Favorite Large Chopper

I'm hoping the one i'm making will be my favourite soon. Modifying a old cleaver i found into something like the Condor Hudson Bay.

I can't decide between these two. The curved one was a gift made by an old Thai blacksmith with whom I worked. Farmer knife. The other is a hill tribe knife from northern Thailand. Everyday carry type of knife. 10" blades. I acquired these in 1978/79.

1432043845_mymachetes1.JPG.9a4dceb8c2ad46dbef8e77fcc7b26f31.JPG

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Terävä Skrama 240 ? also the 80 ?

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Terävä Skrama 240 ? also the 80 ?

Got ‘em both. The 240, the original Skrama, is a brilliant camp knife. The dangler sheath is one of the best designs I have seen, not too important to me because I never wear it on my belt. If you are not going to wear it, the plastfc liner is plenty, and saves you some money. You can choke up on the long handle for close work and the change in balance transforms the knife. It is really noticeable. I feel like I am repeating myself here, maybe because I already posted at #7 above. I’ll say it again: best big chopper at a very good price.

The 80 is the mini Skrama. I got it for EDC, pocket carry. I have the bare tang and the sheath that goes with it, but it carries more compactly in the really ugly slip I made from a yogurt tub and some gorilla tape. It competes for pocket space with a couple of small Anzas and a BK14. I like it, but it hasn’t distinguished itself from the other small blades.

Got ‘em both. The 240, the original Skrama, is a brilliant camp knife. The dangler sheath is one of the best designs I have seen, not too important to me because I never wear it on my belt. If you are not going to wear it, the plastfc liner is plenty, and saves you some money. You can choke up on the long handle for close work and the change in balance transforms the knife. It is really noticeable. I feel like I am repeating myself here, maybe because I already posted at #7 above. I’ll say it again: best big chopper at a very good price.

The 80 is the mini Skrama. I got it for EDC, pocket carry. I have the bare tang and the sheath that goes with it, but it carries more compactly in the really ugly slip I made from a yogurt tub and some gorilla tape. It competes for pocket space with a couple of small Anzas and a BK14. I like it, but it hasn’t distinguished itself from the other small blades.
Thanks for that mate..appreciated.

I have just about everything listed on here so far (I love large choppers) but I will be honest with you... for the money the Kershaw Camp models are the best, especially the 10".

So a pruning saw and smaller axe/hatchet doesn't get it for you chopper guys? Like I said earlier, however, about the only thing I need is occasional firewood and even then, out here in the west, we're more careful with fires than we used to be. My Gerber pruning saws (the old style) and a couple Wetterlings seem to get 'er done when the need/desire rises.

Back