Favorite current model Shrades

What are your favorite current model Shrades? For me it's the Old Timer Senior, and the Old Timer Gunstock Trapper. I modified my Gunstock Trapper by cutting out a thumb relief on the shield side, the same width & depth as the the shield. I then installed a Bandit thumbstud from SMKW. This is the only way to use this accessory, unless you have a bionic thumb! It turned out nice, this is my new small game knife. I didn't make it a one hand opener for a tac knife. I did this to make it different, and it may come in handy. I wish that shrade would make some of their limited knives like the American Flag Commemerative in 1095 instead of Shrade+. This is especially prefered on hunting model fixed blades. RKBA!

My favorite Schrade is my Uncle Henry LB7.
It's like a Buck 110, only better!
There is only three reasons I don't carry it everyday: no thumb-hole or thumb-stud, no pocket-clip, and it's very heavy.
It now lives in my tool bag (the one in my truck) and it still gets plenty of use.

Al,
My favorite is the 51OT...a solid lockback in high carbon steel with a large blade. Sweeeeeet!

Of course, I love all of the Old timers.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Hard choice. I guess I would have to go with my Old Timer Trapper. Its the one with the clip point and spey blades. It also has the tweezers and 'spike' thing (looks like a nail with a brass knob on top). It is a solid knife that handles heavy work very well. I dont know the model number.

BTW, what is that spike thing used for?

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

I am enclosing a picture of 3 of my favorite large Schrade folders each one has certain attributes which makes it a nice larger folder to carry. First of all you will notice each one has been outfitted with a lil bandit thumb stud. I do not like holes in my knives and also prefer them with a solid heft. The bandit stud allows me to set up the knife so that it fits me best. Since I am a lefty and each knife sits differently, this helps to make a personalized release which is quite smooth. The shortest knife is a 504OT (no longer made) it was schrades offering at a semi sunfish or elephant toe with a lock back. the knife is fairly thin and flat the wide blade allows the lil bandit a little more room between blade and handle. The usual OT sawcut delrin fits nice in a jean back pocket or in a cloth pouch. ( they came with a leather belt pouch.) You have to love the wide blade. These did not sell well and were only in there line a couple of years, They did however use this style on one of the knives in there presendential series commeratives. The LB 7 is a style still available the stud on the blade does I feel help in presenting the knife with one hand, or in a hurry. It also eliminates one of the 3 problems mentioned about them. The MA 5 is a wood handled fillet knife and I feel that it and the slightly larger MA 6 were the best folding fillet knives ever made. The square wood grooved handle fits like a glove while this is a fillet style it makes a great boning or general purpose knife ( great for this slicing venison peperoni and cheese while drinking beer at hunting camp or out fishing.} The leather tong helps in fast retreval of the knives from it's cloth sheath or back jean pocket. It also while a little longer than the other two styles is also a bit lighter. Unfortunately while the thumb stub is great 99.9 percent of the time when filleting a large fish it does get in the way ( so carry a small allen wrench and take it off until you are done). Unfortunately this knife is also no longer in the Schrade line. It should be noted that the thumb stud comes in 2 sizes and the fillet knife takes the smaller while the thicker bladed lock backs the larger. The thumb studs can be found at any knife show and smokey mountain has sold them for years. Also while two of these knives are no longer being made they do come up now and then on ebay and the other auction sites.
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-10-2001).]

My favorite every day carry is my Uncle Henry Jr.Stockman. Thats right! It has served me for the last three years and I am sold for life. Actually I have four of them at all times. I am an electrician and the size is the magic. The smaller the better. For electrical work, 95% of the time the large clip blade can do most general duties. But the small pen and sheepsfoot are just the right size for the crampped areas your hand has to work in motor peckerheads and panelboards. The blades hold a good working sharpness for a long time. And for a day of extreme use the three blades will give you plenty of edge. Thermoplastic insulations and copper and copper tinned wire can kill and edge. For half inch diameter wire or larger I'll use a razor knife for skinning. The blade shapes all sharpen easy with my EZE LAP credit card diamond stones which I picked up at last years Blade Show in Atlanta.
To some it up, this is a high quality precion tool with three blades of edge that is also invisable in the front pocket and can come out of the washing machine clean and ready for work. What else can you expect from a woman..... I mean a knife. Also the scales look good and grip well and the woman is cost effective.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Will work for knives

Those are nice 632, especially the Sunfish model. I'll keep an open for one. I do like the Uncle Henrys to, the delrin stag looks darn near like the real thing, and 440A is never a bad way to go!

Back