favorite/s swamp rats

I got a SW in hammered silver that came in the first round of grab bags, and I think it is thicker than the thick version from the time BPiatt was doing the scales

Not all of the GW's were that thin, but there are some thinner ones out there, and they've been showing up in the exchange fairly often lately. Definitely worth checking out! :thumbsup:

I keep missing the little suckers. There were like three or four in that one batch that got away, reasonable prices too :( Slippery little devils, but I'll nail one down eventually. :thumbsup:

I don't recall all the details, but I think we found that not only were the thinner vs. thicker SW's different, but then after digging into it, Ben found that the different runs (newer vs. older) were also different as well. Weird for something cut out with water jet or CNC.

I got a SW in hammered silver that came in the first round of grab bags, and I think it is thicker than the thick version from the time BPiatt was doing the scales

Well shoot, I didn't realize they were that varied. Good info to double check if a person is chasing scales.

I had a m6 once. Great knife and yes under appreciated for sure. The M9 is one knife I would buy. It's soooo sexy probably one of the sexiest big knives out there. Would be great to see a op2w bring them back.i surely don't need anymore big knives but the M9 is a wicked blade.

Were the M series the last of the DHT Rats ???

I have three Wardens I just realised (where the third came from I truly don't know !!) two was scales (one set I bought direct and one that came on a blade) and one with a para cord wrap. I also have a Skeleton Warden that is quite nice.

That's where mine on the previous page came from. Thickest I've seen, just slightly thicker than my 5 originals.

I keep missing the little suckers. There were like three or four in that one batch that got away, reasonable prices too :( Slippery little devils, but I'll nail one down eventually. :thumbsup:

Well shoot, I didn't realize they were that varied. Good info to double check if a person is chasing scales.

Yeah, just keep watching. They're more affordable now than they ever have been.

To be clear, the thickness isn't really what the issue is, it's that the width of the skeleton part is different around the perimeter. The cut-out seems to be identical on all of them, but some of the handles are bigger, others smaller.

Were the M series the last of the DHT Rats ???

I have three Wardens I just realised (where the third came from I truly don't know !!) two was scales (one set I bought direct and one that came on a blade) and one with a para cord wrap. I also have a Skeleton Warden that is quite nice.

Yeah, I think they were the last DHT offering, and if my memory is correct, the Swamp Rucki was the first major through-hardened offering (though it could have been the RMD, can't recall for sure which came first).

M9, on the top of my list...

aEhVjMnh.jpg

Were all the M series DHT'ed? Wardens and other smaller offerings? Were the HRLM's DHT'ed?

Nice M9 ragnerok ragnerok

Is that an LE? I thought they only came w/ black G-10..CS?

Love the micarta scales on that one.

Last edited:
Were all the M series DHT'ed? Wardens and other smaller offerings?

Nice M9 ragnerok ragnerok

Is that an LE? I thought they only came w/ black G-10..CS?

Love the micarta scales on that one.

This one i had done by the CS. Used to be coated and having a black paper handle, now it has a full flat height and slightly convex satin edge and blade. This and my BWM is my fav full tang Bussekin choppers.

Were all the M series DHT'ed? Wardens and other smaller offerings? Were the HRLM's DHT'ed?

I know these models are DHT: Chopweiler, original Ratweiler, M9. I think the Rat Mastiff is DHT. I don't see a hamon on the swamp warden I have that Tom Krein reground and scaled, the others are coated so not sure about them.

Elof is pretty up on this kind of thing elof_alv elof_alv

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a master list of which models had the DHT.

I know these models are DHT: Chopweiler, original Ratweiler, M9. I think the Rat Mastiff is DHT. I don't see a hamon on the swamp warden I have that Tom Krein reground and scaled, the others are coated so not sure about them.

Elof is pretty up on this kind of thing elof_alv elof_alv

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a master list of which models had the DHT.
Thanks Rat Finkenstein Rat Finkenstein
Thanks, HK

I remember reading that there is not a visible hamon on certain models.

A master list would be great.

none of the small blades are differential heat treat.

That too, the diffrential heat treat, is what makes the M9 my fav SR. Others With diffrential heat treat is the Battle Rat and the Desert Jack, favorites too.

Battle Rat, not so easy to see the heat treat in this pic..
LcwaTBkl.jpg

Desert Jack..
T2LCa6wl.jpg

M9..
2oZ8g6hl.jpg

Clean cuts With the M9..
E2kQ18Nl.jpg

Back