouldn't it be cool to do it with Grandpa's old press. We dug it out from under the leaves and moss, and looked at the giant mess, and thought it may be easier to just go buy a new press.

But I was determined to give it a go. My dad had vague memories of how it was first assembled back when he was a young teenager, and we slowly pieced together a blueprint of how it could be rebuilt. Almost anything wood needed to be replaced, the grinder blades were worn and rusted, the screw was siezed up and rusted. I ended up taking 2 days off work, and working in the garage with my dad to salvage anything possible, and build new anything that needed made. And since it was going to get used with kids around, I also added a lot of safety features.

View attachment 988441

The only parts original are the threaded screw, the steel press plate, the grinder blades, and the oak barrel. Actually, the oak barrel was beyond saving last year, so as of 3 weeks ago that is now new also. What started out as a fun family tradition for my wife and daughter and dad, now involves my sister and her family, my other grandparents, my cousins and their kids, and some friends as well. It now is a giant cookout picnic that everyone looks forward to all year long, and everyone brings apples to make their own cider.

View attachment 988444

The kids gather around the grinder, and each one gets their own bushel of apples to throw in. We mix about 5-6 varieties of apples together.

View attachment 988445 View attachment 988446

And the kids really love drinking it straight out of the nozzle. I think we only get to jug about 1/2 of it, and the rest gets drank right on the spot.
View attachment 988447

So now we have 4 generations of family together during our cider parties. It has become the new favorite family tradition. I'm sure my Grandpa would approve.

That is an awesome family tradition. I especially like that you tried to save as much of the old press as possible. I'm not sure that I will actually manage to mount the effort of doing this myself, but now I definitely want to. Who knows :)

View attachment 988441

View attachment 988444

View attachment 988445 View attachment 988446

View attachment 988447

Quality post. Nothing says Fall like apple cider and smiling kids.

A very generous giveaway John :) I'm really enjoying reading everyone's entries :thumbsup:

Not an entry from me please, but I love Autumn, and it's when I enjoy hiking most, particularly in the woods. I have thousands of photos, but I happened to find these in a folder I'd titled 'Autumn in Yorkshire' from when I first started posting in The Porch :) My camera was even more basic back then! :D :thumbsup:

And a knife pic ;) My 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

To celebrate the First Day of Fall... I'm going fishing...

Unfortunately, we are celebrating the first day of Fall by painting the house. Yesterday we painted the pole barn.

I’d like my entry to go to Rookie82.

This is what I can’t wait for.
View attachment 990073

Remington 760 isn't it? I have a couple of them both in .30-06 one scoped one unscoped . Unfortunately, I didn't draw a der tag this year.

I’d like my entry to go to Rookie82.

This is what I can’t wait for.
View attachment 990073
Very nice of you to enter for somebody else. I miss my hunting days sometimes. Thanks for adding to the thread.

A very generous giveaway John :) I'm really enjoying reading everyone's entries :thumbsup:

Not an entry from me please, but I love Autumn, and it's when I enjoy hiking most, particularly in the woods. I have thousands of photos, but I happened to find these in a folder I'd titled 'Autumn in Yorkshire' from when I first started posting in The Porch :) My camera was even more basic back then! :D :thumbsup:

Awesome Jack. Thanks for adding some good content to the thread and showing us the beautiful Fall countryside.

Unfortunately, we are celebrating the first day of Fall by painting the house. Yesterday we painted the pole barn.
I'm back and now my wife wants me to stain the shutters. I should have stayed on the river :mad:

It was a beautiful Fall day on the river. The fishing wasn't great but the Sierras were a great place to spend the morning.
I've got the itch too and will be heading up the Sierras for some fishing and nature's goodness in a few days...Velma Lakes in Desolation Wilderness I think this time around and I'll definitely try to get some photos :)

Thank you very much for the opportunity I'm in. I didn't have to think very hard about this one hands down my favorite thing to do in the fall ( My very favorite time of year. ) is to walk the walking trails in my City. You see I was in a car accident back in 1998 and I broke both legs both arms dislocated my hip and broke my right foot in 3 different places. In all I had 24 broken bones. One being a compound fracture to my right leg witch took a 2 1/2 inch titanium rod to put back in place witch is still in there to this day. I'm telling you all this to explain I have mobility issues that limit me quite a bit in what I can do these days. Which sucks because I used to love walking in the woods. My dad would take me as a kid on the weekends when he came to pick me up . Sometimes fishing sometimes just hiking. As I got older I still continued doing this when I got the opportunity. After the accident I did heal fairly well. I managed to get back up on my feet in just 3 months mind you I was still in lots of pain. As it turns out my right foot that I broke in 3 places ended up with arthritis all threw it as well as my right leg so that was the end of my walking in the woods. Until I moved from my hometown of Saint John to Fredericton that is. All over New Brunswick there are old abandoned train tracks and Fredericton is no exception. The cool thing is they put this opportunity to good use. The Saint John River runs straight through the middle of the city and on each side there were train tracks running along side the river so the city had the tracks removed and made walking trails out of most of the tracks going through town. The coolest part was they even made a huge beautiful walking bridge out of the old train brige. Because these trails are ether paved or well kept with gravel even with my bum leg I can take a nice walk as long as I take my time. There's plenty of spots to stop and rest if I need it too. This time of year the trees are very nice to look at many people travel here just to see them. Much like they do in Maine in the US I'm sure. I only live about 85 minutes from Calais Maine. So I'll include a few pictures of the trails as well as the walking bridge that help to give me back something I truly missed doing

Dude you have been through the ringer. I know about mobility issues and they suck but good on you my friend for working hard to get past your health issues.

Since I have not only won GAW's recently but have been gifted knives if my post wins I would like the knife to go to @meako and I will be happy to pay for the shipping for my friend. I'm in for Meako.

I love fall and since I can't hike any more I love to just ride around and look at the beauty of fall

ewLHJuG.jpg

988WhVD.jpg

fjOOQXn.jpg

KVbkQDP.jpg

Nice pics Jack:thumbsup: Did you know they don't allow farmers in the U.S. to make their hay bales round? They prefer that the livestock get a 'square' meal ;) :D

Back