Favorite soap?

Trying to get some action here in this forum.
I’ve been using French triple milled soaps and like them a lot. Chez mon grand pere and a theophil berthod.
What do you like?

For the shower, I like Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap. It still has tallow, unlike the unfortunately-reformulated shave soap. Mild neutral scent, very creamy. The wife loves it too.

For hand-washing, I like those traditional Marseilles-type soaps. The easiest one to find, and it's quite good, is unfortunately named Kiss My Face. If you can look past that, it's a good soap.

What about shave soaps?
Saponifico Varesino, hands down. Tried a lot of them, and for me this is the one. Very slick, perfect for my straight razor shaves, and they are brilliant at scent. The Desert Vetiver is my favorite, and my wife's favorite on me.

Expensive to buy, but a large cake of triple-milled soap lasts for a whole lot of shaves.

I get great shaves with some of the Barrister and Mann and the Ariana and Evans soaps.

Skull is usually headblade stuff, I've found it works very well with a DE. Face is Taylors of old Bond St, and I keep some Proraso around for travel, since I can easily shove some in a small container and it will cover both well enough. I don't change it up much since I can order a block of ToBS every few years, it works well in a lot of water conditions.

I seem to get better shaves with non talo soaps. I don’t know why. The talo soaps lather so nicely but they aren’t as slick as the French soaps I’ve tried.

Nothing fancy. I've settled on the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood, but have used the Proraso Eucalyptus before & liked it.

I`m a medical herbalist so obviously I can make my own custom hot or cold melt soap, candles, essential oils, concretes and absolutes with a still.

For shaving I am currently using Castile liquid soap with peppermint, red cedar and cypress essential oils that is very astringent and a vasoconstrictor so cools and stops nicks and cuts in their tracks.

I love Marseilles soap or traditional olive oil soap from Greece and whilst living in the West Bank and Hurghada I used Nablus soap all the time.

I also have powdered fatakdi alum powder which I mix with essential oils so I`m good to go.
CASTILE_SOAP_AND_ESSENTIAL_OILS.jpg

Last edited:
I am sold on the Proraso refreshing shaving cream in a tube. Menthol and Eucalyptus wakes me up and works great. I enjoy the Derby Menthol Moisturising shave cream which is also in a tube. It is a little more slippery than the Proraso. I will from time to time use half a squirt of each mixed together. They work well mixed.

Back