Ferro notch

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but nobody has experienced or heard of the ferro notch on the S!K blade weaken it, have you? Would the addition of a notch compromise the blade in battoning or heavy chopping like the notorious Buck Hoodlum notch?

Thanks for laying my fears to rest!

Last edited:
I think thatthe hoodlum had problems becausethe notch was cut so deep. The SK notch is very shallow.

Yea have them on a couple S!K's just to try them out, as Riz stated, they're pretty shallow, but throw sparks really well, depending on your ferro rod, swedish fire steels at .085 seem to fit in there just right. I've used up to a half inch one on my GSO6 and it still worked just fine.

Done as subtly as they are, it's not anything I'd be concerned about with in terms of structural integrity for the blade. I know on some other blades from other manufacturers this has happened, but the CPM steels and the heat treat from PHT seems to be a very stout combo for what most of us could reasonably throw at them.

The fero notch is a rounded slot, not a straight cut out section like the BH. It will cause zero stress.

You guys are awesome. I figured Guy wouldn't do something damaging to an amazing blade design, but my mind tends to fixate on things. Still pictures only show so much, so it is helpful to hear from people who actually held it and used it.

The molecular structure of a CPM steel makes it highly unlikely that the blade would crack or suffer damage.

There are no molecules in steel !!! Only crystals . However the fine carbides and uniform structure along with a proper notch will greatly resist cracking !!

Back