Father's Xmas present

I finaly got around to finishing my father's Xmas present, I know it's a little late, but it's finaly done.
52100, bronze gaurd, honey cow horn spacer, streaked buffalo horn handle. 31/2" blade, 3/4" ricasso, 5 1/4" handle. This style is fast becoming a standard iteam, thanks go to Ed Fowler for his desighn influence.

Now I just got to finish my mother's knife, it's ground and ready to ship for heat treat, she wanted stainless.:(

attachment.php

Attachments

• tn_jan15#06.jpg
    tn_jan15#06.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 191
Nice work Will. Did you edge quench it? Just curious... How is the handle attached to the tang? I don't see a pin. Is it just epoxied on? I've been wondering how that type of handle construction is done.

Rick

Thanks, yes it's edge quenched, you can just make out the temper line in the photo, it's nearly a mirror polish, it was lightly etched then buffed.

The handle is held on with Acureglass, no pin. At first I was scepticle and used pins, but now I'm convinced that a hidden tange knife with a solid handle material needs no pin as long as the tange is clean and roughed up, the handle material is a good fit and clean and roughed up and you use a good quality epoxy. You can also undercut the handle on the inside to make a lock so that it won't ever come out.

I've hears some doughts about the streingth of a hidden tange knife, but with a solid handle material and a good fit a hidden tange can be stronger as the whole handle acts as a unit. The knife picutured below in my avatar is one that I took into my head to destroy. I clamped all but about an inch in a vice and atemped to tear the handle off by working it back and forth. eventualy the blade broke, but the handle and gaurd showed no damage. The times I've done this with a full tange knife the handles have always loosened somewhat even with bolts, if not completely poping off because of the flex in the tange. I've still got the handle section around here some where, I'll see if I can find it and post a pic.

Will, Great looking knife and I'm with you on sub tangs. The only way I've been able to remove the handle on mine is beating the crap out of the handle with a hammer. Then you got to chisel the epoxy off the tang. I've never cared for full tang knives but know others sure do. Most mine are threw tangs with my ring nut. Makes fitting easy and when you get ready to epoxy it it holds itself together so there's no need for a jig.
Don't forget to tell your Dad to use the knife. Bet it ends up in a draw but I'm sure he'll love it.....Ray

Very nice Will, I bet your dad will love it. Great steel, great blade shape and I sure do like that buffalo horn, pretty stuff. :cool:

Bill

Really nice one,Will! And the Brownell's Accuglass--it's all I use, of which I use the gel.Stuff the THE best.

Very Nice work.
I made a knife for my father inlaw once. It went dull after some time.

He put the native wood handle in the vice without soft jaws and squeesed it up. he then attacked the blade.

Then he brought it to me to sharpen it.

Better make sure he knows were to get it sharpened from the start.

Back