Fantasy swords: Highlander & The Blade

For a long time now, I have been fascinated by the design of those Hollywood swords depicted in movies like the Highlander and The Blade.

Sometimes I tell myself that one or two of these swords would look nice on my walls. The question is: Are they worth buying?

What kind of materials are used in making these replicas? I know for sure, these swords are purely for ornamental purposes, so functionality is out of the question.

Of course, one can use it to frighten the back alley cats!

All in all, is it worth spending money on these fantasy swords?

If you think they would look better on your wall then that 1970s vintage Farrah Fawcett poster then by all means get one. But, don't swing the these things. The blade is likely to fly off the handle.

Just to add emphasis to what N2S already said,
DON'T EVER SWING THEM!

The "Highlander" sword in particular is famous for sending the blade flying at the slightest provocation.

I have no knowledge of the "Blade" sword at all, but I'd err on the side of caution and assume similar construction.

I've seen lots of these swords at our local "House of Knives". All I can say is :barf: when it comes to quality or strength.

But for looks only they would be ok hanging on a wall.

;) Hi Ken ;)

Hey Bro!
Long time no "see!"
Glad to see you found your way back to BFC, even if you did have to get sick to find the time!
;)

*LL* This is true. But I had to re subscribe back in April so now I get to pretend I'm new and don't know anything.

:D

Uhm...
Pretend?

LMAO!
Sorry, I really couldn't help myself. I tried, I really did.
I just couldn't do it.
;)

If you just like the looks I see nothing wrong with them as decorations.., as mentioned they are of no practical use, but they can be found pretty cheap by doing some scouting around at Swap Meets and such....have fun!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT]].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Having taken a close look at the Sword of the Daywalker from the movie Blade, I would say, avoid it altogether! The handle is flat on one side, and straight from the box, there were scratches on the handle paint. The blade was so wobbly in the handle that I was seriously worried about pointing the blade down! Buy a Paul Chen Practical Katana for the same money and call it a night.

Buy swords from Kris Cutlery or Angus Trim...They function well and they wont shoot out of the handle should you be tempted to swing a sword, but if youre going to leave it on the wall then anything to your liking will do.

Back