Fast folder under $100

I'm looking for a folder which can be drawn from the pocket and opened QUICKLY. I need something that can hold and edge, preferably 58 RC or better. I need a blade between 3 and 4 inches.

So far I've looked at the CRKT knives with the Carson Flipper, and the Kershaw Ken Onion knives with that assisted opening thing. Thanx.

Kershaw/Ken Onion Avalanche. G-10 Handles, high quality spring mechanism, and the CPM 440V definitely can hold an edge. You can probably find one for under $80.

My Al Mar Sere 2000, although not assisted, opens very quickly and is impressively built. Then also you will, I think, have great luck opening most Spyderco folders with speed and alacrity. Folks with much greater exposure to all the great kives out there than I have will be able to suggest even better choices.

Any midsize to large Spyderco.
Twice have I had people at first mistaken it for a switchblade, due to the fast deployment.

Benchmade AFCK is one of the easiest, quickest folders out there. Most of the ones I have had, you would only have to flick your wrist and it was opened.

I recommend the Spyderco Military.

First off, it has a 4" flat ground blade of S30V steel(newest model) or CPM440V(older model) with a very hefty belly on the blade. With the enlarged Hole, deployment is readily accessible and can be lightning fast once you become accustomed to the Spydie drop opening method. And thanks to the nested linerlock, no heavy steel liners which make this great sized blade a breeze to carry....you'll hardly notice that it's there until you need it. ;)

I know of a dealer out of El Paso, TX that has them for $90 plus shipping. Her email addy is Glasshartt@aol.com.

Good Luck.

You might want to also consider the Leek if you like the Kershaw line. I have one and can tell you that it is lightning fast. The blade seems fairly strong but I don't know the Rockwell specs. If you prefer manuals I would say that several of the Spydies or BMs would serve you well.

I can thumb-open my Spyderco stainless Police model pretty quickly...In-fact, just as quick as a friends' "Speed-Safe" Kershaw Boa.

You can get a waved Emerson for under $100. I'm not sure why that hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe I missed something in your post.

Colt Cobra ! One of my favorate openers ! Fast and I like the lock up when it snaps open . Its only 50 bucks and I find it to be a nice knife. Nice knife to play with . Really dont know what the blade steel is , sorry

Get a Waved Emerson. The wave makes them the fastest thing going - it catches on the lip of the pocket as you draw the knife, and pulls the blade open. Its faster than an automatic or a speed-safe, as both those have to be drawn completely and then opened, they DO NOT open while being drawn.
And yes, some folks with practice can open and draw their knives almost as fast as a Waved Emerson can be drawn, BUT - thats in calm, peaceful conditions. In stressful conditions, such as emergencies or self defense situations, with your adrenaline pumping, your fine motor skill goes away and all you are left with is gross motor skills, that will leave you fumbling with your knife. The Wave prevents that, just grab and pull, simple and fast.
Go to www.emersonknives.com and go tot he Video Vault, look for videos that say they are Wave demonstrations.

Look around the for sale forums here, and the online dealerships, you can get an Emerson with a wave for $100 or less.

I have looked at the Commander and the other Emerson knives, but I havn't been able to find one for under $100, and the cheaper the better. I have a friend with the M-16 compact EDC, and it opens damn fast, but only from the drawn possition, flicking it while drawing it from the pocket results in the knive moving toward your back, probably not where you wan't it to go.

Originally posted by satin
Get a Waved Emerson. The wave makes them the fastest thing going - it catches on the lip of the pocket as you draw the knife, and pulls the blade open. Its faster than an automatic or a speed-safe, as both those have to be drawn completely and then opened, they DO NOT open while being drawn.

Alternately you could get another brand of folder and convert it to be waveable. This can be done with a zip tie through the opening hole or by filing a portion of it away.

My suggestion would be a BM550 or 555 with a homemade Wave setup. Roughly half the cost of an Emerson and in several ways a superior knife.

Benchmade D2 Axis AFCK. It's usually a little more than $100 but if you search around the forums you might be able to find one for $90-$100.

IMHO it's the fastest knife in existance!

... one you can get that is not an automatic and is fast is the Cold Steel Ti Lite in Zytel. Average price is between $45 - 55. Quillons built into blade can be flipper or wave. Good luck with your search.

Originally posted by JamesA
You can get a waved Emerson for under $100. I'm not sure why that hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe I missed something in your post.

could you tell me where? I'm looking for a new spearpoint CQC7 satin finish PE or Mini Commander for under $100

Back