Fantastic RAT 7 pickup

Got a RAT 7 from a large retailer (the one in the mid-dle of USA, if you know what I mean) for a bargain price. The box indicates that it made in March 2019, so I think it is 1075 steel. The knife feels very light and well balanced. The balance point is neutral, right at the beginning of the handle scales. The grind lines are perfect, as is the the fit/finish too. The handle scales align perfectly without any issues. The color of the scales (off white) contrasts very nicely with the dark coating on the blade. I did not expect this level of quality or artistic good looks at this price level. I only wish I had got this knife years ago! Well, maybe not, it might have come in 1095 back then. I like the switch over to 1075 steel, same as Condor now. I feel it will be a lot tougher for chopping or batonning, even if it does have to be sharpened more frequently.

Why do you think it is 1075?
It is kind of sketchy to figure out what steel it is, since they don't print the steel type on the knife. Basically two reasons, Ontario's website specifies 1075 (see under additional information for RAT 7) and they said the change started two years ago. If mine was made in March 2019, it must be 1075. Unless it's a mil-spec knife. They did say their mil-spec knives are still 1095. But their website specifies 1075 so I'm going with that. I'd be happier with 1075, but even if it were 1095, I'm still happy with this knife.:)

I knew they had changed to 1075 for their machetes (or, at least the larger ones)...I didn't know the change extended further into their lineup. I got curious when I saw your thread yesterday & checked a few retail sites (they listed 1095), and Ontario (said 5160 or 1095)... now I see the additional mention of 1075.

I knew they had changed to 1075 for their machetes (or, at least the larger ones)...I didn't know the change extended further into their lineup. I got curious when I saw your thread yesterday & checked a few retail sites (they listed 1095), and Ontario (said 5160 or 1095)... now I see the additional mention of 1075.
It's kind of like a Lucio Fulci horror movie: nobody knows what the hell is going on.:D They have 1095 and 5160 listed at one place, and then it says 1075 a bit later. It appears the dealers haven't updated their descriptions. And then there was this thread a while back: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/okcs-sp-series-1095-switch-to-1075-steel.1592721/ See post 12.

I remember reading that at the time; but the comment about all knives not under specification have been switched must not have clicked, as I didn't think it was a complete change. Thanks for the reminder.

I only have 3 Ontario knives, and of them 2 are 5160 (which generally I like).

I was about to buy the very same knife from the same retailer, but I'm going to pass now. Condor I believe is switching to 1095, at least in part. Joe Flowers said he's been trying to get Condor to switch over for years. I understand Ontario's business plan, it might very well keep them in business and that's great for them. I have a few Ontario knives in 1095 and 5160.

Back