Fallkniven A1

I'm new to BladeForums but so far it's been a wealth of information. I've been looking for a moderately priced, high quality survival knife. I think I've found it in the Fallkniven A1. However, I have two questions regarding this particular knife:

1) Aside from aesthetic preferences, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the black teflon coated blade vs. the uncoated blade? I assume that the teflon coated blade is much more resistant to corrosion, but how well does it hold up? Does it wear off or scratch easily in general use? Is it worth the extra corrosion protection that it may provide?

2) From reading the various postings regarding this knife, It appears that the blade was originally manufactured with a flat grind, however, Fallkniven has since started using a convex grind on these knives. Is this correct? If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the convex grind vs. the flat grind? Is the convex grind an improvement?

Any responses would be appreciated.

I have not used their coating but I would be very surprised if it stayed on during any kind of heavy use and the A1 is obviously a heavy use blade.

Convex edges allow thin edges to be well supported. This way you get strong cutting performance from the acute edge, but in case you hit something hard, you will not blow a big chunk out of the edge.

If the edge was flat ground at the same angle if you not be as well supported and you could take major damage on a hard hit. If you increased the flat grind angle to get the same support as with the convex edge then it would not cut nearly as well.

The main reason flat grinds are so common is concern about sharpening. Most rigs/systems are set up to only deal with flat grinds.

-Cliff

Originally posted by Vince:
1) Aside from aesthetic preferences, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the black teflon coated blade vs. the uncoated blade?

Is it worth the extra corrosion protection that it may provide?

Not unless you'll be using it in or near salt water.

I just recently acquired an A1 and my response was, "Where have you been all my life?" This thing is a brute and a winner especially with such a reasonable price and VG10 steel. Personally, I dislike blade coatings. I have never seen one hold up and they will highlight even small scratches. I guess they help somewhat in retarding rust but why bother when VG10 is highly rust resistant to begin with.

Gene..
Your right.. The Telfon Coating holds up execllent..
I have chopped half a forest down and the coating only shows slight scrathes..

VG-10 is very corrosion resistant and i find it holds an extremley good edge..

I got a A1 and it has a convex Grind.
This like a very slight hollow grind.
I like this knife very much and had a much fun withit when i travel 4 weeks trough europe. It doesn't look so agressive and military like so you can use it in public too (Perhabs not in city but on campingplace)
The chopping abilitys are not the best, cause of the lenght but they are quiet okay.
The A1 has a very good grip and handling.
You cant go wrong with this Baby.

I am extremely happy with my satin A1. Excellent steel. Far above what I have come to expect from a stainless steel. I think it's the best 6"-7" field knife available, especially for the money. The F1 is also a winner. The corrosion resistance of VG-10 is very good, at least in my personal experiance with the A1 and F1. I would get the satin finish A1.

Back