Favorite Camping Meals?

One of my favorite camp foods is beef jerky. I have a pretty large dehydrator and make batches and batches of the stuff.

Best thing is you can put anything you want in it and no preservatives. I can make a few pounds of jerky for what it costs to buy a few ounces at the store and it’s much better.

6-C3868-D2-5-DEB-4294-B2-EE-ED7431841-B15.jpg

8795-E5-BD-F623-43-DA-B83-C-543524-C97-B43.jpg

2-B4-EAA9-A-121-C-4-D40-84-E1-6-A290-AE0-F150.jpg

This is from the last batch I made. Filled up the dehydrator 3 times and made probably 10 pounds of jerky for about $16.

7-EDE92-B4-0-A6-A-49-D2-A570-0-DAB3-BB3-CB6-B.jpg

418-C4-FEA-9932-4-D46-97-FF-9-E959-EF9-AB9-F.jpg

The rest went in the pantry, but I kept a few bags out for us to snack on.

0-BC9-F337-8940-4-B2-C-AA49-D5212-E328-A67.jpg

If anybody’s interested and has a dehydrator I have a great jerky recipe to share.

Here ya go, fellas! This makes killer jerky.

This marinade works great for 2lbs of meat:

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

4 tsp brown sugar

2 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1-2 tsp red pepper flakes

3-4 tsp liquid smoke

If you like it smokier, put in the 4 tsp of liquid smoke instead of 3. If you like it hotter, put in the 2 tsp pepper flakes instead of 1. It comes out great either way, just hotter and smokier vs less hot and less smoky.

NOTE - Only put the liquid smoke if you’re using a dehydrator or your oven with the door cracked open. Do NOT use any liquid smoke if you’re making the jerky in a smoker. It won’t need any additional smoke.

Remember to cut all the fat off of the meat that you can get to (fat goes rancid in storage), cut it thin - 1/8” to 1/4”, and stop the dehydration when you can bend it cleanly over. It should crack along the bend and you can see white “threads” in the meat. Any less than that and it will be underdone and pretty tough. Much longer than that and it’s like meat powder. Note: recipe can be halved for smaller batches, and tripled, quadrupled, etc. for larger ones.

Go forth and jerk the meats!

ETA - marinate meat at least overnight. 2-3 full days is best. My dehydrator was super cheap at Bass Pro Shop and works great.

Last edited:
My step dad used to venison jerky in a dehydrator but I never learned the process from him. I would interested as well.

My step dad used to venison jerky in a dehydrator but I never learned the process from him. I would interested as well.

Venison jerky is great. I’ve made a lot of it, especially when you get an older deer with tough meat. They still make fine jerky (and sausage).

If you need any tips on jerky just let me know. It’s easy once you get through your first batch or two.

Thank you, AntDog AntDog for that. It's similar to what we do, but the red pepper flakes should add that extra zing to it!

No problem at all. The red pepper flakes really make it “pop”. I do variations on that recipe all the time to switch it up, like substituting teriyaki marinade or allegro for the Worcestershire sauce.

The teriyaki switcheroo works great for turkey jerky.

dinner tonight, because I was smoking a pork shoulder and needed something to do with the small pieces that "fell off the bone" while I was cutting it in half to put in the tupperware.

instant cheese grits, 1 small diced onion, 1 small diced serrano pepper, pulled pork

I use milk to cook my instant grits, but water works fine, too.

put 1 cup liquid and diced veggies into a large cup/small pan and start heating
add 2-3 pouched of instant cheese grits
once it's cooked, stir in the shredded smoked pork and enjoy.

another smoked pulled pork meal:
cook up a cup of rice or barley with a dark beer and 1/2 cup water along with diced onion, garlic, and black pepper
when it's cooked, add 3 cups pulled pork.

mix and serve with shredded cheese and green salsa

or add diced pepper, shrimp and andouille sausage to fake jambalaya

Back