Federal Courthouses

kamagong

Gold Member
What's the deal on bringing our beloved pocketknives into Federal Buildings? Can we bring them and check them in? Any size limitations?

I used to have a fair amount of business in the United States District Court for the Central District of California (downtown Los Angeles courthouse). They had a metal detector that was set to such high sensitivity that my boss had to take off his shoes and hand them through separately. It was picking up the steel shanks in the soles.

Generally, they won't let you bring in anything bigger than a TINY nail file knife (and even those may now be out). I once forgot that I had a small lockback folder in my briefcase and they made me take it back to my car. They wouldn't store it (at least they didn't confiscate it or charge me with any offense).

I heard of a woman lawyer being prosecuted for bringing a SAK into a state courthouse up in the Santa Barbara area, but don't know th final disposition of the case.

My bottom-line advice is to leave everything in your car.

By the way, I like your wood a lot! Only wish I could get some sticks made out of that great stuff.

Best Regards,

DPD.

As a general rule anything vaguely considered a weapon is forbiden inside courthouses, federal or otherwise.

Knives of all shaped and sized ure typically considered weapons, for our purposes.

DPD,

I have business at Central District several times a week, sometimes several times a day. You're right about the hypersensitive metal detectors, just yesterday I had to remove both my shoes and belt, on two separate occasions. I think that even eyeglasses set them off! I normally wouldn't think of bringing knives into a Federal building, but lately I've encountered a lot of aggressive panhandlers. Most of them are okay, but some set off red lights (i.e. they're drunk or something similar). I don't want to be caught with my pants down (pardon my saying) if I can help it.

DPD, one more thing. Have you looked at www.kriscutlery.com ? They offer kamagong sticks at a pretty good price. They even offer two sizes.

[This message has been edited by kamagong (edited 05-17-2001).]

See, if you have a cool GSA (General Services Administration) badge like I do, you can walk right around the metal detectors.

How's this for federal security -- I have a badge that allows me into the federal building in Boston. However, I have not been employed by the GSA for nearly 2 years, but the badge does not expire for another 3 months or so. *shakes my head*

I'm pretty sure that the law is 1.5" on federal property, which obviously counts out most SAK's, etc. In fact, when i went to interview for that gov't job, I had a (cheap BM-knockoff) folder in my pocket, which was confiscated at the metal detector. The gentleman I interviewed with was pretty ticked off about it, and hunted down the rent-a-cop who had confiscated the knife, demanding that it be given back to me (which it was.)

Once I started working there, I was given a badge which exempted me from the metal detector, so I was free to carry whatever I wanted. Pretty silly overall, if you ask me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JBoS6:
See, if you have a cool GSA (General Services Administration) badge like I do, you can walk right around the metal detectors.

How's this for federal security -- I have a badge that allows me into the federal building in Boston. However, I have not been employed by the GSA for nearly 2 years, but the badge does not expire for another 3 months or so. *shakes my head*

I'm pretty sure that the law is 1.5" on federal property, which obviously counts out most SAK's, etc. In fact, when i went to interview for that gov't job, I had a (cheap BM-knockoff) folder in my pocket, which was confiscated at the metal detector. The gentleman I interviewed with was pretty ticked off about it, and hunted down the rent-a-cop who had confiscated the knife, demanding that it be given back to me (which it was.)

Once I started working there, I was given a badge which exempted me from the metal detector, so I was free to carry whatever I wanted. Pretty silly overall, if you ask me.
</font>

I frequently visit Federal Buildings (this particular one has an IRS field office in it, as well as BATF).

After a few times when I had to prove all my electronic devices worked and of course, my boots, belt and hat had to come off. I learned a bit.

Now, I have to leave everything locked in the car and even then I still wind up taking off my belt and shoes.. sigh... Yeah, they freaked over the leatherman and the MT...

And to think, employees have a back entrance where they don't get searched...

[This message has been edited by axolotls (edited 05-17-2001).]

Kamagong,

Thanks for the reference to Kriscutlery. I used to see them at the Pomona show but as you know, the anti-gun ____bags in our local government killed that.

You might be amused by a kamagong experience I once had. There was an elderly, weathered, tough-looking Filipino gentleman selling kamagong sticks at a show. I said to him that I assumed kamagong was a Tagalog word and wondered what the English translation was. He smiled at me and said in somewhat rough English: "It mean 'hurt like a mf'er.' " I laughed pretty hard but thought it was probably as good as any other translation!

I don't know whether it would work, but you might be able to address the aggressive panhandler problem with one of the inexpensive rattan canes from Cold Steel and other sources. They are light enough to use like a single eskrima stick----especially if you've been training with something heavy like kamagong. Of course, you might have to limp slightly to get past the security. Just a thought.

By the way, are you doing any training while in LA?

Best of luck,

DPD.

This summer I intend to do some experimenting with "nonweapons" at our courthouse, Federal building, and maybe some other places.

Canes, 1 lb. handweights, varied flashlights, racquets, and whatever else I can think of.

That way I can better inform students of how the various places work.

I think I'll take off everything else when I do this, except maybe for an expired OC spray can (I got plenty of those). If they confiscate it, no big deal. Of course I'll make a fuss if they don't let me "check it" until I leave. I'll also ask where their "protection policy" is which assures me that my safety is guaranteed while "in their care."
smile.gif

Ever looking to "get away with" recovering my basic right to go armed,
Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by axolotls:
And to think, employees have a back entrance where they don't get searched...</font>

And a darn good thing we have that back entrance. Otherwise I might not be able to bring any knives with me to work.
tongue.gif

Dave

Back