Fear of carrying customs?

Ron Sabbagh

LOVE YOUR COUNTRY
Gold Member
I have often carried my custom knives on special occasions, but I'm hesitant to carry my customs on a daily basis. My fear is that, when the knife is due for sharpening and a "tune up", the custom maker will be too busy for a fairly quick turn around. What are your experiences?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ron Sabbagh:
<snip>What are your experiences?</font>

I'm about to get my first custom folder, and already have a custon fixed that is engraved. I have NO problems using the one I have, or the one I'm getting. If it gets dull, sharpen it. It's a tool

Then again, I once told someone that if you handed me a Lindsay engraved Lake folder, it would instantly become my every day carry!

Right now I have a Darrel Ralph Arc lite in my pocket. So yes I do carry a custom daily. I have also sent it in for some extra work on it and it was returned in a week. Damn good turn around I think. Darrel you are the man.

Fear Not... Carry On!
Part of the service issue depends on the maker's attitude and your relationship with him(/her). I've never had a problem getting a custom tuned-up or serviced.
Besides, someday a giant asteroid is going to slam into the planet and then that little scratch on the blade won't matter one bit- and you will have had the pleasure of carrying a nice knife!

I admit to taking a little extra caution when I carry a custom. Of course I find myself carrying a custom n a daily basis. I usually rotate between two, one is a standard issue Crawford Kasper with a bead blast ti frame and the other is a Boguszewski Wegner. I will use these knives but 99% of my daily use involves cutting tape, string, or some simple something such as that. I ALWAYS make sure that nothing else rides in my right front pocket with the knife. I always carry a smaller slipjoint in my left pocket in case someone ask to borrow my knife. I enjoy being able to carry a knife that not a lot of other people are likely to have in their pockets, but I hate hearing, "man thats a nice knife, I bet that cost close to fifty dollars." I usually just smile and say "yeah" since there is often no sense in trying to explain why it cost 10 times that and why I was willing to spend that much. But I guess that is another story.

What I have found out is that after that first mark the others don't hurt as bad. I have also found out that most makers will refinish the knife back to new condition for next to nothing and sometimes nothing at all. So carry on, fear not, and ENJOY!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

If the knife is really pretty I rppobably won't carry it. If it is user type of custom, I just make sure I don't have keys or other things that can scratch in the knife pocket.

It does not bother me one bit to carry and use a custom. I will do anything I need to with them. They may get a little scratched, but they are still more fun to use...dunno why, but they are
smile.gif

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas...

I am in the fortunate situation of choosing to carry a Chris Reeve small sebenza (wood inlay)or customs from Kit Carson and Joel Chamblin. My original thinking was to carry the Reeve since he has a factory production shop and turnaround will be quick if I need sharpening or repairs. I know Kit has a >20 month wait list, and I would feel silly asking Kit to turn around my "knife tune-up" in a timely manner. After hearing your experiences, I will now favor the custom!!

Ron

Part of the price that you pay when you buy a custom is customer service. My experience is that makers take good care of their customers. Chris Reeve, Tom Mayo, Darrel Ralph and Ernie Emerson generally have turn around times that are about one or two weeks. I think that they figure that you have already done the waiting for the knife (when you ordered it), so when you send it in for repair, modification or sharpening, the maker will make it a priority to get you your knife back. Also they charge very little for their service. I've sent my customs back for minor tweaks and enclosed a check for return mail. Got my knife back in a week along with the uncashed check! Send in a production (I don't consider Chris Reeve a production knife) knife for repairs and you can kiss that baby goodbye for 4-6 weeks.

Good philosophies here. I have even carried some higher end stuff at times (belive me they are babied, but what is the use in owning them).

Come to think of it all have been toted at least once (other than the daggers, fancy hunters and damascus bowies.) They are no fun when all they do is park in the safe.

As far as Custom utility/tactical knives in their non fancy garb, to me they are nothing short of a pleasure to use and carry. Just got back from out of town and the DA Apogee was in my jeans pocket the whole time. The only thing I avoid is having anything other than the knife in my pocket.

------------------
" The real art of living is to keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post in memory of James Mattis

What a great topic of discussion! My theory is to treat customs like you would a classic car. If it is strictly for investment purposes keep it in pristine condition at home. If it is obtained for collecting purposes then use it and enjoy showing it to others. When someone says "you must have paid $50 for it...tell them you paid $75 and smile all the way home. Carry on!!!

------------------

No fear, here! If you are fortunate enough to own a custom, feel fortunate enough to carry one. One of the many small pleasures in life for sure. Just got my EDC back from DDR after having a tune up. It had a few blemishes when it went out but actually looked better than new when I got it back (just love that new handle finish, Darrel
biggrin.gif
). Having the knowledge that your chosen maker can correct any problem you might have in a timely manner goes a long way in easing any anxiety you may have. Go for it, you will never regret it!

Looks like my next custom will be from Mr. Ralph. You guys have certainly had great experiences with him. I've always admired his work from "afar" (ie., on the net) but have never handled one of his knives. Anyone know if Darrel will be at the ECCKS in NY this March?

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron Sabbagh (edited 02-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ron Sabbagh (edited 02-05-2001).]

If a custom knife is made one at a time by hand (perchance with some help from power tools) then I don't have any customs. On the other hand, if you take the word "custom" in the loosest sense (any knife not make in a big knife factory), then I have a number of them from Chris Reeve, Newt Livesay, and Bob Dozier. Of these, I don't hesitate to use the Livesay's and the Reeve's everywhere. They are true "tactical knives" which I take to mean built rugged, intended for use, and maybe even a little abuse. My Dozier (his "Master Hunter" from A.G. Russel) is another story though... That knife is so specialized, and so sharp, that I carry and use it for only one job, skinning. I always make sure I have something else (usually my CRK or Livesay) for all those other jobs a knife has to do around a camp.

Ron,
Great choice! I currently have a few knives for sale on the exchange forum to finance a Mad Maxx from Darrel that should be here at the end of the month, or earlier I hope!!!
I plan on carrying this one also. I have found that with a minimum of care you can carry a custom with no harm to it. Just be sure to carry a SECOND knife with you at ALL TIMES!!

Forgot to mention that I have a Crawford Tiger comming in on Wednesday. This one has a 4" blade and will occupy my pocket for a while, of course it will have to share time with the Kasper and Wegner! Pat and Wes make some FINE carry/using customs that are STOUT. The last few I have purchased have been the tightest I have ever gotten from Pat. Locks are super strong and everything lines up perfect. Hard to beat the Crawford's for using cutlery!

Again great choice!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

[This message has been edited by artsig1 (edited 02-05-2001).]

I can't talk about turn around times from a custom maker but what happens when your Elishewitz OM-3 gets confiscated at an airport south of the U.S. border,you learn a very valuable lesson !!

------------------
JimBob

i'm pleased to see these comments.
smile.gif
i feel the same, ron. i carry a kit carson # 4 and a small sebbie daily. carry and enjoy!

------------------

a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.
The only thing better than a good knife is a good woman:D
A few of my Knives
russ aka blade zealot

I spent about an hour talking with Tony Bose a little while back. I was ordering a knife from him. We talked about his work and other makers. Tony almost insisted
wink.gif
that I should use his knife, and he meant use it hard. To him, it wasn't worth buying if not meant to be used. When I get it, I will have to think long about carrying it.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jmp343 (edited 02-06-2001).]

I never used to carry my customs, because I was afraid of damaging them. And even though I carry them now I am still cautious. When I am not at work I usually carry one of my customs and a backup, one of my BM's or Spydie's. I whip out the custom whenever I can, but the heavy work goes to the production.

I'll have to say though, I'm starting to feel more comfortable toting around my customs. Just as it feels so much better to look at my customs at home than it does my productions, it feels that much better to carry them.

Besides, I'm not much of an invester. And I never want to die with vacation days, money in my pocket or an empty stomach. I wanna live life to the fullest. And in the same manner, I'd hate to pass and have someone find all these beautiful customs in a drawer... untouched. Why train if you're never going to run the race?

I don't know... that's just me.

Eric.

Back