fancy scales sale #1, vintage micarta, SOLD

The reason I say what I did, is not to be dis-respectful or anything, just honest.

Nathan has said he planned to continue sales as he increased production and that as he reached saturation and things slowed down, the issue would self correct. However as Nathan and Jo have gone on to double production, and double it again, demand has continued to grow faster than that production growth. Production of the last couple models to be retired, the FK and the Kitchen knife were no where close to the saturation point and saw increased demand once retirement was announced.

The best indicator of future behavior is relevant past behavior. If Nathan gets bored of a model after producing several hundred, then goes on to retire it, so long as it is a general use pattern, like the kitchen knife and the FK and still an amazing product and value I think they will be retired in high demand.

Shelf stock? Good luck trying to find a single CPK for sale right now. LOL.

Honestly, if he did an unannounced sale of 100 FK's right now I think they would sell within an hour. Same goes with the Kitchen Knives. I completely agree I don't think he will reach a point where he has shelf stock unless he opens a warehouse full of machinery and workers that can pump out maybe 10-20x his current output.

Honestly, if he did an unannounced sale of 100 FK's right now I think they would sell within an hour. Same goes with the Kitchen Knives. I completely agree I don't think he will reach a point where he has shelf stock unless he opens a warehouse full of machinery and workers that can pump out maybe 10-20x his current output.

I don't know that reaching that size is even a goal of his. Maybe it is. His standards are high, he is shipping field grade that is better than almost everyone else fit and finish wise. I mean even if making knives full time is his goal, I don't know if managing a shop full of people making knives equates to making knives.

I agree on the FK sale, or EDC etc. People would jump all over the list if given half a chance, and the Friday sales would still be a gong show.

I don't know that reaching that size is even a goal of his. Maybe it is. His standards are high, he is shipping field grade that is better than almost everyone else fit and finish wise. I mean even if making knives full time is his goal, I don't know if managing a shop full of people making knives equates to making knives.

I agree on the FK sale, or EDC etc. People would jump all over the list if given half a chance, and the Friday sales would still be a gong show.

I don't think it's his goal either. It would most likely very profitable but I don't think that's the direction he is aiming for. I was just saying that type of production level would be required to fill demand (IMO). If the Carother's brand ever got that big, maybe it wouldn't be enough though!!

Also +1 on the fit and finish of his knives knocking other makers out of the park.

"slow, but steady, wins the race"

-ancient tortoise proverb

" JustinFournier "

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all :) I love knives, but I love to keep blades fun ! So ahh to dream that one day I can just order some :) :) until then it's preorder or highly unlikely shot at Friday sales lol :) :)

Want a unicorn to stock the shelves too?!

Oh man that would be awesome if you could make that happen for me. I've wanted to eat a unicorn since I was a little boy!

I'm continuing to improve my process and better align the capabilities of the shop with my needs as a knifemaker. We will eventually get there and shelf stock will happen. :thumbup:

Not this year, and maybe not next year, but eventually.

I have a background in manufacturing and a compact vertically integrated business. One has to be careful not to ramp up too quickly, but I feel like the foundation is now well set and it is only a matter of time as I get my ducks in a row that we will eventually be able to produce work at a rate to match demand. I just have to stay focused and avoid diversions and this will work. I think the biggest mistake I could make right now would be to get over extended in a rush to meet demand and drop the ball. So you will see steady incremental improvement rather than a sudden jump. <--- but we will get there.

Eat a ugly one-horned mule? Probably just find it tastes like guilt, crusher of little girl's dreams!

I hope you do get that level of production if that is what you want. And I hope your demand only continues to grow!

Oh man that would be awesome if you could make that happen for me. I've wanted to eat a unicorn since I was a little boy!

I'm continuing to improve my process and better align the capabilities of the shop with my needs as a knifemaker. We will eventually get there and shelf stock will happen. :thumbup:

Not this year, and maybe not next year, but eventually.

I have a background in manufacturing and a compact vertically integrated business. One has to be careful not to ramp up too quickly, but I feel like the foundation is now well set and it is only a matter of time as I get my ducks in a row that we will eventually be able to produce work at a rate to match demand. I just have to stay focused and avoid diversions and this will work. I think the biggest mistake I could make right now would be to get over extended in a rush to meet demand and drop the ball. So you will see steady incremental improvement rather than a sudden jump. <--- but we will get there.

Unfortunately for users like me, it appears you have collector status. So... I look forward to the day when I can buy one.. and the collectors look forward to the day when they can boast about their "Pre (insert random date)". Keep up the (apparently, I have no personal experience) good work.

Unfortunately for users like me, it appears you have collector status. So... I look forward to the day when I can buy one.. and the collectors look forward to the day when they can boast about their "Pre (insert random date)". Keep up the (apparently, I have no personal experience) good work.

Next time don't show up for a sale an hour late and you'll stand a better chance ;)

I scored knives on both my first and second try - had to pass the 1st one up, but took advantage of the second.

If I can do it, so can you - I'm new to CPK and the forum at large too, and have zero special advantages. Just a lucky horseshoe up my butt, apparently.

And take heart that you're not trying to get your hands on knives from... the other prominent maker on the forums that focuses on midtech knives in 3V. I'll refrain from saying more, but stick around and have some tenacity, and you'll probably land what you're after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timi, while as a former customer I completely understand your frustration with whom/what you insinuated in your last sentence, I think that it would be prudent to keep those references strictly on the other side. :thumbup:

Timi, while as a former customer I completely understand your frustration with whom/what you insinuated in your last sentence, I think that it would be prudent to keep those references strictly on the other side. :thumbup:

[emoji106] I've spoken all I have to say on the subject [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy, please don't make Nathan get the goat out.

This one is done, in the books as far as I know. Let us look forward to next week!

Back