Favorite Shotgun Loads

all this shotgun talk got me to thinking
about good ammo...What do you use for your
shotgun ammo...me, 12 ga Rem 000 Tactical.

I am pretty happy with the Federal 00 buck low recoil tactical load myself. It does allow you to shoot a little longer on the range.

I have always liked Winchester XX loads. I have use low recoil Winchester rifled slugs on duty (slugs are all we carry) and like them, but would like the extra 600 fps. if I ever had to use em. The XX loads will definatly leave you with a sore sholder.

Reagan

I use Federal's Tactical #4 Buck rounds for home defense. They group amazingly well out of my Remington 870 Self Defense model.

--Bob Q

Dove loads for HD. Will not kill the kids in the next room. Hard to stitch. Honest Judge it was just my duck gun. Slugs for the street.

Right about the Dove/Rabbit loads. Esp. if over-penetration is an issue.

I did pick up a 3-pack of flechette loads, with those little steel darts in them. They kicked a$$ on 3/4"CDX, and actually went through a 3-4" tree ( a couple were were sticking out the other side and found exit holes for others). Definitely SHTF defense loads.... But they are pricey.

Anyone tried the Dragons Breath rounds, that shoot the fireball downrange? Wondered about those for true SHTF defense.

Now adays there are more and more exotic loads out there for 12ga. Anything from shells that shoot out chain mail to Whistling Mortar Shotgun Ammo. If you have never been to Firequest I recomend them for there 12ga. selection. http://www.firequest.com/ Let me know what you guys think. Some crazy loads thats for sure.

the firequest website is very interesting,,,thanks.
I was taking a CCW class and the instructor told
us to be careful with exotic loads...judge might
view it as "excessive and cruel and inhuman" however
I would "rather be judged by six than carried by
twelve" and "it's easier to get out of jail than
get out of a morgue"

Look guys, conventional 12 ga. loads are so deadly and efficient at stopping an attacker, there is absolutely no reason to use unproven exotic rounds, most of which have a reputation for being poorly made and more of a gimmick than a real load.

You put 3" #1 Buckshot in your SG and i can all but promise you will end an attack as quickly as is possible. 1 or 2 decently placed shots of #1 Buck, and its goodnight Irene. #1 is thought to offer the best balance between the number of pellets, size of pellets and penetration. IIRC, a 3" #1 Buckshot shell has 24 30 cal. pellets at about 1200 fps, and they'll penetrate an optimum 10-12". Tell me again why you want "Dragon's Breath", or ammo that whistles a tune??? :)

IMO Exotic loads are not for any type of defensive or practical application. They are to spice things up when Trap shooting with a group of strangers!! :D :D :D

Back