Favorite multi-tools??/

fracmeister

Petroleum Engineer
I have WAY too many. Here are the ones I actually use. I have a bunch of "bicycle" ones and so forth. Opinions on the best around???
View

View
:cool:

I use a Gerber Multi-Plier (older style, not the new locking "legend" models), a Leatherman Micra (keychain), a Swisstech Original (coin pocket), and I have a cheapo tool from Bike Nashbar. I need to get a better bike-tool with a chain-tool.

Oh yeah, the original multi-tool - I carry a Victorinox Tinker in my back pocket.

BTW, what's the little black multitool in the picture? It looks kind of like those Sebertech tools, but I didn't think the Sebertechs had fold-out tools (which this one appears to have).

The black one is an M4 Seeber tool which does have the foldouts. I think I have all the Seebertools. I keep forgetting to give them to my friends (last name Seeber) so I have duplicates. I guess the Wave is my all around favorite, but the only one I always cary is that swisstech utilikey.

My favorite by far is the Supertool. It has all locking tools, including a plain blade, serrated blade, and a (very good) saw. The Supertool is so solid that I've used it as a hammer both to pound in nails and to reclose a paint can, with no damage to it at all. It's a bit heavier than most other tools out there, but the thing's so damn sturdy that it's worth it to me, and most other tools just feel flimsy in comparison. The only thing its missing is a scissor, but I carry a Micra also so that's not a big deal. AND, you can get a ST on eBay for around $20! I haven't seen a better bang for the buck in a long time.

For me there are only Swiss Army Knives.

I carry a SwissTool on my belt.

A Locksmith in one kit.

And a Wegner Standard Issue in another kit.

I have a drawer full of these, as I regularly get hooked by the latest design and then lose interest. The ones that I actually use are the Utilikey (the best tool in the world won't help you if you don't have it with you), and the SAK Cyberknife, which lives in my briefcase. If I know I'm going to have a specific need for one, I usually take the Wave, but it's too much to carry every day.

I have:

2 full size leatherman's (PST and Wave)
2 half size leatherman's (don't remember what they are called)
1 Serber tool
1 Micra
numerous SAK's

I carry the Wave in my work bag, but carry the Serber Tool, Wave tool adapter with bits and a chopped adjustable wrench in a small nylon pouch in my front pocket (just the right size and not too heavy). Most of the time, I need a flat head or phillips and the tool adapter with the right bit is just the thing.

I'm looking to get a custom sheath made so I can carry the Wave as my EDC tool (love the one handed knife openings!).

S.

I love multitools. I dont think I have quite as many as fracmeister but here are my 2 bits worth.

My current favorite is Kershaws Multi-tool. Beats all the others that I have tried. I like the needlenose pliers, I like the locking mechanism, and I like the tool adaptor for it. A great tool that I wear for almost any outdoor or traveling activity.

I keep a Letherman Micra on one set of keys at work, and use it daily. I just wish it had pliers in place of sissors. This will get replaced soon.

I keep a Swisstech MicroTechnician+ on my regualar keychain, and I use it very often. I had several Serbertools, but I find that the locking mechanism that retains it on the key ring weakens over time and they have all been lost from my keychain. The locking mechanism on the Swisstech is much better IMHO, but I will admit that the Serbertool has a nicer design.

I want to get myself a utilikey, but I seem to be getting too many gadgets on my keyrings.

Brothers & Sisters of Tools,

Take a look at the reviews at:

www.equipped.com

under Gear & Equipment.

Multi-tools can be fun, and actually useful, if learned and used and cared for like any other piece of equipment.

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

I love my Leatherman Wave. Being able to open the plain and serrated blades one-handed is great. And it's pliers are way more comfortable to handle than were the ones on my old Super Tool (which I promptly unloaded once I got a Wave).

I like my Pulse, though I liked my Wave before it much too. Still the Wave will probably be replaced by the Supertool 200 when it arrives. The saw and awl and longer screwdrivers put it over the Pulse, especially since the scissors (the one tool the Supertool 200 doesn't have) on the Pulse, are subpar, in my opinion. Thus, size and weight, are the only advantage I see to the Pulse over the Supertool 200.

IMO, the SOG crossgrip is the coolest, smallest, handiest multitool available.:rolleyes:

Gotta love the new SOG PowerLock!!!

This tool is as heavy duty as a Leatherman SuperTool, AND A Gerber legend, and with MUCH better grip on the pliers, thanks to SOG's 'compound leverage'.

I've been carrying the SOG PowerLock for almost 2 weeks now, and I absolutely love it!!

I'll be doing a review on this tool shortly. Stay tuned!!

It is worthy of a look if you need a serious hard use multi tool.

I have a bunch of multi-tools, but I don't really have a favorite. Actually, the Victorinox Swiss Tool would probably be my favorite if it weren't so damn heavy. I really like the tools it has, but it's not real confortable for carrying around in the woods. The Leatherman Wave isn't bad, but it doesn't have an awl (which I find to be essential) plus the tools are kind of hard to get out, especially in rainy or muddy conditions. It's also no fun to clean after having been used in said rainy or muddy conditions. I have to admit that I'm pretty fond of the Leatherman Crunch, which doesn't seem to get much attention on these forums. Sure, it doesn't have nearly as many tools as the Wave or the Swiss Tool, but the locking pliers are really excellent and the whole package is quite light and packable. However, I'm always a sucker for the next interesting thing, so I'll probably be getting one or more of the Leatherman Juice Tools when they become available.

Favorite full-size multitool: the Gerber Pro-Scout. Not too heavy and just the right tools.

Medium size: Victorinox Super-Tinker. A large SAK but not too big to carry in my pocket.

Small size: Leatherman Micra all the way! My other small carry was the Victorinox Cadet but the Micra has more tools and is more compact.

But I'm really looking forward to checking out the Leatherman Juice.

Back