Favorite Underwear

I've tried all sorts of underwear, but have never really found a type that was a clear favorite. Boxers to me didn't offer enough support, the worst was when I wore them to my MMA class and we would practice side stepping around the gym, my balls would swing around like a bell clapper and hit my legs - very uncomfortable. Also, they would tend to twist around when the loose fabric would tend to contact my pants, and the waist would try to stay in place because it was under pressure from my belt.

Briefs offer more support, but I hate them when it gets hot or humid and my balls start sticking to my inner thigh and my privates start sticking to my sack. One pair I got that was too tight literally started chaffing my crack on a hike - and that was painful. Sounds funny, sounds like a joke, but that's the way it was.

Also, I find most underwear not to be very durable. I guess they keep the material light weight for comfort, but I get pissed when I find holes in my underwear after a short time. I mean, there are a lot of things I would rather spend my money on, you know?

So, if you've found a comfortable, durable type of underwear, I sure would like to hear about it.

To avoid chafing on hikes I like em
-stretchy
-long (just above knee)
-thin
-seamless
-quick drying

For everything else there is thin briefs.

Dishonorable mention goes to cotton boxers out of thick material that do not go far enough down the leg. Those will get sweaty, stay wet, ride up the leg and chafe you raw. They are durable and cheap though.

Well, for sports, something like Underarmour is good. Otherwise, Haynes boxerbriefs all the way.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about compression shorts. They're made by a bunch of the big name athletic wear companies (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour) and a couple others (I think Starter makes them too). They generally range between boxer length and just above the knee, made of polyester and spandex blends, and a single layer. Since mine are polyester, they are equivilant to Nike's "DryFit" clothes and wick sweat.

I always had two sets. Briefs for the gym and boxers for the rest of the time. That might be the way to go.

As for durability I highly recommend ex-oficio. They cost a lot per pair but they last a good 3-4 years which saves you money in the long run. I finally replaced them last year but only because the elastic was loose and I lost 30 pounds. They're also the most comfy I've tried. They breath well, wick moisture and don't have a funk to them if you happen to wear them for more than a day like on a backpacking trip. They were designed for travelers to cut down on luggage so you wouldn't need to check baggage. Their ad says something like "7 days, 5 countries, and 2 pairs of undies" or something to that effect.

Balls sweat. Not much you can do about it. Duluth Trading has some great undies. The Buck Naked line I think it's called. My wife got a few last year, and they were a godsend over the summer. No chafed balls all summer long. That was the first time in a long time I could say that.

I've tried UA boxer briefs and hated them they don't let your junk breath. Have been wearing Banana republic boxer briefs for the last 6-7 years, love them. Recently found Ex Officio boxer briefs before a vacation to Maui, they are hand washable and dry in 30 minutes or less ordered 4 pair so far.

Duluth Trading has some great undies. The Buck Naked line I think it's called. My wife got a few last year, and they were a godsend over the summer. No chafed balls all summer long. That was the first time in a long time I could say that.

I picked up about 15 of the Duluth Buck Naked briefs. These are going to last me forever. Even on the worst hot humid summer day, I could forget I was wearing them, totally breathable, total support. They work just fine in cold weather too.

I really like boxer briefs. They offer the best of both worlds. Try Tilley Endurables boxer briefs. Very comfortable, quick dry. Two pair are all you need to travel the world:D

Duluth Trading Company buck naked underwear is your answer. I have three pairs and have ordered four more!

Used to wear jockey type briefs all my life but in the past few years I've gotten bad cases of jock itch which almost drove me crazy. Imagine being in a public place with an overwhelming desire to scratch the netherparts.

I now wear boxer shorts and couldn't be happier. Hanes seems to be good quality. No support though.

UnderArmour O series Boxerjock. These are NOT compression shorts, which I hate. They fit close like a normal boxer/brief, but are highly breatheable, dry quickly, stretch and move with you, and don't chafe.
I have several pair of those that I use for all my hiking, and outdoor stuff. Have about 8 each of Terramar's 4 way stretch and ribbed Coolmax boxer briefs that I use for casual and work wear.
Interested in trying their "Tech Mesh Pro Jersey" boxer briefs, as they look a lot like my UA Boxerjocks, but at a lower price..

I like Under Armour boxer jocks for hiking and their compression shorts for weight bearing excursive.

I wear Eastern Mountain Sports synthetic boxer briefs on outdoorsy adventures. Support, wicking and the newer ones stink much, much less than the first generation synthetic underwear I had years ago. Something about a treatment they give 'em or something. Expensive, but worth it in the long run, just like good synthetic or merino wool socks.

For everyday wear, I use Hanes or Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs.

Hanes Boxer Briefs regular for Every day wear and hiking

Hanes Boxer Briefs comfort waistband for working out - hiking, gym, running and bike riding

They ride differently, and the comfort band's leg area seems to be thicker so I avoid fatty upper thigh rub.

Experimenting with Minus 33 brand Merino wool boxer briefs for work and hiking, very very impressed with them for work (super comfy, no swass), hiking is eating them up - see the Hanes comfort waistband issue..

Back