FBI LB7or LB8

I got this in todays mail.It is one of the FBI Agents Assc. knives supposed to be from 1981.I bought it for my brother-in-law who is a retired agent.It is a great knife but is it a LB7 or a LB8.I guess I need to get away from my fixed blades and buy more folders.Arnold

Attachments

• PICT0073.JPG
    PICT0073.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0074.JPG
    PICT0074.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 38
An LB-7 pattern SFO. Here is what I have from the Codger files:

FBI - An LB7 was made for the Federal Bureau of Investigation Agents Association in 1996, FBI7S. With brass bolsters, burnt stag handles, coined antique brass shield, and gold filled Baron blade etch. It came in a laser engraved cherry box, 1,500 pieces serialized.

Hope this helps. Yours might be a different edition than I have in my records. Any papers under the tray?

Michael

I finally broke out the magnifying glass and found the 1981 in the blade etch.No papers came with it.Thanks,Arnold

Arnold, Beautiful FBI knife, does yours have a serial number. I have one of these, I didn't get the nice box for it and it does not have any serial number. Michael, what is the difference between an LB-7 and an LB-8 other than the Stagalon handles for the LB-8. Both the LB-7 and LB-8 have the same blade length and are on the same frame from what I can tell. Also with regards to the FBI knife, were they all serialized or just the first run. Thanks, Scott

Arnold, Thank you, the FBI knife you have bought for your brother-in-law resembles my FBI knife. The example Michael has shown clearly shows a serial number and the stag handle is puffier than ours, sort of like the military commemorative set with the large Bowie. I wonder why they are so different. This is a great gift you have bought for your brother-in-law, I am sure he deserves it. All the best, Scott

I also have one but mine is different. It isn't serialized and in the shield, mine is blank. I noticed yours has the scales of justice. I have the shield there but there is no engraving. Mine also came in the same box as Arnold's. But, for $27, it's a great knife either way.

I need to correct what may be a mistake.Could you guys that have one of these check the gold emblem on the blade for the year 1981 between the scales.1981 is the year the group was founded not the year the knife was produced.Michael may have been right on his 1996 info.Arnold

Scott sent me this closeup of the blade for viewing..

FBI%20Seal%201.jpg

FBI%20Seal%202.jpg

Thanks Larry for posting that.It appears Michael is right as usual.1996 is the production year.Arnold

I am quite often wrong. I just happen to have the factory file where they were developing and producing the FBI7. The art matches the art from the file, but it is a xerox of the art, a line art mockup. If you have no serial numbers, the knives were likely rejects or overruns held in stock and included in the WIP. Unless...there was an earlier production run not in my records.

Michael

A "Little" more info ;)
The FBI's 1st order was signed late 12/95 for 500 due 4/96 with a total of 1500. They also orderd a special "Bomb Tech" version fixed blade that was also produced in 96. I believe there are pictures of the FBI's BTV07 in the BF archives.
TTYL
Larry

Good information gents. Cool knives, as well.

Arnold, we're gonna hafta get you a bigger telescope...:D

Bill

I agree.My magnifying glass is too weak.By the way one of your little friends tried to get in my bed last night.I was up the rest of the night with the creepy crawlies.There wasn't enough left of it to get a picture.I couldn't tan this one.Arnold

Back