Fantacy trip.

Okay, I've been watchinng too many late night C grade movies and eating pepperoni pizza before bedtime. But...

If you could go back in time as part of a science experiment, and bring back some pocket knives as a side bonus, when and where would you go?

1930's to get some real Remingtons before the depression got them?

1890's and Shefield at it's hight of glory?

1870's and some real Russell's barlows new in box?

1930's Germany and a cigar box of horn handled Bruckman's?

Where would you go?

Myself, I'm very tempted by Sheffield and the way our British cousins treated thier stag. I blame it on s-k and all those great pics.

Since you mentioned a cigar box, I can obviously pick a container to bring them home in. In that case I'd go back to 1969 (year i was born) and bring back as many classic Case, Schrade, Camillus and Imperials as I could fit in a 1969 Corvette L-88. :D

Chris

New York - Just a little before the turn of the century, by rail, followed up with a jaunt out to Colorado.

deer_tracks.jpg

Sounds folksy!

Okay, I've been watchinng too many late night C grade movies and eating pepperoni pizza before bedtime. But...

If you could go back in time as part of a science experiment, and bring back some pocket knives as a side bonus, when and where would you go?

1930's to get some real Remingtons before the depression got them?

1890's and Shefield at it's hight of glory?

1870's and some real Russell's barlows new in box?

1930's Germany and a cigar box of horn handled Bruckman's?

Where would you go?

Myself, I'm very tempted by Sheffield and the way our British cousins treated thier stag. I blame it on s-k and all those great pics.

1930s, and as many Remingtons, Winchesters, LF&Cs, and S&Ms as I can possibly stuff in the brand new 1932 Cadillac V16 I'd be driving.

1930's and as many Remington's as I could carry!! Can't say I would mind going back to about that same time and grabbing some Case knives as well.

I would go back to the 1930-ties to Eskilstuna and bye some good swedish slipjoints from the times they were made by hand by skilled handmakers.
Would pick up a Viktorinox also.

On the other hand I could go to the early 70-ties and bye me a puma pony and a new prospector.

Bosse

I would pick Sheffield, without question--but I would like to go back a few years earlier to catch more of the great exhibitions.

In all cases, the same rules that apply to the Blade show would apply to our fantasy trips: Bring lots of gold!!!:D

probably '30 and pick up some remingtons in a Ford T, but 1963 and a splitwindow full of case, schrade, camillus etc. would be tempting too, maybe I could fit it all in one trip?! :D

Peter

ps: interesting idea by the way. Could be a novel for knife nuts, Somebody traveling trough the centuries and visiting all of the places you've mentions, while picking up a bunch of knives. Maybe one or two tricky situations along the way, where he gets out of it while using some folksy approach.

Sheffield without a doubt for me, but that is my favorite era. Those Remingtons would run a close second.

Odd, that I have no Sheffield knives (other than a bunch of books), but do have a few old Rems isn't it. :D.

So how about 1890's at the age of twenty and hang around until 1932 or so. ;).

Since you mentioned a cigar box, I can obviously pick a container to bring them home in. In that case I'd go back to 1969 (year i was born) and bring back as many classic Case, Schrade, Camillus and Imperials as I could fit in a 1969 Corvette L-88. :D

Chris

Sounds good to me, but it would be '67 and a Stingray... :)

I'd be temted though, to do the 1880s or 90s and just not come back. :D

G.

Being a blues harp guy, I'd go back to the South side of Chicago in the early '50s and groove on Muddy Waters' band with Little Walter. Then I'd hit a hardware store and stuff my pockets full of Case and Robeson and Schrade Walden knives.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Tony Bose started making slipjoints in the 1970s. I'd probably go to that time period and get a handful of his early knives, and maybe a couple of Morans and Lovelesses. While I'm there I'd also pick up a few thousand shares in Microsoft.

I'd be temted though, to do the 1880s or 90s and just not come back
Ahh, yes, in the days before blood thinners and ace inhibitors, I'd think I'd do just fine.
Can I go back to 1947 and buy a bunch of long action Smith & Wessons?

I'd cross the Atlantic in 1870 on the newly built clipper Cutty Sark to get hold of the Russell's. And maybe i'd like them so much i'd stay. Who knows...

Back to the late 1970's & 80's - and convince myself not to sell/trade/lose/give away all those knives that I regret, uh, selling/trading/losing/giving away . . .

thx - cpr

I'm a Latin teacher by profession, so I'd have Sherman and Peabody set the Way-Back Machine for Rome in the 1st century BC. I'd be really curious to see what sorts of things were typical edc blades; the sorts of things that were so utilitarian that they are never really mentioned in extant literature.

After reading jackknife's memoir post's I don't think I could help but to teleport myself back to 1950-/early '60s Maryland (and turn myself into a 12 year old).

Back to Sheffield and Solingen in July of 1914 to look at cutlers' art before the Continent got messed up in a century of wars:mad:

I'd just like to be able to order some from this 1927 Anderson & Ireland Co. Hardware Distributors Catalog. It's got Russell Barlows on the same page with the Remingtons and the price for the Russel No.62 2 blade is $5 per DOZEN!! :D The Remington Scouts were pretty salty at $22 per dozen.:eek:

Back