Favorite steel to achieve the "sharpest" blade?

I have always been curious about what one steel different knife makers prefer for the sharpest, practical cutting edge they can achieve. By practical, I mean not a really thin edge that rolls easily or dulls after cutting a few yards of cardboard.

In particular, this relates to blades that are primarily slicers, and are less than 4" in length. Yes, I am on the hunt for another special knife or two.

I am not a knife maker, but a heavy user of knives to cut. I have knives in quite a few steels, both custom and production. My favorite for sharpness has been M2.

Thanks in advance for any opinion you can share.

52100 of course! there are some steels that are tougher, there are some steels that will out-cut 52100, but I havent found anything that displayes the ballance of 52100, ie. easy to sharpen, takes a fine edge and holds it forever, and wont' break like glass. Only thing if not cared for will spot and rust, but not as quikly as say the 10 series steels.

I haven't worked with any stainless so I can't comment on that, but I do know something about 52100, I have made several knives from 52100 and put it thru some pretty tough tests and it hasn't done anything but impress me. On the last 52100 blades I made and tested I was getting in excess of 400 cuts on a strand from a 1" hemp rope and they still didn't need any touch up, I was running out of rope to test with so I had to quit with 1 knife and start with another, if its handled and heat treated correctly it gets my vote for cutting ability, edge holding and strength. Just My opinion.

I know there are other makers that have high opinions of the steels they use also, but of the different steels I forge and heat treat 52100 would get the call. ;)

Bill

There may be steels that hold an edge longer, but I have heard many a maker say that there is something about W2; that it takes a different, more wicked type of edge. The fact that Bill Moran has used it as one of his favorites for all these years has got to say something for it.

Thanks for all of the replies, I am noticing a common theme to the answers - carbon steels. I am guessing that the carbide in the steels must provide the aggression for the cutting edge. I mentioned that my favorite was M2, well I also should have added that the 52100 Marbles blade I had was also wicked.

About S30V - the Scott Cook fixed blade at about 61RC was intensely sharp and aggressive. Cutting through paper it exited with a satisfying "Shhhhang". S30V might be the steel some thought it would be. For now, I am willing to trade off stain resistance for intense sharpness.

I have not yet seen anyone who made a framelock with a 52100 or other carbon steel blade, and have seen way too few folks make locking folders in carbon steel, except for Ed Caffery. I heard that Darrel Ralph made one EDC in 52100.

Please keep posting your opinions. There are no knife knutts in my town to discuss this subject with.

I'd like to try a framelock folder in 52100. I will have a couple later this summer with cable damascus. Right now S30v gets my vote for a great edge holding steel.

Yes the S30v is a good cutter and this time Crucible got the mix right.
S30V is very tough.
Last week at the camp Rob Simonich tested a S30v fixed blade to destruction.
He tried to break it off in a log (pounded the tip in)
after several repeats (pounding) he finally got the blade to bend only.
Then he took a piece of .125 thick x .375 wide steel . Placed the blade on it and hammered the edge through with a sledge.
The blade cut several pieces of steel without major damage.
Rob performed several cutting tests before going for the destruction tests.
The blade cut well also. It performed several of the Jerry Fisk cutting tests.

S30 does the trick. Good steel.
The s30 takes a great edge also.
As for sharpness, I still feel that the carbons take a sharper edge.
52100, 1084 ect take a very aggressive edge.
Stainless takes a different kind of edge when sharpening.

As for edge holding we didn't try one against the other.

I had a 5.5 MM dagger at the camp with S30 v. The owner said NO.
He didn't want to take it to destruction.;)

Just a few thoughts

Powder steels, hands down.
You can harden it to 65 HRc yet it is as tough as a more common steel at 55 HRc...
I have a pwder steel damascus blade knife I use everyday to cut paper, cardboard and other edge dulling materials, and had to sharpen it once in seven months. Is the cloesest thing to "alien metal" you can get without ringing the door bell at Area 51 :D

Back